This is a comfortable hotel right in the center of downtown. It is across the street from the Mall and 5 to 8 minutes of walking to the Indiana Convention Center (dependng which way you go).
This is pretty much a standard Embassy Suites layout, with a large central atrium, giving the facility a spacious and airy feel.
The odd thing about this place is how it is located. You could easily walk by it and not realize there is a hotel there. That's because the lobby is on the fourth floor. You get there one of three ways: walking up the driveway stairs (easily confused as an alley), entering at the intersection corner by Panera Bread, going up an escalator, following a hallway and going up another escalator or entering by T.J. Maxx, up an escalator, walk a short distance and going up another escalator. In short, you kind of need to know where you are going to get there.
Check in is quick and efficient. Staff is very courteous and helpful. Bell staff are friendly and handles bags quickly.
Elevators (4) are quick, except when the hotel is very busy.
The rooms have been remodeled and are clean and generally comfortable. There is a living area (with a sleeper sofa), desk / table, ottomans, chairs and a wet bar with sink, refrigerator, coffee maker and microwave. A flat screen TV is located in the living area.
Our bedroom was a king bed. A small amoire / closet with chest of drawers completed the furnishings. There was a smaller flat screen TV there as well. There was an iron and ironing board. There is a vanity with sink and large mirror. The bathroom is smallish with tub / shower, toilet and sink. lighting is good. Ventilation is adequate.
Climate control during hot summer days was a bit iffy while we were there. We had the temperature turned down, fan on high and bedroom ceiling fan on high and it took a couple of days to get the room to a comfortable sleeping temperture. our room faced to the southwest, so it was imperative to keep the bedroom darkening shades closed to cut down on heat gain.
Our room was surprisingly quiet, even during busy nights.
There were a couple of niggling mainenance items: the handle on the hot water tap in the bathroom kept falling off. One bathroom light kept blinking off and on once it got hot. The bathroom GFI outlt was tripped every morning when we went to use the hairdryer (maybe a maid issue?). The finial on one of the bedroom lamps kept falling off when you used the lightswitch. The main door did not self latch, so you needed to shut it hard or push / pull firmly to make sure it was latched.These were minor concerns, but seemed like things that could be fixed.
Ice machines are on every floor. Washing machines and dryers are on odd numbered floors ($1.50 per load, each machine)
As with every Embassy Suites, there is a free full breakfast in the mornings. This includes an omlet station and breakfast buffett to meet all tastes (eggs, meats, fruit, yogurt, breads, cereals and beverages). The serving layout was a bit awkward for those who don't understand the self-serve buffett experience, so you must be patient on busy mornings. The staff works hard to keep everything restocked and tables cleaned.
There is also a manager's reception in the late afternoon (happy hour) with free drinks and food.
Papers are usually available every morning at the front desk.
There is a gift shop with a good selection of refresments, gifts and sundries and good prices.
There is a pool, a business center and a fitness room.
One oddity is room service. While it was good, it could be 5 o'clock before they got to your room, even though they were working in an adjacent room when we left in the morning.
The hotel is linked to the mall and several other hotels by a series of above ground tunnels and overpasses. Thus, you can go from the hotel to the Mall or Convention Center without going outside (nice when the weather is wet or uncomfortable).
All in all, this is a great place to stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Embassy Suites Indianapolis Downtown hotel is conveniently located within walking distance to many Indianapolis attractions. The new Lucas Oil Stadium and Conseco Fieldhouse are both just blocks away from our downtown Indianapolis hotel. The Indianapolis Motor Speedway is just 6 miles from the hotel. Our all-suite, full-service, upscale accommodations offer the ideal choice for the business or leisure traveler. Guests stay in a spacious two-room suite complete with a refrigerator, microwave oven and coffee maker. Our complimentary cooked-to-order breakfast and complimentary manager's reception are served daily in our lush open air atrium. Unwind and refresh in our indoor pool, fitness center and whirlpool. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hilton Hotels Direct, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline, HotelPower, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your Embassy Suites by Hilton Indianapolis - Downtown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Embassy Suites Indianapolis
- Indianapolis Embassy Suites