“Right in the middle of everything”

Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station)
Ranked #25 of 185 Hotels in Indianapolis
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Overall good experience at Crowne Plaza in Indianapolis. Parking is expensive, which is typical for downtown. There was some construction in the adjacent parking garage and the elevator was out of order so that was a bit of a problem. We did have a complaint the first night with the noise in a room close to ours but security promptly took care of the situation. With all the negatives being said, it was a good location. Right next to Lucas Oil Stadium, walking distance to the mall and good restaurants. All in all a good experience.

Room Tip: Our kids enjoyed the train that is right in the middle of the hotel. You can actually sleep on the...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel. The construction on the surface of the self park Pan Am Garage is a challenge for our hotel and an inconvenience to our guests. We encourage our guests to check into the hotel before they self park to alleviate the frustration of dragging luggage up the stairs. We do apologize if you were inconveinced by this issue. I am confident the feedback you provided will assist other travelers when they stay at our hotel. Thank you for choosing to stay at the Crowne Plaza Downtown Indianapolis and sharing your thoughts.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

The company booked me in the Crowne Plaza DT Indy for a night. Thankfully it was only A night. It's not the worst place (like the Extended Stay in Orlando...see my review of that scary place) but it's not the Renissance O'Hare (see my review of this place!!!). Overall it's fairly clean and a great location if you need to access something d.town. The pictures online are a bit deceiving though. For instance, the pool. The picture online makes it look like this olympic sized pool when its actually quite dinky. The hot tub was broken on my visit but I got to walk by it everytime I went to my room (which certainly wasnt accessable as it was down a flight of stairs from the main level...I guess I'm in a garden room???). The pool and such is right off the lobby. If you're afraid to be seen in your speedo or bikini, dont venture to the pool here.

The room, while not vast, is decent sized with a king sized bed. Clean for the most part. The bath is another story. VERY small and I swear they hired a 10 year old boy to caulk every possible seam in it. Caulk here...caulk there...wall paper sagging and falling off the wall (you get my picture?) Someone surely went crazy with the cheese-wiz here. The bath tile was beaten to heck and the tile on the floor was gross. See the picture of the base tile I uploaded.

If you're staying one night and the company is floating the bill...go for it...otherwise I'd look elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your recent stay at our hotel. I want to apologize for the condition the bathroom floor and the poor caulking around the tub. I agree this condition is unacceptable and will be corrected. Your feedback is vital for us to make improvements in areas that affect our guests perception most. Thank you for your time and your honest feedback on your experience.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

Let me just say that we were very happy to be staying where we were staying. Valet was a bit expensive, but that is to be expected in a downtown area. That said, the Valet Manager cut me a great break on my valet expense which made everything great for me! The room is small and the bathroom smaller, but that is ok because of the area I am accessable to. Neat atmosphere in the hotel. HOWEVER. Last day of checkout MARIA from frontdesk was the worse experience I have ever had in a hotel. When I explained my discounted rate from valet she rolled her eyes, look at me like I was dumb and said "ummm...if you stayed for two nights WHY would they discount your parking?"

REALLY? Was she really calling me a liar? Yes she was...come to find out this was the very same girl that when I first called to check on my reservation was extremely rude on the phone and in the middle of my question said "HOLD ON" and then transferred my call. After being treated like a second class liar by Maria, the Valet on hand gave me the same act. I was upset at this point and told them they needed to get their Valet Manager on the phone. I was told "We will, but he wouldn't have given you this discount." GUESS WHAT...after they spoke to the valet manager my story was confirmed and my discount applied. Was I offerred an apology? No. Instead I was given my checkout paper by the Valet driver. When I went back to the front desk Maria wouldn't even look at me or acknowledge I was there.

Then I asked to speak to front desk manager, his name is NICK and he is just as unprofessional as she was. When I explained that this was the worst experience I have ever had he said "oh really...how so?" Hospitality tip 101 for Nick...never take a complaint from a guest with a challenging response or defensive stance. Needless to say, after giving my complaint, and him "acting like he cared," I watched Nick head to the other side of the counter, he thought I was gone and began to joke around and make faces with MARIA who was coming out of the back room.

Last time I will ever be back to this hotel again. Thanks Maria and Nick for ruining what would have been a perfect review.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room that is CART accessible if you have a lot of luggage. Some rooms have s...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank CulinaryClassics
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I want to apologize for the poor customer service that happened on your day of departure. This is not how we want our guests stay to end. Please rest assured that this situation has been discussed with all parties involved and will be handled in a different manner if confronted with a similar situation in the future.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

We arrived and were told that there were no more double bed rooms available, although that was what we'd reserved. No concessions made for us having to share a bed. The registration line is always long, so the process needs to be streamlined.
The hotel walls and doors are thin. You can hear EVERY noise made in the hallway, including the loud housekeepers that start rounds at 8am.
The room was not very clean and could use updates. The sheets and towels are dingy and smell strange. I left some clothing in the room by accident and no one seems to be able to locate it.
Overall, the only thing that I enjoyed about this hotel was its location and the neat train station layout, but there are so many other hotels in this area, I would not recommend paying the money to stay at Crowne Plaza Downtown Union Station.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2012

Dear SharonB86_12,

I certainly appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. I am pleased our location suited you well and glad you found our train station layout commendable. Please accept my sincere apology for the noise challenges you experienced during your stay. It is regrettable you were not happy with your overall experience with us. While we understand that your stay was less than satisfactory, we hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed September 29, 2012

The Service - Amazing. Checked in at 1am with a sore throat. Asked where I could get some hot tea.....someone went to the closed restaurant & found me some tea & sugar.
Internet - Free with Printing Free - it was great as I was attending for business purposes.

The Location - Great! Connected to the convention center. Right Downtown.

SLEEP - NOT POSSIBLE. The hotel is in an active train station. I could see the freight trains going past my window. How long are freight trains? 30-40 cars? You know what else? You can not only feel the room vibrating, but the squeaky sound of EACH car rubbing against the metal tracks. Then - AMTRACK is also at the station, 6am it passes through. Guess How I woke up every morning!!

COST - It's the only 3.5 star downtown indianapolis, so although it doesn't show you the name.....it's the only one

Room Tip: FAR _ FAR _ FAR away from the trains
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2012

Dear TiffanyKarin,

Thank you for taking the time to write our property a review. I am pleased that you found our location commendable and you had a good experience with our staff. I apologize if you found your stay less than satisfactory due to the noise levels at the hotel. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to host you again should your travels bring you back to Indianapolis.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed September 29, 2012

The idea to sleep inside an old station is exciting. Rehabilitation appears now a little bit old for some details, needing to be repaired. Our king side bed was really comfortable, and the room was clean, as the toilet. We was there to attend a conference in the congress rooms inside the hotel. During the session breaks they offered us a gorgious buffet, and breakfast was nice too. We had dinner and a light lunch at the restaurant and there we had a really nice experince: food was well coocked and service was ok. The skywalk crossing the hotel securely connects the gusts with a wide part of the city.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

Got a great rate at Hotwire. This hotel is close to everything downtown. The room was spacious, well-appointed and comfortable. The desk clerk was helpful and friendly. I wish that I would have had time to explore the facilities more extensively. I can honestly say that I've never had a bad experience at any Crowne Plaza. The only issue that I have about staying in any hotel downtown is the expense of parking.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple