“Dark, dank and depressing.”

Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station)
Ranked #28 of 178 Hotels in Indianapolis
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Dark, dank and depressing.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed here in September. My frist impression...what a weird hotel. It looks more like a warehouse. We arrived and were given a room with a view of the inside of the hotel...more specifically a train. We had no outside window and the room was dark and depressing. As I was unpacking (barefoot) I sat down and felt something soft and frilly with my toe...I looked down...it was a pair of dirty underpants. Gross. At night we were awakened by drunken teenagers running through the halls. The walls were paper thin. The bathroom was dank and depressing like the rest of the hotel. We could have stayed at the Omni or a number of other nice hotels for almost the same price. Don't stay here....find soemthing better for your money!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
CDKKA, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, November 18, 2010
Good Afternoon,

I would like to thank you for your comments, we hope to learn from any and all observations of and about our hotel. The owners of the hotel had a vision when they put this hotel together, they wanted to save and see a historical venue put to the best use possible and not left to decay and go away. The challenges of operating a venue within a venue can be interesting and fun but sometimes we just can't do or have what others do. I am really sorry that you did not enjoy your stay and I apologize for our mis-step in our housekeeping program. I will be sharing your thoughts with the associates and the ownership with true hopes to improve what we can. Again thank you for taking the time to share your feelings about your stay.

CDA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Korean first
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2010

My wife and I love the Crowne Plaza at Union Station. It has a lot of character and is very relaxing. The pool and hot tub are also very relaxing. We highly recommend this hotel. The service is remarkable!

Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Good Afternoon,

I just wanted to thank you for your kind comments about our hotel. I will share them with our associates and the ownership. One of our goals is to create great memories and it appears we did just that for you and that makes us very happy. Again thank you for taking the time to let us know your thoughts, come and see us again one day.

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2010

Just stayed at the Crowne Plaza Union Station on business and it has to be the noisiest hotel I've stayed in, and I've been staying in hotels on business since 1987. The hotel is historical and nostalgic as it was, and still is, a working train station. Upon check-in they tell you that trains still run giving a "unique ambience" to the hotel. What they don't tell you is that, in some rooms, the trains sound like they are going right through your sleeping room......midnight, 2 am, 5 am. Then one morning, in addition to the trains, they were working on the tunnels with a jack hammer at 7 am!!

The walls in my room were so thin I could here the people in the next room talking, I could hear their TV and it was louder than the TV in my room, I could hear their shower and even when they opened the closet door and removed a hangar!

I am also a Priority Club member and upon check-out I went to the front desk where club members are supposed to be "priority" and was told there's only one line, get in line.

Not good, especially when you're bringing a meeting of 75 people to the hotel and spending a good deal of money.

However, if you're nostalgic and enjoy historical sights and don't mind the noise then this place is for you!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Mtg-Planner-Trips
CDKKA, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, November 17, 2010
Good Afternoon,
I wanted to take a moment and thank you for your observations and comments, we do try to learn from our guest's many experiences, both good and not so good. I wish to apologize for letting you down and having you leave with a memory such as this. Our owners were and are aware of our challenges with being in an active train station, for some it is what they are looking for and for others it is not. I thought we were doing a good job in our marketing and making our guests aware of the trains when they check in so that if possible we could make adjustments to room location, it appears we have work to do in this area. I am not sure what took place when you were checking but I will share your comments with our guest service manager so that this does not happen to others. Again I am sorry for the poor experience and we will strive to grow with your comments.

New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2010

As you've probably read in other reviews, this hotel is in a converted train station. Yes, the trains tend to rattle adn shake a little, but it's not too distracting. The environment itself is enough to make it worth trying - especially if you trvel frequently. I'm tired fo waking-up wondering what city or hotel I'm in - that's not a problem here.

Rooms are clean and a little tired - bathrooms could use some sprucing, tv's could be updated. The work space in guestrooms is productive, although you have only one power outlet. The pool and exercise area seem fine. The restaurant is a disappointment - after a so-so breakfast Day 1, I left and went to a nearby restaurant for something cheaper and better on Day 2. Smoker's surround the fornt doors - not a pleasant trip in/out of the hotel (and I made that trip about 10 times).

Location is great - right next to the soon-to-pen convention center, a stone's throw from Lucas Field (Colts Stadium), and plenty of restaurants within three blocks.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank medicalalert
CDKKA, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, October 9, 2010
Good Morning,
I wanted to take a moment and thank you for taking the time to let us know your feelings and observations about our hotel during your stay. We strive to create great memories through exceeding our guests expectations, it seems we almost achieved our goal. I will share your comments with all associates and our ownership, we will use them to learn where we have failed. I am sure that if we came up short in pleasing you in certain areas we probably had the same affect on others. Again your comments are really appreciated and we will make use of them to the best of our ability.
Take Care & Have a Great Day,
Brooklyn, NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2010

Booked a room for business. Me and a coworker sharing a room to be closer to the action downtown (as oppose to 2 rooms by the airport). Boy I wish I hadn't. We got stuck with one bed. No space for a cot. No apology from the manager or staff. They actually found it kind of funny when we asked for a room with 2 double beds, which is what I thought I had booked. They said they were full up but we came right at check in and we asked at the counter. When asked if they could see what they could do, they said they would call us back regardless, they never did. No one ever apologized to us either, for the inconvenience, like I said before they seem to find it funny. Having to stay in a bed with a co-worker on business is not funny.

Unless you are with a convention, they don't really seem to care about you.

Last small thing: They never had water in the vending machines (any of the vending machines, my entire stay I told them about it twice). I suspect that's because they sell it in the gift shop for 50 cent more. Not a big deal, but just seemed par for the course.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Good Morning,
I wish to thank you for your comments and I am very sorry we that we did not please you. I want you to know that as the General Manager I and we do care about all of our guests, we do not want anyone to think we pick and choose. I am at a loss as to why and how we seemed to have ruined your visit to Indy, but from your review we certainly did. Please be assured I will use your comments in our on going training program so that this does not happen to another guest. Again, I apologize and hope one day you might give us another chance to please you.
Springfield, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2010

The room was lovely, bathroom was very small but a great shower head and heat lamp. A very friendly staff with the exception of the manager when we checked in who was quite arrogant. The restaurant meat was excellent. It's located close to the convention center and many restaurants so you can park the car and walk. The major problem was sleeping, even though the beds were very comfortable, the train noise and whistle was very loud. They provided ear plugs but I couldn't wear them and even when I tried I could still hear the train. Perhaps it was my room location and not all the rooms are as noisy. That's the biggest criticism and they did everything possible to help with the noise. If you're a light sleeper like me this may not be the place for you.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Good Morning,
Thank you very much for your comments, our goal is to create good and positive memories as we are here to please. You are correct we are challenged with being located in an active train station and actually in an area of the station that is adjacent to the active tracks. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay for the most part and we apologize for not totally meeting your expectations, if ever in Indy again please give us another chance to exceed your expectations and create a great memory for you.
Indianapolis
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2010

No one at the hotel explained to us that Union Station is still an active train station - you cannot tell by the exterior at all! At midnight we were awakened to the sound of a freight train running past our room. The walls shook and it sounded like an earthquake. It happened about five times during the night and scared us to death!

The walls are paper thin also. The room next to us had their TV on at 3 a.m. and we could hear it as if they were in the room with us. Not a good night's sleep.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
CDKKA, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, October 8, 2010
Good Afternoon,
I am very sorry that we let you down, we have try to let everyone know that we are an operating train station, this is to be done in virtually all of our ads and promotion materials, thru our reservation center, and at our front desk; it appears that we did not get that message to you. I will use your comments with in all of these areas to try and do a better job of communicating with our guests. As for the TV in the room next to you, again I apologize we have our security moving through out the hotel all night long trying to prevent noise problems of any type. I will work on this with them with the hopes that this does not happen to someone else. Again, thank you for your comments and we will use them to do better.