“Best Mexican Fiesta in Indianapolis”

Adobo Grill - Downtown Indianapolis
Reserve with OpenTable
Adobo Grill - Downtown Indianapolis is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #203 of 2,351 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Southwestern, Spanish
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown Indianapolis
Cross street: Washington and Pennsylvania
Toronto, Canada
“Best Mexican Fiesta in Indianapolis”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Good quality of food and portion all prepared fresh. Delightfully tasty guacamole prepared tableside

Visited August 2012

Louisville, Kentucky
“Awesome, Awesome,Awesome!!!”
Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I ate there for my Birthday last summer. We loved everything we tried. The table side Guacomole was real great as well. We are planning on going back this summer.

• Visited July 2012
Richmond, Virginia
“Good Food, fun venue”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We took our 5 year old grandson to IND and we all love Mexican food. I had the chili rellenos and it was one of the best of this dish I have ever had. The hubby had one of the enchilada combos and it was tasty too. We love table side guacamole and theirs was awfully good. The band paid special attention to our grandson, who thought it was pretty cool to have them come to the table to sing. A nice venue and attentive service.

• Visited June 2013
Munster, Indiana
“Great Food, Poor Service / Coordination (Private Party)”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I booked a private party in their "Mexico" room (sized for 40 - 90). Our party was planned for 30 - 35. We had never visited the restaurant because when we came to Indy to check it out, we didn't know it is not open for lunch on the weekends and needed to get back.

Because we hadn't seen the room we arrived about 20 minutes early to check things out. Upon our arrival, we were told the room wasn't ready, even though it had been booked 3 months in advance. By the time of our reservation, we had 10 - 12 people standing at the entry waiting to be seated. We were only allowed to go up to the room exactly at our reservation time (6:00 pm Friday night). When we walked in, the carpet (which looked quite worn) as well as some of the seats still had what looked like chips left in them. This was a very disconcerting start to our party (wedding rehearsal dinner party).

I immediately asked for the manager I had been working with. When he arrived a little later, he appeared to have just come into the restaurant. He apologized for the room and told me that he had been at a "festival" (apparently another event in Indy?). I didn't find it a good excuse to not have my room ready for a party, so I was initially irritated, as was my wife.

I also noted that there were only four 8-top tables set up, even though we were charged for 35 people. If I am going to be charged for a number, service should be set for it. Also, the picture of the room on the website is the larger side of the Mexico room, which can be divided. We were seated on the smaller side, which is narrower: just the 4 tables felt too tight for that half of the room. I also noticed that the larger side of the room was partially set up, cleaner and was not used the entire time we were there. We should have been set up on that side.

We booked a family style party (Parrillada) and the food & presentation was very good. The guacamole and salsa comes out first, and the wedge salad comes out after the tables are cleared of the guacammole and salsa. The entrees come out with rice in the center of the platter under other foods, with the meats and vegetables around the side. We added shrimp, which was served in the center of the platter and was a nice addition.

Again, the food was very good. However, when the entrees were taken up, I felt we should have been asked if we wanted anything boxed, which we would have preferred (even to give away to some of the just-out-of-college students who made up half of the party). This food was thrown away. Then, we were served the wrong dessert. The Parrillada menu lists tres leches for dessert, but we were served churros, which seem cheaper. Also, there were barely enough for one per person.

Overall, the service coordination felt unorganized and no one except the manager seemed confident in taking care of issues. I think a language barrier is part of the problem. From the first contact I made (over three months in advance) all the arrangements seemed a little "loose", leaving me wondering, "do they understand what I want?" This missing depth of communication contributed to my not being able to visit the restaurant in advance. Another example of the apparent lack of organization came three days before the event. I had spoken with my contact to finalize the drink menu. Later that day, my wife told me the restaurant had called our home asking about the same thing. When I called the restaurant back later, the manager told me he knew he had spoken to "someone" about drinks, but had forgotten who it was.

Most of my contact with the restaurant left me a little unsure of what to expect. Having been disappointed on a number of fronts during execution, I would suggest they hire some native English-speaking staff in key positions (for example catering coordinator, answering phones, etc.) so they don't jeopardize their great food with poor or unpredictable service / coordination.

• Visited June 2013
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Don't miss the table side guacamole”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I am a sucker for a mariachi band and theirs was good. The table side guacamole was the highlight. I would go there and have it for dinner. The lamb soup was also excellent. Certainly a cut above the typical Mexican restaurant but not a'destination

• Visited February 2013