“Train Station or Hotel”

Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station)
Ranked #28 of 178 Hotels in Indianapolis
New Britain, Connecticut
“Train Station or Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

What a cool place to stay. This is a refurbished train station and is done in a masterful way. They actually have 8 full length train cars with two rooms per train car. The hotel was nice enough to give me key and allowed me on my own to check out a "train" room. They are very cool and unlike anything I have ever seen before. I did not have one of these rooms, rather I had a standard hotel room which was quite average. My biggest complaint with my room is that there was no safe in the room. Other than that it was fine. The hotel is the absolute best possible place you could stay if you're attending a sporting event at the Lucas Oil Center. They have a connecting walkway which drops you right at the foot of the stadium. I was there to see the NCAA bball tourney and it was a fabulous location. I recommend this hotel because of its proximity to the stadium and because of the novel design and use of real train cars - it is very cool. I also had room service two nights and a Sunday Easter buffet - all of which was excellent.

Room Tip: Have fun and pay a few extra bucks to sleep on a train.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Indianapolis hosts many sporting events every year and we are happy to be in such close proximity of Lucas Oil Stadium. As you stated, we don't have in room safes, however, we do have lock boxes available at the front desk for guests that are interested in securing their valuables while they are enjoying our city.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Korean first
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

I love this hotel. This was the second time I have stayed there and this time was for a conference. They are right in the middle of a renovation which is good because it is a little bit worn. But still a great place to stay in Downtown Indianapolis - close to everything fun to do. It is a very good place for a conference as it has a huge area of rooms and all right off the lobby. Everyone there from the valet to the restaurant to the front desk and housekeeping as well were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your positive comments. We are very excited about the renovation that is in progress to bring the condition of the hotel where it should be. Our guests will love our unique hotel when this process is complete. Thank you for your loyalty.
Eldon, Missouri, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

My national convention was held here in early April. There is construction going on throughout the hotel inside and out. When we arrived our rooms weren't ready -so we went to eat a late lunch (which was fine). When we returned they said they were ready and when we went to out room there was a pile of trash and laundry outside our door! There service at the onsite restaurant was terrible! I woke up with a horrible pain in my back and thought I would skip the opening at my conference to try to get some sleep -3 different hammers were hammering for hours!!!!! So no extra sleep for me. The furniture was run down and dirty and our bathroom floor was filthy. On the plus side you can walk to the downtown area and see the beautiful downtown area. I would not stay here again!

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I apologize for the cleanliness of your guest room. As you stated, our hotel is currently under renovation and addressing the issues in regards to the rundown furniture and fixtures in our guest rooms. I am also sorry to hear that the service that you received in the restaurant fell below expectations. Your feedback is vital for our staff to improve in the areas that you mentioned.
Chicago
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

we booked this property as the last night of a special vacation so we' d have a treat on the last night of our trip. we booked an old pullman train car that was fairly expensive. the train car itself was a bit musty but fine. we were disappointed to open our train car blinds and find a pile of trash immediately under our windows. It as piles of old discarded phones, trash cans, ice buckets. really disappointing. Yuck

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank sharonsfc
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I apologize for the view outside your guest room. Our hotel is currently under renovation. The area you mentioned is being utilzed as an overflow storage area for many of the guest room furnishings. It is our goal to keep the renovation as low an impact to our guest experience as possible. Unfortunately, we are unable to hide all parts of the renovation as it is progressing. Your feedback has helped us take another look at that specific area of the hotel to see if there is anything more that we can do.
Saline, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

The hotel is within walking distance of everything downtown. The rooms are average, the staff is very courteous and helpful, the public areas are well maintained. There are two trains that run the lenth of the hotel, and the trains contain hotel rooms. I didn't stay in one of these, but it is a cool idea. Parking is expensive, but I suppose this is the norm for a downtown hotel in a big city.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience. Our hotel is currently being renovated to bring our product up to the new standards for Crowne Plaza Hotels. I am happy that our staff was helpful and courteous to you during your stay. We understand that service is just as important as the product that we offer. Soon both will be elevated to exceed our guests expectations.
Santa Barbara, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

I've stayed here in the past, but I think I should have stopped at one time.
PROS - Friendly staff, comfortable beds, quiet (but see below), convenient enclosed sky-bridge to the convention center, and the cool factor is it's inside a train station.
CONS - Rooms, fixtures, bathrooms are showing their age. Because the hotel is built inside the train station I've never had a room with a window that looks outside the building (which is a strange thing - I like to look out and see the weather). The place can be very LOUD when weddings get out of hand, events at the football stadium or other rowdy crowds get going.

This stay my stars weren't aligned and I got a horrible room with my "outside" window looking at a sitting area (couch, chairs, etc.) and then on the last nights there were two weddings, a moto-cross event and the start of St Patrick's Day weekend - people were yelling, singing and running around all night long. Every noise inside the train station seems amplified. I'm not going back to this hotel again.

Room Tip: As noted this is inside a train station and they have several old pullman cars that have been conver...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback. I apologize that your experience did not meet your expectations. Our hotel is currently being renovated and will address the worn and old conditions that you experienced. Our propery is unique in a way that the majority of our guest rooms face the inside atrium of the hotel with no outside facing windows. It is unfortunate, due to a variety events occurring during your stay, we had guests that did not care to respect the expectations of other guests that looked forward to a good nights sleep.
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

The atmosphere and historic surroundings make this interesting and different than most hotel stays. Yes, the rooms could use a facelift but my experience is not nearly as bad as the reviews might have indicated. I do believe my kids would enjoy this AND it's very centrally located downtown.

Here's detailed insight so you know if you can handle it before the renovations come: Note: Room 210

Pros: They'll shuttle you anywhere you want downtown. Parking was pricey, but easy in and out. The general look and feel of the place is fun and different. The decor is lived in/older but is good quality. Good tv. I find this a much better choice than most 2 or 3 star hotels. There is no sag in my mattress. The staff have been very friendly and helpful.

Cons: You can tell the place needs an update. The bathroom faucets are older, the tub isn't shiny and new. The bed skirt had a stain (not terrible but there is one). The bedding is definitely worn - wrinkled but soft, not uncomfortable. Yes, smaller but soft pillows. Internet works great. Good sized room. The worn items like my desk initially appeared to need wiped off/cleaning, but I later realized it was simply worn.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room and they'll do what they can.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your detailed experience at our hotel. The information you have noted on your specific guest room will be addressed. I am happy to here that you enjoyed the unique experience that our hotel has to offer. A complete hotel renovation is underway to address the conditional issues that were noted.