“Train Boxcar Birthday!”

Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station)
Ranked #27 of 182 Hotels in Indianapolis
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
“Train Boxcar Birthday!”
Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

Had a GREAT time! We stayed in Boxcar # 2 and it truly was fantastic! The guest services staff ( Precious and Robert ) were Wonderful! They made my Birthday an experience both special and memorable! There was a bit of construction going on but even they were friendly and respectful! Can't wait to go again!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Daniel T L
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Thank you for your positive comments and recognizing two outstanding employees that made your birthday special. I am happy to hear that the ongoing renovation did not take away from your experience.

Rooms Division Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Korean first
Shelbyville
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Unique historic property in the very center of town! Easy access but expensive valet parking $30. Very clean throughout, currently under well managed renovation. One of the best indoor pools we have seen in years. Art statues throughout first floor. The 13 renovated Pullman sleeping cars are impressive sitting on the second floor opposite regular rooms, great atmosphere.

Rooms have been renovated nicely, the beds are comfortable but bedding stiff and awkward. Forget the rollaway! Ancient with springs coming through, unstable and cost extra $20 plus rollaway tax! Interior windows can be noisy. Expect real train noises at night, freight trains pass through the hotel!

The really unique setting provides an opportunity to overlook shortcomings See separate dining review,.

Room Tip: The blue pullman cars on second floor are next to the active train line, Interiors of the pullman...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your experience. I am happy to hear that you had an overall great experience. I want to apologize for the discomfort of the rollaway bed. I appreciate you commenting on the rollaway as we are looking at all of our rollaway beds to check the wear and comfort level. It is feedback like this that helps us make improvements where neccessary.

Columbus, OH
Reviewed October 19, 2013

I had booked three nights to attend a conference across the street at the convention center but had to check out after just one night. The dust and fumes from the renovation going on triggered a reaction that made for a headache and runny nose that wouldn't stop. If you are sensitive to dust and paint fumes, I would not stay here.

On of my colleagues, who wasn't affected as much, complained to the manager and received several coupons for free drinks in the hotel bar.

On the positive side of things, the front desk, restaurant employees, and valet outside were all professional, courteous, and Midwestern friendly.

A quirky thing about the hotel, the rooms have no outside light (or view) coming in, only from the atrium so you can't tell if the sun is up or what the weather is like from your room.

I may give this place another chance after the renovations are done based on the location and friendly staff but there are many other choices in downtown Indianapolis that I would likely try first.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your feedback. I want to apologize that our ongoing renovation created an unpleasant experience resulting in your early departure. We do hope that we have the opportunity to serve you again in the future once the renovation is complete.

Bloomington, Indiana
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We stayed at this hotel as part of my girlfriend's birthday present as she has always wanted to stay here. We chose this hotel for the novelty of getting to stay in an old train car converted to a hotel room and we were not disappointed. The room was newly refurbished and was very clean and modern. We had seen some photos on-line that seemed to indicate the rooms were going to be outdated so we were pleasantly surprised by our room. The hotel was very quiet and the staff was super friendly. We could feel some vibrations when trains passed through nearby but I think that was just part of the atmosphere and was not enough to wake us up/keep us awake. The hotel was also very conveniently located to bars and restaurants downtown and we were able to walk everywhere we wanted to go. We will definitely stay here again in the future.

Room Tip: Choose a train car room if possible.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jen C
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are happy that you choose our hotel to celebrate your girlfriends birthday and experience one of our newly renovated pullman traincars. We are in the process of updating all of our online photos as we have just completed the guest room portion of the renovation. I am glad that you had an overall great experience and look forward to hosting you as a guest again in the future.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Overall, I was pleased with my stay here. My room was very comfortable. The service I received throughout was top tier.

I was able to check in early, and was cautioned that I would receive a room near the active train tracks so I may hear and feel the rumble of a passing train on occasion. They told me that if I wasn't happy, they would make it better. I accepted the room. I did notice a few trains during the night, but frankly didn't find them all that disruptive, and in at least one instance, I found the train noise and rumbling comforting.

There was construction going on so there was workers and related activities going on but I didn't find the at all disruptive. I was disappointed that the jacuzzi was closed (as in "filled with concrete"), as I was looking forward to a good soaking to sooth some sore muscles.

The location was great, and if you are attending an event at the convention center you can walk to the hall without going outside (handy for the rainy day during my stay).

Room Tip: If you a very light sleeper and can't handle any noise, ask to be located as far from the train...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank SGillinois
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am happy to hear the service that your received enhanced your experience at our hotel. I do apologize that our hotel no longer has a whirlpool. It was removed as it could not meet new ADA standards. I am also glad to hear that the train activity and renovation work did not deter from your experience.

Palos Heights, Illinois
Reviewed October 1, 2013

My husband and stayed in a train car in this hotel for our 15th wedding anniversary. We absolutely loved it. The train car was just remodeled. The bed was so comfortable and the air conditioning was great!! You have to be okay with train noise. We knew this up front. We loved the vibration of the trains going by. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The location is great. Very close to downtown and the convention center.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Leann C
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Thank you for your positive comments. I am happy that our staff made your experience for your 15th anniversary a special occassion. I am happy that you are satisfied with the remodeled traincars and the service that you received from our staff.

Waterdown, Canada
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Due to ongoing construction the Pullman car we had booked 3 months in advance was not available however Mike Clark (rooms division mgr.) went our of his way and provided us with an upgraded room. Price was adjusted accordingly to compensate for the late notice of the change and Mike was extremely professional in his efforts to satisfy our needs.

Accommodations, staff and overall premises were very good. Check in - out was very efficient along with the valet service. Location was perfect for touring the city, dining and frequenting the local pubs etc..... Once construction is complete, we will definitely consider a return booking for one of the Pullman Cars.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback. It was my pleasure to work with you to ensure that you had a great experience at our hotel. It was also great to have the opportunity to meet you in person and make your anniversary at our hotel special.