Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station)
Ranked #28 of 179 Hotels in Indianapolis
Bethany, Illinois
“Never again”
Reviewed September 1, 2008

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza hotel on August 30, 2008 for one night. When I booked the room I was told the rate was $117.00. This is the government discount. When we arrived, parking was either valet for $24.00 a night or public parking down the street in a parking garage for $20.00 a night. Nothing was mentioned about the parking when I booked the room. Our room was on the first floor by a gate that went to "executive club members". DId not sleep all night due to guests going in and out of this gate. I wondered why we had a sleep CD, ear plugs, and eye mask on the bed when we entered the room. Now, I know why!!! We had been at the NHRA Drag races all day and was looking forward to a relaxing evening. Did not happen. Stay cost $155.00. Not worth it and will never stay there again. We stayed at Quality Inn the night before for $80.00 and it was a much more enjoyable experience.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
  • Korean first
Muncie
Reviewed August 26, 2008

I took my wife for an overnight stay in Indy on August 22. I booked the Crowne Plaza a couple days in advance after reading the reviews on TA. I called the hotel directly and booked a Train car (#11 P.T. Barnum) for $119 with AAA discount. I thought this was a relatively inexpensive rate for a downtown hotel.

after reading some of the reviews, I agree the area with the traincars is somewhat "Quiet and Haunted" LOL. the Ghost Statues didnt bother me except for the two nuns at the check in desk.

The room had plenty of space in it. although i dont think it could be handicap accessible, if someone wanted to stay in a train car. i slept good. didnt hear any trains at all, although i felt vibrations one time.

The pool closed at 10pm, which i thought was rather early on a friday night with a hotel this size. the staff was very courteous. the valet service was $24 which was a little much for a hotel of this class.

all in all it was a nice stay and i would definitely recommend it to everyone.

• Liked — Price, location, staff, experience of a train car
  • Disliked — Valet parking $24 for a $119 room. pool closed at 10pm
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Indianapolis, IN
Reviewed August 20, 2008

As an extra perk to the quirky convention I was attending, I decided to stay in one of the vintage train cars instead of a regular room. Although I'd heard that they were noisy and narrow, I couldn't find any fault with them at all.

The entire hotel is very pretty, exceptionally clean and actually really quiet for being housed in a train station. I can't say that I was bothered by the train noise even once. I felt the vibrations as they passed by but that was about it. Another really neat thing about the Crowne Plaza is that it's physically attached to the Historic Union Station which is absolutely beautiful and a delight to explore.

Staff at the hotel bent over backwards to make sure everything was perfect for my stay even though they were booked solid and had their hands full with accommodating thousands of Gencon attendees.

I definitely plan to return next year if not sooner.

• Liked — The train cars and location
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
Greater Cleveland
Reviewed July 29, 2008

The hotel was extremely interesting. My room was kind of fun because it was sort of a room in the middle of the lobby area. It was fun to leave my curtain open and people watch and let people look at me if they so desired. The train car area was a littel creepy and there were very few people around. It was necessary to get there to get to the workout facility, which was adequate. I liked the hotel a lot, especially with the deal on Hotwire. It was clean and nice.

Stayed May 2008
Carmel, IN
Reviewed July 25, 2008

Unlike so many downtown hotels, tremendous effort went into making the experience here very context-sensitive so that the visitor is able to get a taste of the actual place and its heritage. This is not just a cookie-cutter downtown hotel. Everything was absolutely first-class, including the room, ambience, pool, staff, valet, food, etc. The kids had a wonderful time and there was lots for them to explore. The train car room was surprisingly spacious, tastefully decorated (all cars have their own unique decor and even a name), and strategically placed skylighting made it cheery during the day. The staff went out of their way to accommodate us and offered to valet-park our bicycles, which we brought with us. The manager (Marco) and his staff were warm and gracious. This was truly a special place and an unexpected find.

• Liked — Ambience, uniqueness of train-station setting
  • Disliked — Crumbling PanAm Plaza area in front doesn't do justice to this first-class hotel
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank kev_heber
upstate New York
Reviewed July 8, 2008

I got a great deal on a room at the Crowne Plaza through Hotwire, and the location was great for me, since I was traveling to and from Indianapolis by train. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful.

I didn't know until arriving that the hotel is part of a working train station; I had thought it was a separate building right next door. They provide ear plugs, an eye mask, and a relaxation CD, but I didn't need any of those. I could feel a vibration when trains passed through, but not enough to disturb me.

My room was very nice. The linens were top of the line, the bed was comfortable, and the bathroom was spacious. The only thing I disliked was that mine was a corner room that faced the main hallway, right across from the gym, and my window looked out into the hallway rather than outside. This made the room feel a bit less private.

Overall, the hotel and its staff were great, and I'd stay here again.

• Liked — friendly staff, very comfortable room
  • Disliked — window overlooking the hallway, noise from hallway
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
Illinois
Reviewed July 8, 2008

Room was under $60 a night from Hotwire (listed as a 3.5 hotel), but be aware that parking is $25 a day. So, that boost the overall cost.
Clean room. Comfy bed. Had a window to the outside (view of parking lot). Trains come by a LOT. Kind of shook the building and squeaked on the track, but didn't really mind too much.
Pretty decent location. Walked everywhere.
All in all, for the Hotwire price, it was a good hotel for the money.

• Liked — reasonable Hotwire price
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple