“Great Location, Great Staff”

Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station)
Ranked #24 of 186 Hotels in Indianapolis
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed at this hotel last month. My room was very nice. The location was close to the Convention Center. The staff did all they could to make my stay the best. The trains did not ssem to bother me and Indianapolis has a great variety of restaurants.
I already made my reservations for my next stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Thank you for your kind words. I am happy to hear that our staff made you feel welcome in our city. We look forward to your return next year!

Reviewed November 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed here last night for a night away from the kids. The location is perfect. Close to Lucas Oil stadium and many resturants. We went to Harry & Izzy's (which was amazing). It was a little noisy with the trains going in by the the hotel. I didn't like that there wasn't an outside window in our room, it appears all rooms overlook the lobby to me. We had the breakfast rate, which was not good at all. The fresh fruit was the only thing really edible. I would definately recommend eating somewhere else. The rooms were nice size and clean. I did notice that their was not a refrigerator in our room. Not big deal for this trip, but if I was staying longer I would want one. All and all, I would stay there again given a good rate, but for the money I think they are nicer places to stay.

Room Tip: Skip the resturant, horrible food. Rooms can be noisy with the trains, maybe request far from train...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I apologize that the food in the restaurant fell below your expectations. We are open to any feedback that we can receive to improve our menu and offerings in the restaurant to better cater to our guests needs. We want you to feel that there is value in a room at our hotel. We do offer rooms that come with refrigerators in some room types.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

The theme, the old rail building, is truly unique and magnificent. Loved the full-sized plaster human sculptures! Rooms were very nice, except for inexpensive bathroom fixtures. Room was also good sized. No breakfast was offered.

We stayed here for two nights to visit the university campus. Parking was difficult and expensive.

2  Thank bhailey
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am glad that you enjoyed the plaster traveler's from the past that are stationed throughout our building. We are a very unique hotel and our building has a lot of history. Please keep in mind, we do have rates available that include breakfast for two. I do apologize for the look of the bathroom fixtures. This issue is going to be addressed when our hotel undergo's a full renovation beginning in March of 2013.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

I loved this hotel! It has a great historic feel to it. The train cars and tracks in the hotel is what makes this hotel incredibly unique. Great pool, friendly staff, comfy bed. What more could you ask for? Will definitely stay again!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank rp_1055
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am very happy to hear that you enjoy the history and unique aspects of our hotel. Our staff will be happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience. Thank you again!

Reviewed October 22, 2012

We stayed here for a wedding. the space was beautiful and the food was good. The decore of the hotel is very neat. You can have your room in a train car. overall it was a clean space, a little old. there is only 1 ice machine per floor and its not centrally located. There was no mini fridge so dont make plans to store things.

My only real complaint is that staff members started knocking on our door ar 8am, when check out is at noon. at least 1 staff member and 2 houskeepers knocked even though we had a do not disturb sign on the door. also there is no free or discounted parking.

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank Holly C
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I am glad that you had a great experience attending the wedding at our hotel. Your compliments will be shared with the Food and Beverage staff. I want to apologize for housekeeping staff disturbing you prior to your departure of the hotel. Your comments will be discussed with the Housekeeping department to better identify departures without disturbing our guests. You shouldn't have been disturbed with a "Do Not Disturb" sign on your door.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

The “Lillian Russell” car, like the 20+ cars converted to rooms in the Crowne Plaza Union Station is a little like a wrinkle in time. It has a teeny little closet, a teeny little bar (with refrigerator), and a teeny little bathroom. The lush king sized bed (a mystery how they got the mattress in???) was comfortable, as were the two club chairs, the desk and the flat screen TV. Union Station is still an active, multi-level station, with trains moving through periodically during the day and night. The décor is period-appropriate, and you have a sense of what long-distance travel was like in the 1920’s and 30’s.
It is a good idea to get help with luggage, as the Pullman steps up to the room are steep and narrow. I was carrying heavy camera equipment plus luggage and was grateful for the assistance. The bathroom is similar to other historic hotels of the era, and the bar with refrigerator was a treat. Room service is fast, hot and good. The steak sandwich I ordered was one of the best room service meals I have ever had in 30 yrs. of business travel.
The building itself is an architectural wonder; it makes you wish the elevator would take longer so you can enjoy it a bit longer.
I can’t say enough about how accommodating the staff is. In every instance…taking me to retrieve an article I had left behind on an appointment to the very knowledgeable help finding some obscure places I was seeking for photos…if someone couldn’t help, they found someone who could. Waiters and waitresses remembered customers from day to day, and regulars were welcomed like family. The housekeeping staff does not start that irritating “housekeeping” tap on the door at 8 am, which seems to be standard in most hotels these days, and were very quiet in the hallways. It is a convention hotel, so large groups of guests came home “happy” late at night, but that is pretty standard in any downtown hotel.
These cars sit as they rolled in on original tracks. Teens would find it fun to roam the hotel at will, as the Grand Hall, Station and of course, the room they have adjacent to yours down that narrow corridor with the Alice in Wonderland sized door would be just odd enough to be fun. The on-site restaurant is good (Breakfast buffet may be the best meal of the day), and it is a short complementary van ride to the Zoo, the Market, River and you can walk through a covered walkway to shopping and sports venues.

I would not consider another hotel. I want to take my grandkids on a business trip with me (28-10 yrs) to experience this bit of live history.

Room Tip: Ask for quiet side of Railroad car rooms. Staff will tell you which ones...Try the Rudolf Valentino...
1  Thank charaz
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your experience at our hotel. I am glad to here that you had an enjoyable stay and our staff took good care of you. I am sure other traveler's will appreciate the information you have provided so they can hear what a unique hotel and experience they can enjoy for themselves. Thank you again!

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Stayed in a Pullman car room, which is fun if you feel a bit adventurous in accomodation. Be prepared to lift luggage up the car stairs and to negotiate small spaces on the way to the room's entrance. There can be noise from the adjoining room on the other end of the car, and from other guests walking past the cars to nearby rooms. The cars are set up in two rows; the row farthest from the hallway is a little better from a noise perspective. The hotel lets you know you are adjacent to an active train station and can expect to encounter vibration/rumbles from the trains. This is probably more noticeable in the Pullman rooms since they are actual cars still sitting on their suspension systems--the trains passing nearby feel like small earthquakes, which is slightly unnerving until you get accustomed to it.

Caution: If you are traveling during football season, check the Colts' schedule for home games. The hotel is close to the stadium, and if you're in town on other business, it can be disruptive. Street access around the building can be restricted on game day. Also, nearby downtown restaurants fill up with revelers the night before the game, so dining reservations become a necessity.

As a train lover, I enjoyed this hotel, and the Pullman car accomodation, but it is not for everyone.

Room Tip: For Pullman cars, the farthest row, away from the hallway, is a little quieter.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Tlevaksilver
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your experience at our hotel. You provided very detailed and useful information regarding our location and things to be aware of when staying at our hotel. I know this information will be very useful for other travelers to our area. Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza Downtown Indianapolis and for sharing your thoughts.