“Very unhappy - I want to go home”

Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station)
Ranked #25 of 185 Hotels in Indianapolis
Reviewed December 7, 2012

I am writing this review from my iphone in the bathroom of this hotel at nearly 4am. Why, you ask, would I do this? Because this hotel is so loud that is literally impossible to sleep at all. The walls and doors are paper thin. We can hear every word being spoken in nearby rooms. I have a sick little one and we need quiet and rest. Clearly this not the place. And have I mentioned the trains? They are literally across from our doorway - even though I requested a quiet room. The trains have gone by frequently - and it feels and sounds as if they are going to drive straight into your room. I'm very unhappy - and as I sit here I am trying to book us somewhere else for tomorrow night. There is no way I can take another night here.

• Stayed: December 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2012

Dear mygirlkristi,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to write a review of our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us and apologize for the noise challenges you experienced during your stay. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to continually monitor and improve the quality and services we offer for to our guests.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and I hope that you will consider us again on your next travel.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed December 7, 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel. The room was clean and modern. The staff was very nice and helpful. The valet parking was steep ($30) for the night and $18 for short-term. However, I think that is the going rate for downtown Indy. The hotel is attached to the Indianapolis Convention Center and that was a great perk.

Room Tip: I used Priceline to get a good rate. This is a former train station and you can here the active tr...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank pollymor
Reviewed November 27, 2012

First of all, Mike the second shift manager was one of the best and his co-worker at the front desk on second shift was okay. Now, the rest of the staff was unfriendly and rude. There are a few good hotels in Indianapolis and this one is not one of them. The price is too high, rude service from the staff, and just a unpleast experience. We actually left earlier than we due to the train waking us up. Security treated us as if we were not welcome and just an overall bad experience. We are happy that our business will not have to take us back to Indianapolis but one more time in the next three years and when we do this hotel will not be it. Third shift was just as bad as first shift. Just a overall bad customer service experience and will not be back under no conditions to this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 25, 2012

I travel a lot so here is an unbiased review:
We went to Indy for a night with our 3 year old, Saturday the 24th visiting the childrens museum, Colts game on Sunday the 25th of November.
We arrived and were greeted by very friendly valet, check in was smooth, $30 to valet is a bit much. The hotel is in a bit of a war zone it seems, a lot of construction, chain linked fenced area across the street but a hop, skip and a jump from Lucas oil stadium.
We stayed in the Louis Armstrong train car #004, the rooms are small, very narrow and long but we expected that. After the museum we went back to the room, went out for dinner and came back to swim.
- The pool is freezing, not so much the water which I would say was around 78 degrees, but the pool itself is about 200 - 250 feet from the entrance and right in the middle of the first floor. So the air was cold, there is no separate room for the pool, the air is freezing but my son was excited to swim.
- The rim of the pool is filthy, people were writing their names in the black oil on the tiles.
- The pool towels were the size of a washcloth. COME ON GUYS, SPEND SOME MONEY ON REAL POOL TOWELS!!!
On to the room itself
- The room itself was a cool idea but it is old
- The chairs had arms that were falling off and were old and dirty.
- The bathroom was small, also, the fan did not work. If you are going to have a small bathroom, at least make sure there is a working exhaust fan
- The linens were terrible quality, the towels were scratchy and India made garbage
- The bed sheets were like sleeping on construction paper, anytime you move the sound would wake you up because the sheets were stiff and made with what appeared to be no natural fibers.
- The only thing you really touch in a room is the linens, these were imported garbage.
- The beds are SMALL, full size, my wife and I slept on one bed and it was incredibly small and we are not big people
- This is a train station, the advertisement says you can hear the subtle rumble of actual trains as they pass through the station, IT LITERALLY SOUNDED LIKE AN EARTHQUAKE!!! I thought the building was collapsing, so did my wife.

All and all, we will never stay at the Crowne Plaza again, the people were friendly but the accommodations were sub par at best and that is being nice

Room Tip: Do not stay in the 700 series train rooms if you cannot sleep through earthquakes or tornados, when...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank honesttravler
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your experience at our hotel. Many of the issues that are concerns that you have are being addressed with our full hotel renovation scheduled to begin in March of 2013. The cleanliness issues around the pool there is no excuse for and will be addressed immediately. The bedding issues are being resolved with the installation of the new Crowne Plaza bedding package in collaboration with our hotel renovation. Your feedback is helpful for us to address our guests concerns.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

We got a great rate & stayed in this hotel, which had the perfect location. We found it worth it to park on the street at a meter instead of paying for valet parking, although valet service is standard in this area. We walked everywhere & our room on the 1st floor was clean & bedding comfortable. No problems with noise or train sounds.

That being said, there were some issues. Pool was closed early and hot tub out of order.When we checked in the night before, we were told by the clerk that we were put in a king room although we had reserved 2 beds. She was able to change it to 2 doubles, apologized, and told us that our room rate would include breakfast-a nice perk. Except that the next morning when we went to get our "breakfast tickets" like she told us, the morning clerk had no idea what she was talking about & said our room did not come with breakfast. Housekeeping opened the door to our room shortly after 8-we never heard a knock & were getting dressed-but it opened only partway as we had the chain bolt on. Worst of all, a couple days later I noticed a funny charge on my credit card for 19.98$. I called to find out that after we left the hotel at 9:30am, someone (assuming a hotel employee since our room was locked after check out) watched a movie in our room at 11:30am which was charged to my credit card. Creepy! To the management's credit, when I called to inquire about the charge & protested that we hadn't turned our tv on, they promptly credited it back. Make sure you officially check out, even if you've prepaid, to avoid this type of creepy activity!

The location is perfect, the old train station turned hotel is fun & classy-pity the rest of the stay wasn't quite up to par.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank joyr24

I am sorry about the services issues that occurred during your stay. Unfortunately, we no longer have a hot tub due to the location, age, and new safety standards in regards to hot tubs. It was not possible to bring the exsisting hot tub to meet the new regulations required to continue to provide this amenity. We suggest all of our guests remember to use their deadbolt, night latches, and privacy signs to prevent them from accidentally being disturbed by employees trying to service the guest rooms. I will remind our staff to make sure they are audible when knocking and annoucing themselves, as it is hard to hear through the guest room door.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

As a frequent business traveler I appreciate unique hotels with some "character" - and the Crowne Plaza has some really interesting elements - they have a number of converted Pullman cars that they use as hotel rooms, and the layout is interesting and the place is situated in a perfect downtown location.

It was the location that led me to book a room here - I was in town for a conference at the adjacent historic Union Station - the nation's first, and wonderfully preserved and utilized for this event as the exhibit hall for a statewide educational conference and expo.

I was surprised that even with a travel club discount the room was still at the upper end of what I'm usually willing to pay, but for the sake of convenience I decided to opt for it.

When making my reservation, I advised them that my arrival might be late - 9 PM or so, which is almost exactly when I arrived - I was quite surprised after a very long day of traveling that there were 12 people in line ahead of me waiting to check-in and only two desk clerks behind the counter. As a member of the frequent guest program, they had my room in the "executive" section of the hotel on the second floor - but they did not explain to me that they had me in a different section of the hotel, and failed to supply the critical information I needed to find it - so I ended up wandering around for almost 20 minutes with all my luggage before I discovered that my room key unlocked a door to an unmarked section of the hotel where my room was located. The area was marked as a "designated quiet area" - which was unexpected but appealed to me. I later read that an active railroad is immediately adjacent to the hotel (it IS after all a railroad-themed hotel) and while the guest information states that you might hear a gentle rumbling - I later discovered that you might be shaken out of your bed by a thundering locomotive at any hour of the day or night. I am not a light sleeper, if you are this could definitely be a concern.

The room was appealing on the surface, but I quickly found a lot of problems: the grout in the shower was terrible looking - it had obviously had some overcoat painted on to make it look white and new, but about 50% of it had peeled off and so the contrast between the cosmetic treatment and the underlying grout was ugly. While the towels were soft and thirsty, the shower head was pointed at the middle of my chest and was so low in the shower that I had to duck to get my hair wet. If you are shorter than my 6'1" frame, this might not be a problem for you, but I found it irritating.

Maybe I was cranky after a long day of traveling and a long wait to check in, and a frustrating experience trying to find my room, but I found it hard to believe that there were only 5 clothes hangers in the closet, and that they only fit in the closet if they were turned SIDEWAYS. That's right, if you hang clothes perpendicular to the bar on the hanger the way they are intended to hang, you can't close the closet door. Really? How much did I pay for this room?

The room was obviously designed in the days when the average traveler had no need to plug-in any electrical or rechargeable devices. I always carry a small ultra-portable outlet strip with 4 outlets to give me easy access to charging while running my laptop. Unfortunately there were only a couple of outlets in an otherwise very large room, and (here's the real problem): they were in the most inconvenient places possible. The only one that was not completely blocked by heavy furniture was too far from the outside edge of the bedside table. The long cord on the clock radio was stretched to it's maximum length and the clock was barely perched on the very outside edge of the table! No way that my phone charger was going to allow my phone (which I use as the only fail-safe alarm clock I trust, as long as it is plugged into its charger at night) to be anywhere except on the floor, at least 4 feet from the bed.

What appeared to be a nice desk at which to work turned out to have only one outlet available - a two-prong on the base of the lamp. So my outlet strip (3 prong) can't help me now, and my laptop (3 prong) won't plug into the lamp. Argh! Do business travelers NEVER stay here? I can't imagine that you could get any work done in this room.

Internet. I held my breath to see what I was going to discover. OK, the good news - they offer free wi-fi to all guests - and they provided a wireless access code to get me logged on to the hotel network. The bad news - you guessed it - it was unbelievably slow. My 3G wireless on my phone, working as an access point was more than 10 times faster than the best test results I managed from Speedtest.net on the hotel wifi. Luckily, the hotel was hosting the conference, and the conference people installed their own free, unsecured WI-fi network that was available throughout the hotel for the days of the conference - it was fast and reliable.

If an educational show can come in and in one day set up a fast, solid wi-fi network on a temporary basis and provide it free to all comers, why can't the Crowne Plaza get decent service to their guests? Why, because they haven't been forced to do so.

I'm sorry to be so negative, but here's the core problem: low and mid-priced hotels have been successfully taking business travelers away from the upper tiers of hotels and will continue to do so until (and unless) they come to the realization that failing to understand the basic needs of your customer base will cause them to leave you in the dust.

The Crowne Plaza hasn't reacted fast enough to provide those very basic amenities like reasonably fast free wi-fi and recognizing that business travelers are highly dependent on portable electronics like smart phones and tablets that need to be recharged. They need to provide lots of outlets and locate them near the beds and the desks.

While the hotel has lots of good things, these issues overshadowed the positive attributes, in my opinion. I would not stay here again, even at half of what I paid, which would be about what I would have spent at a Hampton Inn or Courtyard - both of whom have these problems all figured out.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Mark R
Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is housed in the nations first Union Station. Some of the hotel rooms are housed in train cars that rest on the old train platforms.

I stayed in a standard hotel room and it felt like a standard motel room, not really up to par with what you would expect from a Crowne Plaza. As a Prioriry Club Platinum member I was given a voucher for a free drink.... Nothing more. No free breakfast, no room upgrade etc that I expect.

For the price paid, I think there are many other downtown hotels that have a more upscale feel... However this hotel was clean and I would consider staying here again just for the uniqueness and historical charm.

• Stayed: November 2012