Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station)
Ranked #26 of 185 Hotels in Indianapolis
Reviewed September 26, 2012

This a hotel located within Union Station in Indianapolis. It is attached to the convention center via a bridge which makes it convenient for business travelers. As far as I can tell, the hotel rooms have no outside facing windows. All the windows face an interior courtyard with artificial lighting. Because of this, I would not recommend this hotel for fair weather stays. I moved out of the hotel after the first night due to a lack of natural light, fresh air and poor conditions in the guest rooms. At over $225 per night, I thought this hotel was incorrectly pricing their rooms. The professional and friendly front desk personnel allowed me to cancel my stay and even drove me to my new hotel choice.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank chicago2socal
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Dear chicago2socal,

We appreciate that you took the time to review our hotel. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations at a competitive value. I am very pleased you found our front desk personnel professional and friendly. I am sorry you were not fully satisfied with the conditions of the room you received and regret you did not enjoy your overall stay with us. Though I would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts as this is our best resource for improving the quality and services we offer.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed September 23, 2012

I just returned from a conference in Indianapolis that had been held at the Crown Plaza. Overall, the facility was pleasant. It seemed to have an attentive staff, nice decor and so on. The night I was in town, a thunderstorm went through with torrential rains. A small part of the downtown area lost electricity for about 1.5 to 2 hours, and that part of town included the Crown Plaza. But the staff set up a table in the dark lobby (some emergency lighting was maintained) with water, fruit and some snacks. Again, nice and attentive.

My problem was our room. It was nicely sized and sufficient. But we were right across from the pool. And right behind us was another hall into which our room's emergency exit opened. The issue was that hall was a common thoroughfare and adjacent to some meeting rooms. Unfortunately, a registration table for those using the meeting rooms was set up immediately next to our emergency exit, back door. It was a common place where people were gathering and talking at 7:15 on Saturday morning. So with the registration table at our back door, and the pool at our front door, our stay was less than peaceful. My wife, in particular, did not sleep at all well with the late evening and early morning noise. Given this arrangement (indoor pool/atrium at the front door and hallway at the back door), there was also no ability to get fresh air into the room.

Again, the hotel seemed pleasant. And it likely has many fine rooms. It is just that ours was not one of them, which was very disappointing--especially for the price.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

Hello. It's been a year since my wedding, but I thought I'd write a review and welcome any managers to contact me at any time. My husband booked this hotel for our wedding night. He reserved a room that was in one of their train cars because we thought it would be just a really cool experience that you wouldn't normally have and why not it was our wedding night!! Husband confirmed that it would be ok since we'd be getting in late after our reception ended at the zoo and they told him not to worry our room would be there since he had already paid for it! Well, we got there, had our car valet parked, me still in my wedding dress and him in his tux went in, and wouldn't you know they gave our already paid room away. No more train cars available. They gave us a refund and were going to show us the door when my husband demanded they make this right. So in all fairness yes they gave us a free room... but this was after 20 minutes of NO ONE telling us what was going on and why they were running around clicking away at the computers. Just thought I would share my experience. Basically don't plan on your room really being there... even if you paid.

Room Tip: Don't pick a train car... might not be there when you show up
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Don't go there. They treat their guest horribly! I worked customer service for years and I can be pretty forgiving of people in the industry. I was shocked by how poorly they treated us. I would never, ever recommend this place to anyone. The hotel itself was beautiful, but the staff was awful. We ended up leaving the hotel half way through our stay because we were so dissatisfied. The security officer was so mean and wouldn't even let me speak when I was trying to complain. Awful! Just awful!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2012

Dear agauen86,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I am pleased that you found our location nice enough for your needs. Please accept my deepest apology if your stay was negatively affected by the customer service received. I will follow up with the staff to ensure incidents like this could be avoided in the future.

We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. Thank you again for your comments.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed September 18, 2012

Neat hotel created from a train station. The decor included statues of passengers and rail equipment. Rooms were roomy and clean. They had the fluffiest towels! Everyone was kind and helpful. The maintainence man even tried to fix my friend's scooter.

Room Tip: You may want to request a room opposite of the trains going by. It didn't bother me. But some fo...
Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

This is a beautiful repurposed hotel with outstanding character. It definitely needs updated, though. The pool is large and heated, but gross- visible dirt and paint chipping. Hot tub was closed. The area with train cars is smelly- like old oil, but not unbearable, seems appropriate for the setting. Train car room was cute and unique, but aged. Beds were not comfortable. Service was outstanding. This hotel is a little difficult to get to, but in a very good location for walking downtown.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 16, 2012

I really liked this hotel. Most hotels use the same old formula and just vary the decor. But this one is unique and fun. The hotel was built on/in the old Union Station and it keeps the train-station-feel, including train cars which you can stay in. If you're sensitive to noise, you may want to ask for a quiet room. Trains do pass by the hotel and you can hear/feel them. The noise was subtle enough that it didn't bother me, but everyone is different.
The hotel is in a great location too. There were many great restaurants and a blues club within walking distance.

1  Thank JrGovtExec