“Great Atmoshphere, So So Food”
Review of Abuelo's

Abuelo's
Ranked #197 of 2,379 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch
Description: Abuelo's invites you to experience the incredible flavors of Mexico, combining homemade cooking with rich flavors of coastal and interior Mexican cuisine.
Indianapolis
“Great Atmoshphere, So So Food”
Reviewed July 8, 2012

We ate there last night after having received a gift card from some friends. The atmoshpere of the restaurant is very neat and has a lively feel to it, but the food was nothing to get excited about. The complimentary chips and salsa were some of the worst I have had in the city and I love chips and salsa. Better to get a bag of Kroger chips and salsa from the store than these. The enchiladas we got were ok but nothing special. I must say that I will not head back to this place as there are many other Mexican restaurants in the city that are a better place to go.

• Visited July 2012

Richmond, Virginia
“Friendly help, OK food”
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Abuelo's is just at the cusp of being very good. I was in Indianapolis for an evening, was told by knowledgeable hotel staff down the road that it was very good Mexican, so I came in on a very slow Sunday evening and had a decent meal.

The most impressive part of the evening was not the food, but the staff. The hostess was smiling and gracious as she led us to our table. Our server, Jonda, was absolutely top notch. Not only was she able to offer me suggestions about the meal, but bent over backwards to make sure that I received exactly what I wanted.

Guacamole appetizer was on point, chunks of guac, with tomato, not spicy. I asked (and received) a plate of the larger tortilla chips that made the dipping easier.

I had the mixed fajita plate. Chicken was perfectly cooked, but the onions/peppers were seared to the bottom of the iron skillet, making it difficult to include in a wrap. The stuffed shrimp wrapped in bacon were small and slightly over done, but filling and tasty.

My partner had the tilapia, which was fresh and flaky. The sauce spicy and appropriate. The mixed vegetable side was a bit soggy.

Beers were half priced and on tap. Good. Margueritas in a shaker were good, but seemed to lack enough tequila for a real kick. Bad..

The portions are large, the service spectacular, the food filling, but not stellar. A cut above your average Mexican fare.

Visited July 2012
Indianapolis
“More TexMex than Mexican”
Reviewed May 4, 2012

Excellent service and food. You can get more authentic Mexican for a lot less in Indy, but not with this nice of an atmosphere.

• Visited August 2011
Indiana
“frequent happy diner”
Reviewed April 28, 2012

I visit this place often and have never been disappointed in any way. Queso is yummy. Salsa is nicely flavored. Many options, great prices. Servers are always extremely friendly, you never have to get their attention because they are attentive. Happy environment.

• Visited April 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Great food and drinks”
Reviewed February 19, 2012

If you like Mexican / Tex Mex, this place is good. I really love their dips. they have what's called aSangria Swirl which is combo frozen Sangria and Margarita which is great. Of course they have unlimited chips and salsa, but make sure to try the food - burritos, tacos, or fajitas. Everything I've had is good.

Visited February 2012