“Don't miss the papas for your side!”
Review of Abuelo's

Abuelo's
Ranked #213 of 2,395 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch
Description: Abuelo's invites you to experience the incredible flavors of Mexico, combining homemade cooking with rich flavors of coastal and interior Mexican cuisine.
Reviewed March 18, 2013

My family visits Abuelos on a regular basis, and we have tried many different menu items. None have disappointed in terms of taste and quality. Their sides are a little different than the regular Tex-Mex restaurant. The papas (seasoned cheesy mashed potatoes) are divine. Their ranchero beans are just average, nothing to write home about. Entrees have always been well cooked and seasoned. Their tortilla soup is also very good. Portions are always big enough to need a take-home box for the next day. Now for the brief downsides...

We have tried beef, chicken, and seafood dishes, and all tasted great--but there was an occasion when the two of us who shared a shrimp dish both got food poisoning later that evening, and the only thing we had eaten in common all day was the shrimp. Consequently, we avoid the seafood there now.

My only other recommendation is NOT to show up on a holiday without a reservation. We agreed to sit at the bar, and were ignored there for 30 minutes before we got up and left. Bartenders walked right by us numerous times. That is the one and only time we had unforgivably bad service. Generally, their wait staff are above average in responsiveness.

1  Thank MaryDee1

Reviewed March 16, 2013

They have several fancier entrees than the traditional Mexican fare but I had the Fajitas tonight. They were good and filling enough to split with my wife. I ordered an appetizer of spinach stuffed mushrooms and made a comment that the portion was small to the waitress and a manager came over to remove it from my bill. I was happy that they were so sensitive about my complaint but I was not expecting that reduction in bill. The mushrooms were good and I should have expected a small portion for the price but it just surprised me a bit and I made a comment. Anyway the fajitas were good. We had the chicken which had a nice grilled flavor. I think next time I will try a fish dish.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Service was excellent. Abuelo's is a tex-mex place and is always good. Very Clean, and large selction of menu.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

It's sad that before I even saw a menu I was quite unimpressed with the restaurant. Upon walking in the door, there was nobody present to serve my wife and I. Waiters would walk by and notice us, but no service. We stood there what seemed to be at least 3-5 minutes waiting for the seating staff to take us to our seats. Did I mention that it was in the afternoon, and nobody else waiting, and lots of open tables? "They were probably busy" just didn't seem like a likely excuse. After being seated, we continued to wait until finally our server showed up. He was friendly, and we placed some drink and appetizer orders...and then continued to wait. The food came out and was fine - nothing great, not bad, it was food. Ultimately, the name of the game here is waiting. If you enjoy spending time wondering where service is at, this is your spot!

Reviewed October 27, 2012

A friend and me went to this restaurant for the first time yesterday. It is always packed so we thought that would be a good thing. Evidently people are starved for Mexican in this area because this restaurant left much to be desired.
When we entered at half hour after dinner opening time, the "greeters" we're Luke warm friendly. We were taken to the bar area and placed at a high top table. There was NO wait. When I asked for a booth in the dining room, the host said he didn't know if they had a server available. I know they just opened, but accommodate the guest without trying to make me feel bad for a reasonable request.
The server was friendly and efficient. It took.a little too long for the food to arrive. The chips that came with delicious salsa were cold and obviously from a bag. Disappointing!
The food was a little above average, but if I had waited in a line to be seated, it would not have been worth the wait. Taco Bell is up the street. The food is not that much different and MUCH cheaper. With NO alcohol nor appetizer the bill was $37.00 BEFORE tip.