“Noisy, and not so good for business travelers. Outdated, conveniently located with no sound isolation and horribly slow internet”

Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station)
Ranked #27 of 182 Hotels in Indianapolis
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

If you in town for business and or need some quiet time this is not it.

1. Location is one, but maybe the only big plus for this hotel. Since it has a sky walk to convention center during winter it's s convenient.
2. Noise proofing is close to ZERO. On one side you have trains running all night, with shakes equal to small earth quake, and in the hall ways kids, if there is some sport event in town at the convention center.
3. If you do not have way of using your own Hot Spot device, forget about internet. Or... press the button and go to take a shower, then press another and make yourself some coffee. It's slower than dial up.
4. If you get a room on the upper floor, the elevator is the only way to and out, and those elevators running non-stop when hotel is packed, so there is a wait.

5. Worn out looking.
6. Pillows are so small... Probably for people with really small heads or kids. Ha, ha.
7. Service staff all were awesome.

If you will get one of the train cart rooms, be prepared kids and even adults will be trying to open door to look inside as all will be thinking it's an exhibit and not a hotel room.

According to my experience it will not be a hotel of my choice again. I would not recommend it to people I know.

• Stayed January 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear RT4,

Thank you for leaving a comprehensive review, highlighting not only the bad but also the good. I appreciate that you found all our staff to be awesome. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations specially on the points you have mentioned. Rest assured that all your comments will be looked into and actions will be taken accordingly. I assure you that every comment, no matter how small, is taken very seriously. We hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
  • Korean first
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed January 31, 2013

And it was good, but sometimes (at night) a bit noisy because of freight trains passing nearby but I always take my earplugs with me! If you book a room, ask for a room near the street side (less noise). Breakfast is typical American style and after a few days it becomes boring because it's always the same...

Room Tip: Get a room at the front side (street) of the building
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We do have an active train station adjacent to our hotel. Earplugs are available at front desk, which many guests have found helpful to muffle the sound of the active trains. The North side of the hotel is farthest from the active trains. If you are a sensitive sleeper, request a room on the North side. If there is a room availabe in that area, our staff is more than happy to accomodate your request.
Decatur, Illinois
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Stayed in a VIP Club room which was to include a small continental breakfast in the Club lounge. When we were ready to eat, there were no spoons, coffee was gone and hot items, which were in warmers were rock hard. On our second night we decided to order room service for breakfast the following morning and our tag was still hanging on the door when we woke up. I had to take the tag to the front desk myself in order to get our breakfast before we were to depart. The location was great for walking to other attractions and restaurants and the valet parking was nice too. We were also disappointed to discover that the hot tub, which was still listed on the website, had been filled in with concrete, so no longer available. The room itself was clean, but the bathroom and bathtub/shower was in need of being remodeled. I actually found someone else's towel hanging on the back of the bathroom door when we arrived, so housekeeping missed it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay. I want to apologize for the issues you experienced with our food and beverage during your stay. Unfortunately, the hot tub was removed from our property due to its age and not being able to bring it up to current safety standards and government requirements. Lastly, I am sorry housekeeping missed the towel in the bathroom. The hotel will be undergoing a complete renovation beginning in March which will address the condition of our bathrooms.
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I am currently staying in this hotel for one night on business. I got a great deal on the room and the location is pretty good. There's not really a bad location in downtown Indy. This one certainly isn't the best. After waiting in a slow-moving check-in line I was pleased with the service I received at the front desk. It wasn't until I had already paid and been given my keys that the person mumbled something about this being a working train station so there "might be occasional slight noise and rumble". This was a pretty drastic understatement. I didn't mind it while I was relaxing in my room this evening but falling asleep proved difficult. On top of this, every little noise from neighbors and the old building seems amplified.

The room itself seems clean enough. Nothing fancy but even with the deal I got, not worth the price, especially factoring in the deteriorating bathroom.

Overall, the experience has been a let down. As a former resident of Indianapolis I admire the city and it is sad to see a building with such potential be so poorly maintained. This hotel is well past it's prime.

2 Thank Coltsfan12
Thank you for your honest feedback. I am sorry that your experience fell below your expectations. While the active train station behind our faciltiy adds to the ambiance of the facility, we could do a better job communicating this to our guests upon arrival. We do advertise the hotel on our website as an active train station, but we tend to struggle with 3rd party websites communicating the same information since we don't have total control of the content of those websites. It is a good idea to go to the brand website and look at the specifics of the property prior to booking in case you have any questions about the property.
Gatlinburg, Tennessee
Reviewed January 16, 2013

First time staying at a Crown Plaza and it didnt dissapoint. Firstly its close to downtown and everything. Just a few blocks from Lucas oil and all the resturants and bars. The pool and sauna were awesome and very relaxing. The architecture itself in the hotel is beautiful. The rooms were very clean. We went through expedia.com and was extremely suprised to find such a good deal. The front desk agent was very professional and curteous to us. I plan a trip to Indianapolis every year and from now on ill be staying at the Crown Plaza.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience. Feedback like this lets us know when we are doing a good job in taking care of our guests and their needs.
Georgetown, Indiana
Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

I was in town for my daughters dance competition at the Convention Center. The location of the hotel was great, and it is connected to the convention center by a covered skywalk.
I got to the hotel and was allowed to check-in at 1030 as a priority club gold member. I was also given a free drink coupon for the bar.
All the staff was great, and we stayed in a train car. The bed was not as comfortable as I hoped, but it did the job.
I would suggest this hotel, especially if you are attending an event at the convention center.

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience. You mentioned the mattress in your guest room was not very comfortable. I apologize for the discomfort, this is one of the items that will be addressed during our hotel renovation beginning in March.
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed January 13, 2013

This hotel is in the old Union Railway Station. Some of the rooms are in old Pullman sleeper carriages. The current railway runs close to the back of the hotel. There's a major shopping mall with movie theaters close by. This is an convenient, interesting and comfortable place to stay. Good value for money if you get winter rates. Can't comment on the summer ones.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for sharing your experience. We are proud of the uniqueness of our facility. Rates due vary based on time of year, local events, and demand.