“Great Location - Unique Hotel”

Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station)
Ranked #26 of 180 Hotels in Indianapolis
jackson
“Great Location - Unique Hotel”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights while taking part in FFA National Convention. Loved that we could get back and forth to all the different buildings without ever stepping outside- even the mall! I do think they could "dress" things up a bit to making it more exciting and to showcase the station. The common areas just seemed dark and cold. I loved feeling the trains rumble by and the rooms were big and clean! Everyone we dealt with was very nice- even at our 3am check-in. Parking is high and I did miss having a small fridge in the room.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for your comments about our hotel while you were visiting as part of the FFA convention. We are scheduled for a complete hotel renovation in March 2013. We are hoping that this will make our property have a warmer feel and updated look. I am sorry that the parking rates were a detriment to your stay. As the city of Indianapolis has been growing, so has the demand and rates of parking. Parking rates are something everyone that visits Indianapolis should investigate in advance so you aren't suprised upon your arrival.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Korean first
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed here for a conference in September 2012. Because of the conference rate, I was able to get a historic train car room. This was a really fun experience. Although the room is narrow and maybe not as spacious as some people are used to, I thought it was still well-designed and made good use of space. The decor was in keeping with the 1920s period, but the room had all the expected amenities. It might be a little difficult to get in and out if you have limited mobility, since you have to climb the train car stairs, but most people will be fine. Trains still run under the building, so it was sort of a strange experience to be awoken at night by a shaking/rumbling. It wasn't scary, though, and when I realized what was going on, it actually added to the experience. The train cars are in a corridor that people walk through frequently, but I didn't find that to be loud or disturbing. Unfortunately, I don't think I would have sprung for the train car if not for the special discounted rate. I think it may be a little expensive otherwise.

I am an architectural historian, so I loved the reuse of an historic building and just being able to explore the different gorgeous areas of the hotel. The hotel restaurant was fine, basically your standard American fare. The hotel is conveniently located 3-4 blocks from the main downtown area full of restaurants. The staff was friendly and the room and hotel were kept neat and clean.

I give the Crowne Plaza 4 out of 5 stars because it is a well-run, clean, unique mid- to higher end hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you for your review. I appreciate you giving specific details of your experience in the pullman traincar. The traincars are only $20 more than a standard room, so they are affordable for a unique experience.
New Jersey
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed at this hotel last month. My room was very nice. The location was close to the Convention Center. The staff did all they could to make my stay the best. The trains did not ssem to bother me and Indianapolis has a great variety of restaurants.
I already made my reservations for my next stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind words. I am happy to hear that our staff made you feel welcome in our city. We look forward to your return next year!
Carmel, Indiana
Reviewed November 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed here last night for a night away from the kids. The location is perfect. Close to Lucas Oil stadium and many resturants. We went to Harry & Izzy's (which was amazing). It was a little noisy with the trains going in by the the hotel. I didn't like that there wasn't an outside window in our room, it appears all rooms overlook the lobby to me. We had the breakfast rate, which was not good at all. The fresh fruit was the only thing really edible. I would definately recommend eating somewhere else. The rooms were nice size and clean. I did notice that their was not a refrigerator in our room. Not big deal for this trip, but if I was staying longer I would want one. All and all, I would stay there again given a good rate, but for the money I think they are nicer places to stay.

Room Tip: Skip the resturant, horrible food. Rooms can be noisy with the trains, maybe request far from train...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I apologize that the food in the restaurant fell below your expectations. We are open to any feedback that we can receive to improve our menu and offerings in the restaurant to better cater to our guests needs. We want you to feel that there is value in a room at our hotel. We do offer rooms that come with refrigerators in some room types.
DANVILLE
Reviewed October 28, 2012

The theme, the old rail building, is truly unique and magnificent. Loved the full-sized plaster human sculptures! Rooms were very nice, except for inexpensive bathroom fixtures. Room was also good sized. No breakfast was offered.

We stayed here for two nights to visit the university campus. Parking was difficult and expensive.

2 Thank bhailey
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am glad that you enjoyed the plaster traveler's from the past that are stationed throughout our building. We are a very unique hotel and our building has a lot of history. Please keep in mind, we do have rates available that include breakfast for two. I do apologize for the look of the bathroom fixtures. This issue is going to be addressed when our hotel undergo's a full renovation beginning in March of 2013.
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I loved this hotel! It has a great historic feel to it. The train cars and tracks in the hotel is what makes this hotel incredibly unique. Great pool, friendly staff, comfy bed. What more could you ask for? Will definitely stay again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rp_1055
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am very happy to hear that you enjoy the history and unique aspects of our hotel. Our staff will be happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience. Thank you again!
Bloomington, Indiana
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We stayed here for a wedding. the space was beautiful and the food was good. The decore of the hotel is very neat. You can have your room in a train car. overall it was a clean space, a little old. there is only 1 ice machine per floor and its not centrally located. There was no mini fridge so dont make plans to store things.

My only real complaint is that staff members started knocking on our door ar 8am, when check out is at noon. at least 1 staff member and 2 houskeepers knocked even though we had a do not disturb sign on the door. also there is no free or discounted parking.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank Holly C
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I am glad that you had a great experience attending the wedding at our hotel. Your compliments will be shared with the Food and Beverage staff. I want to apologize for housekeeping staff disturbing you prior to your departure of the hotel. Your comments will be discussed with the Housekeeping department to better identify departures without disturbing our guests. You shouldn't have been disturbed with a "Do Not Disturb" sign on your door.