“Not worth it!” 2 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Allisonville st
Description: Sushi on the rocks offers a unique blend of japenese traditions with a french infusion inspired taste. We cater to all forms of sushi fans. of course sushi, chicken, salmon and steak , not even sushi various kitchen menu items from edamame to Steak , Come enjoy our unique ambiance along with a experienced serving staff. That will make your visit a memorable experience.
“Not worth it!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

All I can say is the sushi was good but our entrees were a joke.
Dried up mackerel and what looked like packaged frozen chicken in bland sauce . It was no where worth the 50 dollars we paid. Our waitress was sweet and very good. Food not so much!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

“Overall experience matched the ambiance.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

Went in on a Monday night and was extremely impresses by the time we had. First and foremost, half price sushi on Mondays! After finding that out, we found out that it was much more than just a sushi place. We tried the beef yakiniki entree and the flavor.and tenderness was great. It looked like the place was formerly a nightclub, but it only added to the overall nature of our experience. Great food (snow mountain highly recommended), and very friendly and professional staff.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Saint Paul
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disgusting food handling practices...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

We had a 6:30 reservation on a Saturday night, we arrived early and were seated immediately. The restaurant was busy, but not full. After we ordered our appetizer and soup were served very quickly, but it took at least 45 minutes for our meals. I came back from the restroom to find my dinner waiting on me, and it was the wrong entree (shrimp, when I ordered a beef noodle dish). I called the waitress over and told her, she looked a bit panicked and said she must have grabbed someone else's dish by mistake and took it away. She returned with my food a few minutes later. After tasting it I found that it was barely warm, and some bites were cold. So...I called her over again. I stated that it had taken a really long time to get our food, and that it shouldn't be cold, especially when it took that long. She said something along the lines of she just had to TAKE THE WRONG DISH FROM MY TABLE AND TAKE IT TO THE CORRECT TABLE and the she brought my food right out.

WHAT!?!?!? I told her that it was disgusting that she served the food that had been in front of me to another table, and she said "Well, you didn't touch it.." and I asked her how she knew that. She replied that she assumed I hadn't, and I asked once again how did she know and that was disgusting. I then wondered if my food had came from another table as well since she obviously saw no problem with this. She said she would get the manager and walked away. She didn't apologize, and she actually seemed a bit irritated.

After several minutes passed no manager arrived and I asked someone else to get him. A few minutes later he arrived, or at least I can only assume it was him. He walked up to the table and sort of stood there. I asked if he was the manager, and he said he was, although he was dressed no differently than the wait staff, and I have NEVER had a manager approach the table like that. I explained the situation to him. He said she shouldn't have done that and indicated that he could get me new rice. I explained that my entire meal was cold, and I was also unsure if the plate came from another table. He then said he would make a new meal for me.

Neither he or the waitress apologized. They both seemed a bit irritated, maybe complaints happen a lot and they have lost the ability to deliver good customer service, or maybe they are just jerks.

My new meal was served, and it was good, although no one at the restaurant knows this because NO ONE asked if it was okay. Not the waitress, and the "manager" never returned to check.

I honestly wish that I had gotten up and found the table with the shrimp, told them what happened and left (if you were eating shrimp tempura on 10/27 around 7:20 this might have been YOU). For some reason, I still ate the food.

The waitress was scarce after this, and although overly polite words were flying out of her mouth when she did come around she was visibly MAD. She commented that my meal would be comped, and it wasn't. We did not complain because we had a Groupon (pay $15 for a $30 Groupon) and had my meal been comped we would not have been able to use it...that meant we would have had to pay for my husband's meal, and still have the Groupon, and we certainly were not coming back to use it. So...we paid and didn't say a word.

All in all, this was absolutely the worst dining experience I have EVER had. Even the kids at McDonald's know not to wrap back up the wrong food and serve it again, and this dummy waitress didn't see a problem with it all...which leads me to believe it's common for her, and maybe for others that she learned from/taught this to. Only go here if you're not afraid that your meal has been in front of another person who might or might not have poked at it with their dirty fork, or tried a bite or two of it before the meal made it to your table.

• Visited October 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank amieretto
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Unagi!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

My boyfriend and I worked downtown for quite some time and we love sushi on the rocks. Though you should know what you want before ordering because if not, you won't get what you want. Him and I are love unagi so much but we also like to mix it up a bit. Sushi on the Rocks is a nice place to dine for younger couples.

• Visited September 2012
Carmel, Indiana
“Sushi On the Rocks is Just OK”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

My wife and I love sushi. We decided to go to Sushi On the Rocks because we have never been there. The sushi menu is big. The offerings are short on classics and long on the creative selections. The sushi was good but not great. Our waitress was unknowledgeable about sushi. The oddest thing about this restaurant is it shares the same space with a night club. Same space. Sushi restaurant on the ground level and night club upstairs. Same space. As our dinner progressed, the noise of the night club intruded into our pleasant evening. When the check finally arrived we couldn't wait to leave. We won't be in a hurry to return to Sushi on the Rocks.

• Visited October 2012