“Big ten championship weekend”

Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station)
Ranked #26 of 180 Hotels in Indianapolis
Pickerington, Ohio
“Big ten championship weekend”
Reviewed December 28, 2013

This hotel was exactly what I thought it would be. The location was everything,due to the football game weekend. Everything within walking distance, even by indoor skywalk. We stayed in one of the train car rooms, which are well appointed and comfortable, even quiet unless a real train is passing through, but I found that to be kind of neat.The hotel was undergoing some renovation, but you barely knew it. Dinner and drinks at the hotel bar, Pullman's, was convenient and pretty decent. The staff we encountered were mostly friendly and helpful.I do think the property is a bit pricey, but I kind of expected and planned for that.( I made reservations in January for a December weekend) I'm sure the weekend's activities created quite a demand, hence, a little price gouging is probably expected. Overall, a nice stay.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Trina W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Thank you for the awesome review! Trina W. General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
  • Korean first
Cincinnati
Reviewed November 18, 2013

The location of this hotel is really top notch. It's right next to or a very short walk from anywhere you might want to go - restaurants, businesses, nightlife - it's all right here. There's even a skywalk to get you to Lucas Oil Stadium which is literally just right across the street. So it is very conveniently located. Indy is a cool city with lots to do. This convenience factor is reflected in the cost of the rooms and you will pay dearly for it. In fact, it may be the only thing here worth paying for. My room, with tax, came to about $200/night. That does not include the ridiculous valet fee.

The cost to park your vehicle at the hotel is $22/day (say you're there for a conference or something and will only be there a few hours). Valet parking is $30/day. I needed to leave the hotel a few times and each time I had to tip the valet. If you can find somewhere else to park, do that. It will be cheaper and more convenient no matter how you slice it.

Every time I walked up to the front desk in the lobby, the young workers there were standing around, giggling and gossiping. I was just trying to break a $20 so I could tip their mandatory valets. So-so customer service. As a member of the IHG Rewards Club, I honestly expected better.

The hotel is undergoing a renovation. I never actually saw or heard anyone doing construction, but parts of the hotel are roped off or unusable. This didn't bother me. Just make sure that something you want or need (gym, pool, etc.) isn't off-limits before booking.

The room was very clean and seemed to have been recently updated, for the most part. The outlets in the bathroom were outdated but I did not use them. The reading light attached to the bed's headboard was burned out. It's a nice detail, a reading light, but it does me no good if it's broken. Additionally, the room smelled like old lady perfume. You know the kind I'm talking about. The too-strong scent of gardenias and other pungent florals. I thought I might get used to it after an hour or so, but it just gave me a headache and an incentive to go to bed early. I should have asked for a new room instead. I woke up choking and unable to breathe in the middle of the night. I don't have allergies or asthma so that was a VERY scary experience. It has never happened before and hasn't happened since. I believe it was a reaction to the overpowering scent that had been sprayed all around my room. I wonder what terrible smell they were trying to cover up?

When I checked into the room, I was informed that the hotel was right next to a train station (that is part of the charm, you see - there are real sleeper trains inside of this hotel that have been renovated to be small, cramped hotel rooms) so if I heard a rumbling sound, don't be alarmed, it's just a train, not an earthquake. The fact that this warning was issued to every guest upon check-in worried me. I knew it must be a sign that I was not about to get any sleep, and I was right. Not only could I hear the trains, I could FEEL them. They woke me up frequently. I looked out my window in the middle of the night to see how far away they were and was startled to find one right outside of my bedroom window. I have attached the photo I took with my phone to this review. It was SO CLOSE. Had I known how close these trains were going to be I never would have stayed here. They were also very loud and caused a lot of rumbling and shaky chandeliers in the conference rooms, but were not a huge disturbance there.

In summary: great location, terrible quality of sleep, more money than it's worth. The next time I am in Indy I will find somewhere else to stay, even if the conference is being held at this same hotel.

3 Thank CincyChic F
JJ D, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Thank you so much for the feedback on your stay with us. I am sorry that in this instance we came up short of expectations. I have talked with our head of housekeeping about the scented spray we use for rooms and typically it is not that strong. I apologize that unfortunately in this case it was. As for the train noise, it is unavoidable being an active train station. Where as many of our guests enjoy this experience, as it adds to the character and ambiance of the hotel, I am sorry that this was not the case in your stay with us. Again, thank you for your feedback.

JJ DeBrosse
Sales and Marketing Manager
Evanston, Illinois
Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

I just recently stayed here with my weft and kids. We've stated in downtown Indy several times at other hotels and we won't be returning to the Crowne Plaza. The two stars are given mainly because the room was spacious. Keep in mind that none of the rooms face the outside and they have windows facing the interior. There were several problems, including:
1. Food at the restaurant is terrible. We had free coupons for the buffet but still ate elsewhere it looked so bad. We are not picky and would have much preferred to eat at the hotel but couldn't bring ourselves go do it. We ate dinner there one night and it took an hour to get our food.
2. It is connected to the skywalk via the convention center but is further than many other hotels.
3. Our first room had a terrible smell of bleach and we had to switch.
4. No advance notice that the pool would be closed during our visit.
5. Very long wait for the valet .
6. It's the little things - broken coffee maker in the room, broken video check-out - all add up to a mediocre experience at best. Also, drunk people screaming in the atrium from 3-5 a.m. and it seems the hotel could care less.

We love Indy and will be returning but certainly to another hotel - we've stayed at the Embassy Suites, Omni and Westin, similar price ranges and we'd pick any of them again.

Stayed November 2013
3 Thank uwdsr1
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your recent stay. I am sorry that the stay was not up to your expectations. The renovation process is difficult to do, while still maintaining the high expectations that we set for ourselves as a hotel. I am sorry that we came up short during your stay. Let me also apologies for your experience in our restaurant. This is usually a strength for us. I would love to hear more about your experience so that we can learn from it and better our selves in the future. Please feel free to e-mail me at jdebrosse@genhotels.com. Thank you.

JJ DeBrosse
Sales and Marketing Manager
Olympia, Washington
Reviewed November 13, 2013

This hotel is a rehabilitation of an old train station. The concept is excellent and its a very different feel than a regular hotel. There are actual train cars to stay in. The biggest downfall is that actual trains roar by the hotel in the middle of the night. It sounds like they are right next to your room. They also need to upgrade their exercise facility. It is small room at the end of the hotel on the way to the convention center. The restaurant is just awful. However, the location is great. It is not far from the museums and cultural trail. There are numerous excellent bars and restaurants close by. A decent hotel with an interesting theme in a great location..if you can sleep through the trains going by.

Room Tip: Ask to be on the quiet side of the hotel!
4 Thank allyson360
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I apologize for your dissatisfaction with our restaurant. The exercise room will be relocated to the front of the hotel in the coming months as our renovation gets to the end. Our hotel is housed within a Historic Landmark that does have a functioning train station on the back side of our building.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed October 29, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

We took a quick trip with our kids to spend a couple of days in Indy. We stayed in one of the train car rooms at the hotel and our kids loved it! The room was comfortable and the staff was great! We highly recommend this hotel!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Jason R
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Thank you for the great review. I am happy that you enjoyed the newly renovated train car guest rooms. Thank you for the great recommendation.

Carbon, Indiana
Reviewed October 28, 2013

My wife and I decided to spend a night in Indianapolis for our anniversary, so pricelined a 3 1/2 star hotel for $60.00 and ended up with the Crowne Plaza. I had been here before for some business meeting but never stayed. The rooms are nice and appear to have been recently upgraded. The location is great down the street from Circle Center mall and one of our favorite restaurants in Indianapolis "Harry & Izzy's". The biggest issue that we had was the walls seem pretty thin between the rooms, our neighbor received a phone call at 6:30 am and we could clearly hear the marimba ringer going off almost like it was in our room. We also noticed earlier in the day when we were both watching TV we could clearly hear their TV. The train noise can be a problem but we really didn't notice it too much until Sunday morning when the window started to shake a little.

Room Tip: Stay as far away from the train tracks as possible unless you like train noise.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RonaldK1
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I apologize that you were able to hear noise from the guest room next to you. If you are willing, I would love to get the specific room number so that I can investigate this issue. Pleaae feel free to respond directly to indycrowne@genhotels.com with that information.

Rooms Divsion Manager
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I stayed here because of the convenient location next to the convention center while attending a trade show for 5 nights. I would recommend requesting a top floor as the first room I was in was on the floor below and it was very loud from the rude people above me. I moved to the top floor the next day and no more problems.
The room was very nice. Evidently recently remodeled. The hotel lobby is also under construction. It was not a hindrance in any way. There are plenty of restaurants and bars within walking distance.
The staff was friendly and attentive for the most part and the food was unusually good for a hotel. The breakfast buffet was excellent and offered many choices. Room service was top notch and sandwiches in the bar were very good as well.
The internet was slow and somewhat frustrating. I find this to be true of most IHG properties I have stayed in.
All in all, I was pleased with the hotel, the food and a very convenient location.

2 Thank jfdatl
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience. I am happy to hear that you had a great experience. I am sorry that the internet speed was not up to par. Your feedback on the internet speed helps us address an issue that impacts our guests like you.