“VERY UNHAPPY because of last day”

Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station)
Ranked #24 of 186 Hotels in Indianapolis
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Let me just say that we were very happy to be staying where we were staying. Valet was a bit expensive, but that is to be expected in a downtown area. That said, the Valet Manager cut me a great break on my valet expense which made everything great for me! The room is small and the bathroom smaller, but that is ok because of the area I am accessable to. Neat atmosphere in the hotel. HOWEVER. Last day of checkout MARIA from frontdesk was the worse experience I have ever had in a hotel. When I explained my discounted rate from valet she rolled her eyes, look at me like I was dumb and said "ummm...if you stayed for two nights WHY would they discount your parking?"

REALLY? Was she really calling me a liar? Yes she was...come to find out this was the very same girl that when I first called to check on my reservation was extremely rude on the phone and in the middle of my question said "HOLD ON" and then transferred my call. After being treated like a second class liar by Maria, the Valet on hand gave me the same act. I was upset at this point and told them they needed to get their Valet Manager on the phone. I was told "We will, but he wouldn't have given you this discount." GUESS WHAT...after they spoke to the valet manager my story was confirmed and my discount applied. Was I offerred an apology? No. Instead I was given my checkout paper by the Valet driver. When I went back to the front desk Maria wouldn't even look at me or acknowledge I was there.

Then I asked to speak to front desk manager, his name is NICK and he is just as unprofessional as she was. When I explained that this was the worst experience I have ever had he said "oh really...how so?" Hospitality tip 101 for Nick...never take a complaint from a guest with a challenging response or defensive stance. Needless to say, after giving my complaint, and him "acting like he cared," I watched Nick head to the other side of the counter, he thought I was gone and began to joke around and make faces with MARIA who was coming out of the back room.

Last time I will ever be back to this hotel again. Thanks Maria and Nick for ruining what would have been a perfect review.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room that is CART accessible if you have a lot of luggage. Some rooms have s...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank CulinaryClassics
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I want to apologize for the poor customer service that happened on your day of departure. This is not how we want our guests stay to end. Please rest assured that this situation has been discussed with all parties involved and will be handled in a different manner if confronted with a similar situation in the future.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

We arrived and were told that there were no more double bed rooms available, although that was what we'd reserved. No concessions made for us having to share a bed. The registration line is always long, so the process needs to be streamlined.
The hotel walls and doors are thin. You can hear EVERY noise made in the hallway, including the loud housekeepers that start rounds at 8am.
The room was not very clean and could use updates. The sheets and towels are dingy and smell strange. I left some clothing in the room by accident and no one seems to be able to locate it.
Overall, the only thing that I enjoyed about this hotel was its location and the neat train station layout, but there are so many other hotels in this area, I would not recommend paying the money to stay at Crowne Plaza Downtown Union Station.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2012

Dear SharonB86_12,

I certainly appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. I am pleased our location suited you well and glad you found our train station layout commendable. Please accept my sincere apology for the noise challenges you experienced during your stay. It is regrettable you were not happy with your overall experience with us. While we understand that your stay was less than satisfactory, we hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Joel B

Reviewed September 29, 2012

The Service - Amazing. Checked in at 1am with a sore throat. Asked where I could get some hot tea.....someone went to the closed restaurant & found me some tea & sugar.
Internet - Free with Printing Free - it was great as I was attending for business purposes.

The Location - Great! Connected to the convention center. Right Downtown.

SLEEP - NOT POSSIBLE. The hotel is in an active train station. I could see the freight trains going past my window. How long are freight trains? 30-40 cars? You know what else? You can not only feel the room vibrating, but the squeaky sound of EACH car rubbing against the metal tracks. Then - AMTRACK is also at the station, 6am it passes through. Guess How I woke up every morning!!

COST - It's the only 3.5 star downtown indianapolis, so although it doesn't show you the name.....it's the only one

Room Tip: FAR _ FAR _ FAR away from the trains
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2012

Dear TiffanyKarin,

Thank you for taking the time to write our property a review. I am pleased that you found our location commendable and you had a good experience with our staff. I apologize if you found your stay less than satisfactory due to the noise levels at the hotel. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to host you again should your travels bring you back to Indianapolis.

Pam G.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

The idea to sleep inside an old station is exciting. Rehabilitation appears now a little bit old for some details, needing to be repaired. Our king side bed was really comfortable, and the room was clean, as the toilet. We was there to attend a conference in the congress rooms inside the hotel. During the session breaks they offered us a gorgious buffet, and breakfast was nice too. We had dinner and a light lunch at the restaurant and there we had a really nice experince: food was well coocked and service was ok. The skywalk crossing the hotel securely connects the gusts with a wide part of the city.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

Got a great rate at Hotwire. This hotel is close to everything downtown. The room was spacious, well-appointed and comfortable. The desk clerk was helpful and friendly. I wish that I would have had time to explore the facilities more extensively. I can honestly say that I've never had a bad experience at any Crowne Plaza. The only issue that I have about staying in any hotel downtown is the expense of parking.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I recently spent 3 nights at this hotel while attending a conference at the Indiana Convention Center. The hotel was convenient as it is right across the street from the Convention Center and there is a skywalk from the hotel that takes you directly into the Convention Center from the hotel so you don't even have to go outside. This was nice due to the heavy rains last weekend. My room, a king, not a train car, was on the 3rd floor and it was very quiet up there. I did vaguely hear the trains coming in and felt very slight vibrations but this did not disturb me at all. The room was exceptionally clean and the bed was comfortable and I slept well. The hotel itself is charming, with the train theme throughout. I never saw anyone use the pool and the hot tub was out of order but this was not important to me. I used room service for most meals and except for the last morning, the food arrived on time, was very good and well presented, and the room service staff friendly and polite. Something happened the last morning however, and I did not receive the breakfast I ordered. I called and they did get my order together but it was delivered late and with only part of the order requiring me to call again to have the rest of the order delivered. This made me nervous about getting to my conference session on time and so I was not happy about the errors but this was certainly not the end of the world and I would stay there and use the room service again. Parking is not convenient. You can use the valet parking or you can park at an underground parking garage across the street at $22 per day. I decided not to try the street parking as I was in convention sessions all day and did not want to worry about having to move my car. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful when I had questions. Check out time was a madhouse due to everyone (a lot of conference attendees) trying to get their cars to the front entrance to load up their luggage. The street was quite congested and it was difficult to find a place to park my car in order to pack up my belongings. Overall, I had a pleasant but not perfect stay. But the key elements were there and I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Make sure you figure parking fees into your budget. Call ahead to find out the valet parking fees a...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 26, 2012

This a hotel located within Union Station in Indianapolis. It is attached to the convention center via a bridge which makes it convenient for business travelers. As far as I can tell, the hotel rooms have no outside facing windows. All the windows face an interior courtyard with artificial lighting. Because of this, I would not recommend this hotel for fair weather stays. I moved out of the hotel after the first night due to a lack of natural light, fresh air and poor conditions in the guest rooms. At over $225 per night, I thought this hotel was incorrectly pricing their rooms. The professional and friendly front desk personnel allowed me to cancel my stay and even drove me to my new hotel choice.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank chicago2socal
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Dear chicago2socal,

We appreciate that you took the time to review our hotel. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations at a competitive value. I am very pleased you found our front desk personnel professional and friendly. I am sorry you were not fully satisfied with the conditions of the room you received and regret you did not enjoy your overall stay with us. Though I would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts as this is our best resource for improving the quality and services we offer.

Joel B