“Comfortable in Downtown”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Indianapolis - Downtown
Ranked #98 of 186 Hotels in Indianapolis
Reviewed August 29, 2012

This is a comfortable hotel right in the center of downtown. It is across the street from the Mall and 5 to 8 minutes of walking to the Indiana Convention Center (dependng which way you go).

This is pretty much a standard Embassy Suites layout, with a large central atrium, giving the facility a spacious and airy feel.

The odd thing about this place is how it is located. You could easily walk by it and not realize there is a hotel there. That's because the lobby is on the fourth floor. You get there one of three ways: walking up the driveway stairs (easily confused as an alley), entering at the intersection corner by Panera Bread, going up an escalator, following a hallway and going up another escalator or entering by T.J. Maxx, up an escalator, walk a short distance and going up another escalator. In short, you kind of need to know where you are going to get there.

Check in is quick and efficient. Staff is very courteous and helpful. Bell staff are friendly and handles bags quickly.

Elevators (4) are quick, except when the hotel is very busy.

The rooms have been remodeled and are clean and generally comfortable. There is a living area (with a sleeper sofa), desk / table, ottomans, chairs and a wet bar with sink, refrigerator, coffee maker and microwave. A flat screen TV is located in the living area.

Our bedroom was a king bed. A small amoire / closet with chest of drawers completed the furnishings. There was a smaller flat screen TV there as well. There was an iron and ironing board. There is a vanity with sink and large mirror. The bathroom is smallish with tub / shower, toilet and sink. lighting is good. Ventilation is adequate.

Climate control during hot summer days was a bit iffy while we were there. We had the temperature turned down, fan on high and bedroom ceiling fan on high and it took a couple of days to get the room to a comfortable sleeping temperture. our room faced to the southwest, so it was imperative to keep the bedroom darkening shades closed to cut down on heat gain.

Our room was surprisingly quiet, even during busy nights.

There were a couple of niggling mainenance items: the handle on the hot water tap in the bathroom kept falling off. One bathroom light kept blinking off and on once it got hot. The bathroom GFI outlt was tripped every morning when we went to use the hairdryer (maybe a maid issue?). The finial on one of the bedroom lamps kept falling off when you used the lightswitch. The main door did not self latch, so you needed to shut it hard or push / pull firmly to make sure it was latched.These were minor concerns, but seemed like things that could be fixed.

Ice machines are on every floor. Washing machines and dryers are on odd numbered floors ($1.50 per load, each machine)

As with every Embassy Suites, there is a free full breakfast in the mornings. This includes an omlet station and breakfast buffett to meet all tastes (eggs, meats, fruit, yogurt, breads, cereals and beverages). The serving layout was a bit awkward for those who don't understand the self-serve buffett experience, so you must be patient on busy mornings. The staff works hard to keep everything restocked and tables cleaned.

There is also a manager's reception in the late afternoon (happy hour) with free drinks and food.

Papers are usually available every morning at the front desk.

There is a gift shop with a good selection of refresments, gifts and sundries and good prices.

There is a pool, a business center and a fitness room.

One oddity is room service. While it was good, it could be 5 o'clock before they got to your room, even though they were working in an adjacent room when we left in the morning.

The hotel is linked to the mall and several other hotels by a series of above ground tunnels and overpasses. Thus, you can go from the hotel to the Mall or Convention Center without going outside (nice when the weather is wet or uncomfortable).

All in all, this is a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Learn where the various entrances are. If on the Southwest or South side of the hotel, keep you roo...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank I82X73
ESManagementTeam, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Indianapolis - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

Thank you for the glowing remarks about our hotel and great staff. However, I am sorry we were unable to provide you with the quality of amenities you deserved. We apologize for the malfunctioning water tap handle and lights in the bathroom. I am also sorry for the confusion in trying to latch the door open and shut. I have reported your concerns to our maintenance team. We will be sure to address the issues and hope you will consider giving us a second chance if you return to the area.

(317)236-1906

Write a ReviewReviews (1,497)

Reviewed August 23, 2012

I enjoy staying at Embassy Suites & Homewood Suites when I travel. Last year I stayed at Homewood Suites in downtown Indianapolis and we loved it. This year it was full during Gen Con and so I immediately booked a room at Embassy Suites. The rooms are very nice (I asked for a renovated room and was placed on the 13th floor, which is the latest floor to be renovated) clean, and what I consider to be a typical Embassy Suites room.

At check-in, Matt at the front desk was very accommodating and I specifically asked for his name so that I could mention it on here. Keep up the good work! :)

During Gen Con, the hotel is swamped with gamers and those are my customers... so I love it! The breakfast can be a bit chaotic around 9am, but the staff did an excellent job keeping the food stocked and the tables cleaned. A couple hundred people hitting the breakfast area at the same time is pretty brutal. The staff did a great job!

I only got to enjoy the manager's reception 1 night because we had meetings and dinner reservations the rest of the time we were there. But it was pretty quick with 2 serving windows and we were pleased that we could get drinks quickly. Other Embassy Suites struggle in this area sometimes but not here!

I'm not super picky on pillows, but I couldn't really find a comfortable one out of the 5 I could choose from on the bed. I felt like they were either really unsupportive and squished down to nothing... or they were overfilled with material and pushed my head way up. Again, normally I don't care about pillows and can use whatever I'm given. 1303 was our room number and those pillows were junk in my opinion.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room. The 13th floor was very nice and elevator wait wasn't terrible... most...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We were staying at the Embassy Suites for a convention in downtown Indianapolis for the second time. I had a great experience previously but this year they gave us a room where the carpet drastically needed to be cleaned or replaced. There was a very nasty smell emanating from the carpet near the television that became worse if anything came in contact with it (like a foot or chair). Eventually I just threw a towel over the spot as a "reminder" to give it that area a good amount of clearance so we were able to live with it and the maid service (who cleaned our room daily), never touched it so I know that housekeeping was aware of it. I would have given the hotel a much better review but the odor was extremely foul.

Room Tip: Stay away from 1307 until they steam clean that carpet or bring Febreeze with you.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
ESManagementTeam, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Indianapolis - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

Thank you for your feedback. I shared your feedback with the housekeeping team and we are actively taking steps to freshen our guest rooms and I assure you that this is not typical of the condition of our carpet. I appreciate your time in reviewing our hotel and look forward to seeing you during your next visit to the area.

Reviewed August 18, 2012

The hotel is in a great location with inside walkway the mall and many restaurants. Downstairs is Colts Grille and Panera Bread. Rooms were spacious suites, very clean and fairly new decor. My one issue is the evening receptions take place in the breakfast area not is one of the bar areas. Drinks are served out of a window. The hotel does not offer grapefruit juice - strange. Stayed here on rewards, and was not acknowledged anywhere as being an Honors member. Overall good quality hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms seemed to be in a good location.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Travelled to Indy for the Brickyard 400 - the hotel was packed with exciting and energetic race-car fans, participating teams and vendors. This was a birthday gift for my son & wife and grandson - The room was very spacious - well laid out for all four of us - we did not go down extremely early for breakfast, but it was more than adequate - and the two "big" eaters were very happy. I was unfortunately using a walker for our stay, and everyone accommodated my situation very well, not making a big deal about it - but assisting at every juncture. Even one of the housekeepers brought my walker down the escalator when I was "hung up" a bit. The young gentleman at the concierge desk (lower level) was more than helpful with race information - where we could get our shuttle tickets - and the benefits of the hotel car service over other options - very convincing - and right on the mark!

We were treated like royalty - something that I certainly appreciated --- and my less-travelled family members will be expecting this service wherever they go - if they stick with Embassy Suites/Hilton -- they can't go wrong. Very high on my list.

Room Tip: We had a corner suite - it was more than enough room for our purposes - we were away from the hotel...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I have just returned from a small group stay in which we all used the Embassy Suites Indy for the first time. On the positive side, the staff was friendly and helpful...especially the bell staff. The rooms have been updated and were of a pleasant design.

Unfortunately, there are negatives with this property as well. The typical Embassy design makes for a very noisy experience. Add to this the fact that our shower curtain was about to fall off and the carpeting was stained from a previous guest. I also found my mattress was in need of being updated as it sank severly in the middle.

For anyone staying at this property--note that internet is NOT included. At $11 per day, I feel it was a blatant fleecing of hotel guests.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank zsfav
ESManagementTeam, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Indianapolis - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2012

Thank you for your feedback of your recent stay with us. I'm very happy you were able to experience are warm friendly staff. However, I sincerely apologize that we were unable to meet expectations and based upon your review I am actively participating with our housekeeping staff to ensure that they are following proper protocol for servicing our suites. I can assure you this is not typical. I hope that if your travels bring you back to the area that you will consider staying with us again. Thank you again, I appreciate your honest feedback.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

Although a local, I occassionally attend events in downtown Indy and choose hotels for location. For this trip, I turned in some Hilton Honors points so that I could get a good room, centrally located, and a breakfast included. Upon arrival, I was greeted by friendly front desk staff and given a room that was updated in decor and provided the usual Embassy Suites ammenities. However, the hotel is somewhat dated and the air conditioning is either on or off using a fan system during summer and heat in winter that must circulate throughout the entire hotel. The result was not a very cool room on a very warm day. However, you can mitigate the heat issue through the use of the ceiling fans they have located throughout the suite.

Also, I expected to be able to have breakfast the next morning - but I was in for a surprise of cheerleaders in town that flooded the buffet. My wife and I waited in line for about 35 minutes before we just gave up and went down the street to patachou. I think that given that Indy has a lot of conventions and events, I expected the hotel to be able to accomodate without any disruption and believe that this could definitely be improved to meet the expectations associated with an Embassy Suites hotel.

If you are looking for a very clean room that is fantastic on size and centrally located in Indy - this is the place. If you are looking for a normal Embassy Suites - you will be a little disappointed and may even have your other needs missing (cool room or included breakfast). Regardless, the staff were very friendly even though they appeared to be working very hard which can sometimes be taxing on the employees in Indy hotels I've seen in action before.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple