“Mmmmmmmmmm!”

Ranked #339 of 2,395 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Washington
Description: We have delicious,authentic Greek food and great service for all ages. Family owned and operated. We have a private room (for up to 25 people) that is perfect for a business meeting or small celebration. We also are available to CATER your event of any size.
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Twice a year we go to Indy and Athens on 86th is always a stop. I had the rack of Lamb and for desert.....Baklava!

1  Thank Greg R

Reviewed January 20, 2013

My wife and I have been to Athens on 86th St three times in the last 4-5 months. Each time wer found the food to be very good and the service to be attentive and timely. On our most recent visit we each had specials of the night -- a lamb shank in a nice lemon sause with artichokes and mushrooms and a well-seasoned broiled grouper filet. There were a number of family groups -- with little kids being especially excited by the flaming cheese apetizers. (I don't mean to suggest that the kids were noisy or under-foot.)

Reviewed January 9, 2013

My husband and I stopped here for a late lunch/ early dinner. We had the hummus with pita bread for an appetizer, and an order of chicken kebabs which included a Greek salad. All of the food was delicious and fresh, and the service was excellent.

1  Thank Sherri B
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Awful. The only thing worse than the food was listening to the servers and the kitchen yell at each other. I would have rather stayed home and avoided the headache.

Reviewed May 13, 2012

The wife and I took a group of 8 out this evening for our first visit to Athens on 86th. The place appeared pleasant and was busy. The waitresses appeared young and un-experienced as it took several requests to recieve all our drink orders, as they reached across us several times that evening.

I was disappointed to find out that they had run out of eggplant for my favorite Greek dish, Mousaka. I opted with someone else in the party for the filet of beef kabobs, cooked to medium, as we found it over cooked, flavorless, and chewy. Another person ordered the Kota Psiti, describing the chicken as very dry. On the other hand, the salads were very good as was the bread, despite it showing up after the salads. The potatoes, rice, and green beans were tasty although the portions were quite small. We later heard the waitresses discussing that they were running out of these items as well.

I’m sorry, but I would not recommend Athens on 86th to others. The staff was kind and the restaurant appeared clean, however, the quality of food and dishes available, not to mention portions, are seriously not worth the money we paid. I would recommend Santorini’s in Fountain Square, as the food is much better and the portions complete if not hearty.