Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station)
Ranked #25 of 186 Hotels in Indianapolis
Reviewed October 1, 2013

My husband and stayed in a train car in this hotel for our 15th wedding anniversary. We absolutely loved it. The train car was just remodeled. The bed was so comfortable and the air conditioning was great!! You have to be okay with train noise. We knew this up front. We loved the vibration of the trains going by. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The location is great. Very close to downtown and the convention center.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Leann C
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

Thank you for your positive comments. I am happy that our staff made your experience for your 15th anniversary a special occassion. I am happy that you are satisfied with the remodeled traincars and the service that you received from our staff.

Reviewed September 26, 2013

Due to ongoing construction the Pullman car we had booked 3 months in advance was not available however Mike Clark (rooms division mgr.) went our of his way and provided us with an upgraded room. Price was adjusted accordingly to compensate for the late notice of the change and Mike was extremely professional in his efforts to satisfy our needs.

Accommodations, staff and overall premises were very good. Check in - out was very efficient along with the valet service. Location was perfect for touring the city, dining and frequenting the local pubs etc..... Once construction is complete, we will definitely consider a return booking for one of the Pullman Cars.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback. It was my pleasure to work with you to ensure that you had a great experience at our hotel. It was also great to have the opportunity to meet you in person and make your anniversary at our hotel special.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

I just got back from staying at the Crowne Plaza Indianapolis for a meeting. My room was okay but noisy. All the common areas were in bad shape. Construction everywhere. Temporary carpet on floors which was easy to trip on. Smelled of paint and dry wall, dust from construction. Air conditioning not fully functional in common areas. Always noisy. Pool not available. Hotel's response to guests is just to post "apology" notices around the hotel. Room rates not discounted nor any special coupons given to guests to make up for inconveniences. Instead, when I checked-in I was just told a list of things to expect such as train noise, construction noise, etc. Basically, hotel expects guests to pay full price and then just be good sports about all of the construction.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Tammara E
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I am very sorry that you had such a poor experience due to the renovation. It is not an easy process renovating a hotel while still in operation. We are addressing all issues, such as carpeting, air conditioning, etc, that you referred to during the renovation. It is not our goal to have our guests just endure the renovation. It is our goal to cause the least inconveinence possible during the renovation and accomodate our guests needs. I would like an opportunity to discuss further if you would be willing. Please send an email to indycrowne@genhotels.com to my attention. I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

Crowne Plaza Hotel - 123 W. Louisiana Street -Indianapolis, Indiana August 31- September 2, 2013
I just had my worst hotel experience ever and I have been renting hotel rooms for 40 years including many in third world countries so, that is a very hard to achieve rating a WORST EVER rating. 1) no air conditioning in hotel room for both nights just for starters 2) untrained staff trying to make a bad situation better actually, made it worse 3) loud construction beginning at 8:00 am Sunday morning. 4) direction to rooms mismarked
I could go on and on and on but I think you get the point and I would rather sleep in my car (would of at least been able to get some sleep) than to ever stay in a Crowne Plaza Hotel again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Randy M
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am extremly sorry that you had such a poor experience at our hotel. The comments that you have made are critical issues that I would like to have to opportunity to investigate further if you are willing. Please send any additional feedback to indycrowne@genhotels.com.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

First thing they tell you when you check in: the hotel is under construction, plus its next to an active railroad, so it will be noisy. *sigh* "When do the trains come through?" I asked. They are freight trains so not on any particular schedule. *sigh*

I stayed here 4 nights for a recent business trip. The arrangements were made through corporate travel, so I had no idea about the construction or the trains.

On the plus side, the staff was so so helpful, and they did a good job keeping the place clean during construction. You'd never know there was anything going on until you went further into the hotel. The rooms are clean and reasonably spacious. I was not really inconvenienced by the construction, as it was done during the day while I was working. Note that the pool is currently closed though. The place is cute, with old Pullman train cars, evidently available as rooms.

On the negative side: noise and vibration from the railroad. When I first checked in, I was given a room on the backside of the hotel, close to the tracks. I stepped into my room just as the train was passing, it was incredibly noisy and the room was shaking. I went back to the desk and asked for a room at the front of the hotel, they switched me and it was much quieter (although I still had to push a chair against the window to stop it from vibrating when the train went by). If there had not been another room available I would have changed hotels.

So really just be forewarned, if you are a light sleeper, this place may not be for you.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am happy to hear the positive comments in regards to our staff. I am sorry that the active train station impacted your stay in a negative way. We are a historic building and our staff make an effort to make sure all of our guests are aware upon arrival to this fact.

Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

My niece and I stayed at Crowne Plaza Union Station for one night and had a great time. Unfortunately this hotel was in the middle of a huge renovation and was quite dusty and noisy during our stay. Just the lobby area. Our room was perfectly clean and newly renovated and overlooked the pool. Fortunately, we got an awesome Hotwire deal, so the inconvenience of the torn apart lobby was of little concern to us.
The hotel is huge- so big it can get eerie at night, especially if your room is a distance from the central elevator area. Or if your niece decides she wants a self tour of the grand ballroom at 1 a.m!
Train enthusiasts would love this hotel as there are 2 full size trains on either side of of the hotel- INSIDE - and several of these cars are remodeled into actual hotel rooms. Families and groups would also love this hotel.The pool was awesome and nicely heated. It's walking distance to everything downtown and in a very safe nice area- right across from Lucas Oil stadium.
The staff are really what makes this such an enjoyable place to stay. Everyone we encountered went out of their way to be friendly and helpful! Especially one if the guest service reps( maybe Peter?) He went out of his way to locate an IPhone charger for me to use, so I wouldn't have to walk way out to my car to retrieve mine! Above and beyond!!
Since the hotel is being remodeled anyway, I would recommend removing most of the white statues representing the Union Station of days gone by... A few in the lobby would be fine, but suspended from beams, and some strangely perched on top of the train cars- that was creepy.
I would recommend this hotel and will stay there again, just may wait until the remodel is done!

• Stayed: August 2013

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad that you had a positive experience. We will be excited once the renovation is concluded and our new product will be enjoyed by all of our guests. In regards to the ghost statues, we have repaired several that have been damaged over the years and will be putting them throughout our hotel once the renovation is complete. The statue on top of the traincar goes with another statue that has recently been repaired. Once in place it will make more sense what is actually occurring. The history of this hotel is unique and very important to the staff of the hotel and the city of Indianapolis.

Rooms Division Manager.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

This Hotel while somewhat normal has special railroad pullman cars set up as bedrooms with heavy reference to various celebrities. the hotel also have white statues of people of a bygone era doing different things and striking unusual poses.

Room Tip: Check the hotels notes to choose the right for you pullman car