Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station)
Ranked #28 of 178 Hotels in Indianapolis
Indianapolis, IN
“Very Nice”
Reviewed August 20, 2008

As an extra perk to the quirky convention I was attending, I decided to stay in one of the vintage train cars instead of a regular room. Although I'd heard that they were noisy and narrow, I couldn't find any fault with them at all.

The entire hotel is very pretty, exceptionally clean and actually really quiet for being housed in a train station. I can't say that I was bothered by the train noise even once. I felt the vibrations as they passed by but that was about it. Another really neat thing about the Crowne Plaza is that it's physically attached to the Historic Union Station which is absolutely beautiful and a delight to explore.

Staff at the hotel bent over backwards to make sure everything was perfect for my stay even though they were booked solid and had their hands full with accommodating thousands of Gencon attendees.

I definitely plan to return next year if not sooner.

• Liked — The train cars and location
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Korean first
Greater Cleveland
Reviewed July 29, 2008

The hotel was extremely interesting. My room was kind of fun because it was sort of a room in the middle of the lobby area. It was fun to leave my curtain open and people watch and let people look at me if they so desired. The train car area was a littel creepy and there were very few people around. It was necessary to get there to get to the workout facility, which was adequate. I liked the hotel a lot, especially with the deal on Hotwire. It was clean and nice.

Stayed May 2008
Carmel, IN
Reviewed July 25, 2008

Unlike so many downtown hotels, tremendous effort went into making the experience here very context-sensitive so that the visitor is able to get a taste of the actual place and its heritage. This is not just a cookie-cutter downtown hotel. Everything was absolutely first-class, including the room, ambience, pool, staff, valet, food, etc. The kids had a wonderful time and there was lots for them to explore. The train car room was surprisingly spacious, tastefully decorated (all cars have their own unique decor and even a name), and strategically placed skylighting made it cheery during the day. The staff went out of their way to accommodate us and offered to valet-park our bicycles, which we brought with us. The manager (Marco) and his staff were warm and gracious. This was truly a special place and an unexpected find.

• Liked — Ambience, uniqueness of train-station setting
  • Disliked — Crumbling PanAm Plaza area in front doesn't do justice to this first-class hotel
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank kev_heber
upstate New York
Reviewed July 8, 2008

I got a great deal on a room at the Crowne Plaza through Hotwire, and the location was great for me, since I was traveling to and from Indianapolis by train. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful.

I didn't know until arriving that the hotel is part of a working train station; I had thought it was a separate building right next door. They provide ear plugs, an eye mask, and a relaxation CD, but I didn't need any of those. I could feel a vibration when trains passed through, but not enough to disturb me.

My room was very nice. The linens were top of the line, the bed was comfortable, and the bathroom was spacious. The only thing I disliked was that mine was a corner room that faced the main hallway, right across from the gym, and my window looked out into the hallway rather than outside. This made the room feel a bit less private.

Overall, the hotel and its staff were great, and I'd stay here again.

• Liked — friendly staff, very comfortable room
  • Disliked — window overlooking the hallway, noise from hallway
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
Illinois
Reviewed July 8, 2008

Room was under $60 a night from Hotwire (listed as a 3.5 hotel), but be aware that parking is $25 a day. So, that boost the overall cost.
Clean room. Comfy bed. Had a window to the outside (view of parking lot). Trains come by a LOT. Kind of shook the building and squeaked on the track, but didn't really mind too much.
Pretty decent location. Walked everywhere.
All in all, for the Hotwire price, it was a good hotel for the money.

• Liked — reasonable Hotwire price
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed July 8, 2008

I like the Crowne Plaza chain overall but the last two I have stayed in are really showing their age.

We stayed here for a night away for our anniversary. I asked the front desk clerk on arrival for a quiet room. She stuck us right next to the railroad. Every time a train went by (which was at least one every hour) our room shook and the noise was ridiculous. The manager gave us 2000 priority points the next morning but in my opinion we should have received the stay free as I am still trying to catch up on the sleep missed that night.

The rooms need to be updated. This motel is something from the early 90's and desperately lacks amenities. We waited 20 minutes for help with our bags on check out despite the fact that there was no one else needing help at the time. I had to call the bell desk twice. Their service has definitely gone downhill over the last few months. I will avoid it in the future.

• Liked — Location.
  • Disliked — Customer service and NOISE!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Toronto
Reviewed June 25, 2008

Cool concept but a bit run down. Staff are very friendly. There are no outside windows in any rooms (all face the interior of the old train station)so you may feel like you are doing a four day bit in solitary, as we did. The rooms by the pool ( we moved) are a nightmare.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — No windows
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business