“Amazing and historic!”

Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station)
Ranked #29 of 182 Hotels in Indianapolis
Sylvania, Ohio
“Amazing and historic!”
Reviewed July 23, 2009

This hotel without a doubt is one of the most spectacular places I have ever stayed. Not because of the food, the staff, or the rooms. But because of the historical aspect that it brings. It is the original train station that was built in the early 1900's. And when Holiday Inn purchased and restored it in the 70's they kept almost all of the original structure. It is absolutely beautiful! My husband and I ventured out of our room one evening, we stumbled upon the actual Pulman train inside the building. We then realized that this was more than just a train to look at...they had converted the cars into hotel room you could stay in. At was awesome! As we explored more of the hotel, we found ourselves where the ballrooms were located. We made our way through corridors and found the original Union Station lobby. Very spooky at night, i must say. The bar area resembled something out of The Shining, although very beautiful. The lobby itself was vast with balconies now remodeled into offices. A security guard checked on us and was able to turn on lights for us so we could see this beautiful place in it's glory. In the hallway part of the lobby still stood old ticket booths. I could just picture ladies in their large hats and gentlemen in their suits or immigrants arriving. It was really a magical place. As we walked through the hallways near the grand hall the hotel had numbered standing boards with pictures and writings telliing the history of this building from the time it was built to when it was closed as a train station all the way to when it was purchased and renovated as a hotel. It was quite a treat to realize where I was and the history that had passed through this place.

Our room was neat, clean and spacious. My husband is a gold member with Holiday Inn so upon arrival they upgraded us to the club level. Staying at this level you have the privlege of receiving continental breakfast in the morning and appetizers in the early afternoon. A nice suprise to us. The hot tub and pool were clean and well maintained. The only thing about the hotel that people may find annoying is that another part of it still serves as a train station. So you will hear and feel the rumbling of the trains passing by. To us it just made our trip that much more memorable.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
CDKKA, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, September 9, 2009
Good Afternoon,
It is such a pleasure to know that we created a memory for you. We are proud of our hotel and it's history and our part in bring it to our guests. Our owners had a vision when they began this project and that was to bring a little history to their guests as well as a hotel that people would remember. I believe that they accomplished there goal when I read your comments. I will share this with our associates as the really enjoy hearing what our guests think of us. Thank You.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Korean first
Manhattan, Illinois
Reviewed July 20, 2009

We stayed at this hotel with 1 goal in mind. Our kids love trains and wanted to experience the pullman cars. The staff and front desk were very friendly and helpful. The layout of the hotel is odd but you have to understand the historic significance of the building itself. I'm a very light sleep and the rumble of the trains woke me up twice in the night. My husband and children slept right through it. It wasn't loud just the bed shaking lightly. We didn't eat in the restaurant. There was a convention in town so the hotel was very crowded. I would probably call ahead next time to make sure there were no conventions in town before I book a stay. We walked to the Old Spaghetti Factory to eat dinner which was a 2 block walk and a very enjoyable meal. The pullman car rooms are long and narrow which is to be expected. The double beds are very small so be prepared. There is a small refridgerator located in the room. If you have a larger family, you can get adjoining cars. The pool looked small but clean. The children's museum is a short drive away. I was concerned that the pullman cars would be musty but I had no issues. Overall, we will stay here again!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Good Afternoon,
We are pleased that you and your family enjoyed our hotel and it's history. This hotel is very unique and fun to operate because of it's history and what the owners tried to accomplish when they created their plans and goals. One of their goals was to create memories and it seems from your comments that they did just that. It is also great to hear that the associates played a part in your stay, I will share your comments with them.
Thank You Again for Being our Guest.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 13, 2009

i stayed here because it's a convenient location to downtown sites and the hotwire rate was $65. otherwise i would never pay higher rates for this hotel. it's design is poor- why build a luxury hotel next to train tracks? my room rattled and rumbled every time a train went by. it wasn't real loud because i requested a room facing the inner lobby- but that meant there was no outside view and the room felt clausteraphobic and was dark.also, there was a strong chlorine bleach smell from the pool throughout the lobby and in my room.
tv reception was very poor with limited channels. otherwise the room was ok.
front desk was understaffed, with one person having to answer the phone, man the adjacent gift shop and check people in. so they didn't have time to be friendly or advise me how to get to get to my room. the design is poor and it's difficult to find your room.

Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Good Afternoon,
I am very sorry that we did not meet your expectations. We know we have a very unique property and we try to let our guests to be know what and who we are before their arrival, it appears that we failed you and again, I am sorry. I will share your comments with the owners and associates with the goal to do a better job in these areas.
Thank You for Your Comments and Have A Great Day
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed July 12, 2009

My husband, myself and my parents stayed at this hotel for one night before a visit to the King Tut exhibit at the Children's Museum. My husband and I booked a regular room for $119, while my parents selected a train car for $130 (these prices did not include the $25 parking fee).

My husband and I did not have a pleasant stay. To set the stage, the desk staff warn of the "active trains" that we might hear during the day and night. Then, once in our room, we were greeted with a gift from the hotel of a sleeping mask, linen spray and ear plugs. This was not a good sign.

1. The NOISE.
Our room was on the same floor of the pullman train cars - and across the way from the ice machine. In hindsight, upon seeing the ice machine, we should have requested a new room. But we were only staying for 1 night and - how bad could it be, really? It was awful. The ice machine was either being used or in a cycling phase throughout the night - and was extraordinarily loud. Additionally, the walls are paper thin. You could hear everyone coming and going, and our neighbor's television was blasting at some point in the middle of the night. Not to mention, the housekeeping staff was chatting very loudly while cleaning other rooms.
To be honest, the rumble of the trains was soothing compared to all the other noises happening around our room.

2. The ROOM: The room itself was standard. The king bed was a little hard. The TV stand was broken, but the TV itself worked just fine. The bathroom was dingy - with dirty wallpaper and the light fixture above the sink was falling down.

3. The BREAKFAST: We met my parents for breakfast at the Pullman Restaurant in the hotel. After sitting for several minutes, we had to ask for service. Then once our server arrived, we weren't sure if she would get our order correct - so we just asked for the simplest item on the menu. The food itself was OK.

4. The HOTEL STAFF: When asked how our stay was when checking out, we pointed out that it was unpleasant due to the noisy room. The man just looked at us and said "I'm sorry to hear that. Please sign your receipt".

The most unfortunate impact of our stay at the Crown Plaza was that we were exhausted at the King Tut exhibit.

If we come back to Indianapolis, we will book one of the other hotels - such as Omni or Hilton - which are also in the city center.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank 2UDFlyers
Good Morning,
I apologize for not meeting your expectations, we will take your comments to heart and do everything in our power to correct them. Please believe me our number one goal is to please our guest and I am sorry we failed you during your stay.
Thank You Again for Your Comments.
palm coast
Reviewed June 9, 2009

It was one of the best accomodations we found thru priceline. Their 'name your own'price is very hard to beat.

• Liked — The best place and the cheapest price
  • Disliked — Location is a bit complicated
  • Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
CDKKA, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, June 11, 2009
Our associate and I want to Thank You for your kind remarks and hope we can serve you again one day. Our owners had a vision to be unique and accommodating, with your comments, I believe they and we have succeeded. Thanks Again for being our guest.
Chicago
Reviewed May 28, 2009

The train car rooms were fabulous which makes for a truly memorable experience. I had my reservations at first, but this definately beat staying in a traditional hotel room. The rooms were very clean, roomy and had a charm to them. The hotel's location is great; easy to walk to any downtown Indy attraction. I would also recommend the Plaza Hotel restaurant as the food was first class. Overall, a fun experience and I would definately bring the kids back to stay in the train car hotel !!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
CDKKA, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, June 2, 2009
Hello and Thank You for being our guest,
We are very happy that you enjoyed our hotel. Our owners had a vision when developing this property, they wanted it to be different and/or unique and it sounds as if they accomplished this goal with your stay.
Thanks Again for staying with us.
Bloomington, IN
Reviewed May 10, 2009

This is a strange hotel, with one set of elevators in the middle and a long walk to rooms on either end. Most rooms do not have windows to the outside, but rather windows to the inner atrium. Those with rooms to the outside are on either end of the narrow hotel. On our end, the window overlooked the tear-down site of the Hoosier Dome, in other words a big construction/destruction site. The room was dark due to the one smallish window in the corner and lack of good indoor lighting. Not much if any art on the walls.

The long walk to our room on the 3rd floor (#368) took us past the railroad cars that are also used as hotel rooms, which was rather weird to see indoors. Also, everywhere throughout the hotel were all-white statues of railroad travelers from the old days, which looked like ghosts.

The pool was OK, but not stocked with towels first thing in the morning, and the hot tub was not comfortable due to the low bench seating. The Pullman restaurant, where we tried to get a late-night snack, had very slow service.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
CDKKA, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, May 18, 2009
Good Afternoon, I am very sorry we did not provide complete satisfaction during your stay. Please be assured that we will work on the short comings put forth in your review. Thank You for taking the time to let us know your thoughts.