“Never Stay in This Place Ever”
Review of Stone Soup Inn

Stone Soup Inn
Ranked #11 of 18 Indianapolis B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 9, 2007

Terrible place. It is dirty and very noise you can hear everything that is happening in the other rooms. I wouldn't recomment it to anybody.

Stayed: June 2007
1  Thank hoteluser_hotel

Reviewed June 4, 2007

I have even been to a B&B that bad for my life. The inn keeper have not idea what is going on. This is the most dirtyest inn ever.
The room a so different from the pictures This place is like a Zoo here.

Don't go there

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed May 22, 2007

we stayed at the stone soup inn the weekend of the Indy mini marathon. This was our first half marathon and our first stay at a bed and breakfast. We loved both experiences. It was more like staying at a friend's house than it was a motel. The caretakers made us feel very welcome and were very helpful but unobtrusive. We stayed in the carriage house the first night and the nw loft the second. Angie recommended the Milano Inn for dinner - very good food and great service! saturday we ordered pizza from Donato's - best veggie pizza I've ever had! the stone soup inn is a wonderful turn of the century home with modern updates in a nice quiet neighborhood just North of the center of downtown Indy. We loved our experience and we'll definitely be back next time we come to Indy!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed January 4, 2006

I have not stayed at this specific property, but my wife and I stayed at the Looking Glass Inn in July 2005 for 1 night to attend the F1 Grand Prix in Indianapolis. This property is run by the same owners also manage two other nearby Indianapolis properties, The Villa and the Stone Soup Inn.

The Looking Glass Inn is a nice B&B in a good area close to downtown. I have no complaints about the accommodations or service we received during my stay.

In fact, we were open to the prospect of returning for another stay, but this is where our problem occurred.

We decided to again attend the F1 race in Indianapolis in July 2006. We contacted the Looking Glass Inn in December 2005 (six months in advance) and made a reservation, received a confirmation email, and had a deposit charged to our credit card. Several weeks later we received a call indicating they were canceling our reservation because they were deeming the F1 weekend a special event weekend and were now requiring a 4-night minimum stay at rates higher than they publish on their website.

We were very upset by this because we had a reservation and had paid a deposit. The owner was not very apologetic. She did offer to contact other hotels for us in the area, but ultimately did not follow up with us leaving us without a place to stay.

I would encourage strong consideration before booking with any hotel or bed and breakfast that treats returning guests this way. I will not consider staying at the Looking Glass Inn or any of their other properties again.

Stayed: July 2005
7  Thank DiverDrew
Urbana, IL
Reviewed February 27, 2005

We stayed at Stone Soup for our anniversary the weekend of August 20, 2004 and it was very relaxing to say the least. We stayed in the Northwest Loft on the third floor and we felt we were separated away from it all, which was what we wanted. It was very private with a large bath and very comfy bed perched on top of a loft which could be reached by a ladder.

I had also purchased a gift certificate for my fiance and I to dine at The Villa, which we were seriously underdressed for, but the food was fantastic. We went WAY over the amount of the gift certificate but it was worth it! My fiance had the filet with crumbled bleu cheese and I had the salmon with the best potatoes I have ever had.

We also spent some time at the Easley Winery where we had the chance to sample several wines and in the end we purchased 4 bottles!

The breakfast the next morning was quite good and the owners were friendly. I didn't hear a peep out of their child as it is mentioned in earlier posts. I felt like the owners were around when we needed them and they were out of our hair when we wanted privacy. It was perfect for us.

I think sometimes people are just too picky. This is a great B & B to try!

• Stayed: August 2004
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Virginia
Reviewed January 23, 2005

After reading the other reviews on this page I worried about my stay in Indianapolis. After all - what I had been looking for was a hotel near downtown that wasn't nearly 200 bucks a night.

What I found when I arrived was a friendly welcome, a warm and comfortable house, outgoing fellow-guests, a nice daily breakfast and an amazing alternative to the shoe-box hotel life.

Perhaps, I thought as I snuggled down under a warm down comforter on the comfortable double bed in the Stone Soup Inn's Craftsman room, the other reviewers were expecting the anonoymity of a chain hotel, not the experiences of a B and B?

Maybe, I thought the next day, as I settled in a cozy common room with my computer and finished setting up the internet connection provided by the folks there, as I started to do my evening's work - they were looking for something less personal?

Possibly, I decided as I folded the morning's newspaper and set my coffee cup in its saucer, these other reviews were just ... Wrong?

Yep - completely wrong.

I was in Indy for a working week. How sad to have gotten stuck in an expensive shoe box when instead I could end my day in the beauty of a well-restored home, in comfort. I truly felt like an appreciated guest, welcomed by my hosts.

I was encouraged on a couple of occasions (once by each person) to take advantage of the spa at the Villa (unfortunately my schedule didn't permit) and when I planned, instead, to at least indulge in a long hot bath in the (really gorgeous) shared bathroom before dinner, they made sure I had some bath salts.

All in all a dreary week of work away from home was both effective work-wise and provided me with a surprise bit of pampering. I was able to stay downtown for the price of an economy hotel near the airport. A special thank you to the proprieters for their professional care during my stay there. Everything was consistently marvelous.

If one is looking for a chain-hotel stay, don't stay in a bed and breakfast. Ever. If you travel often, however, and want to find a comfortable alternative, if you're open to a bit of whimsy and have even a touch of imagination, I heartily recommend the Stone Stone Soup Inn.

• Stayed: January 2005, traveled on business
Indianapolis, IN
Reviewed May 5, 2004

Spent one night here and would never recommend. I felt like I was on display walking through a room with all lace curtains in a downtown residential setting. I put my robe on each time I walked to the bed. The furnishings were attractive but afraid to use because they were antiques. The bed was uncomfortable and we barely slept. The place was empty the night we stayed here which should've been a red flag. Only one other couple was present on this weekend night.

My fiance bought a gift certificate (without checking with me) while staying here for $143. The management refused to allow me to substitute for anything else but the "Spa" which they actively promote. My fiance tells me that they "sold" him on the manicure, pedicure, and massage as what he needed to achieve the "total experience." I get my nails done elsewhere and am not at all interested in the other services they provide. I never even asked for a refund, just to substitute for something else.

The owners of these facilities are VERY rigid and will not budge even in the interest of customer service. I suppose I'd known this if I'd read Trip Advisor before I made the reservations.

We also listened for nearly 30 minutes while the other couple tried to rouse someone to answer the locked doors to check in. They went from window to window, door to door. We didn't let them in because this neighborhood used to be a bad one and neither of us knew what they wanted until the nexst day at breakfast. We apologized but they were upset with the owners for not being present to check them in when they told them they would be arriving.

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member