Old Northside Bed and Breakfast Inn
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
Columbia Club(Indianapolis)
View Hotel
All reviewsb bhollywood roombridal suitetiffany roombanana nut breadoff street parkingmovie collectionbreakfast was delicioushomemade snacksowner garylovely homemaking us feel comfortablebenjamin harrisonwedding nightromantic getawaymicrowave popcornanniversary stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 1, 2010

My wife and I were looking for an excellent getaway the night before we left on our honeymoon. To say the least, we were delightfully surprised. The Old North Side Inn had a "cozy" type feeling about it, something I have yet to experience elsewhere in the state. The staff was excellent and very attentive to our every need. We would HIGHLY recommend this inn for anyone staying in the area and would like a quiet and affordable place to stay.

A+

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 26, 2010

I am not inclined to write a negative review if I believe a situation was not standard and was beyond the control of the Innkeeper. But if unfortunate experiences are common, as they appear to be if one reads other reviews on this B&B, it is helpful to both potential customers and to the innkeeper to make choices based on that feedback.

My experience included: a room that was not clean with an alarm clock that did not work, and no lighting over mirror above sink so that I had to go to the window with a hand mirror to see my face. The room was hot though the staff addressed that on the fourth night.

The bed was only fairly comfortable. Towels were wonderful but lack of cleanliness even on surfaces in the room, let alone the floors and corners had me concerned about the kitchen and the food I was being served, and concerned about the hygiene of the staff preparing my food.

The silverware was not clean, fruit flies abounded around bananas and strawberries left out, while the snack area had dirty dishes and crumbs that were never cleaned before I got there and not while I was there. There was an un-flushed toilet in this snack area with door open.

Bread was left in a glass cake holder until used, no choices between white an whole wheat or grain bread. I didn't see a dishwasher in the kitchen but did see dirty brooms, mops and so forth next to the refrigerator.

No breakfast snafu 2 of 4 days. The 2 breakfast's I had were served late and in a manner (piece meal) so that my toast was cold by the time the eggs came and the coffee was not what someone would savor. Poor communication and inattention to guests by the staff caused this breakfast snafu from what I gather.

They let me use their computer because the wireless wouldn't connect in my room. No charge for this service. Great movies available and big screen available in my room. I will go back next year if the In keeper responds to my complaints--I called him on the second morning that no breakfast was served and he was very apologetic but offered not accommodation, reduced price or anything like that.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
5  Thank yaknow
Reviewed April 7, 2010

After our drive, the Inn keeper/owner Gary was present to welcome us & gave us a tour & run down how breakfast operates as you let him know what time you will partake in. He was always available for directions, recommendations, etc. He is a great historian. The Inn is conveniently located just a few minutes drive from downtown. Dining with strangers can be intimidating for some, but it ended up fine. The breakfast was phenomenal. You didn't leave hungry (negative note is there was a piece of bread with a little mold on it so we just grabbed a different piece). We stayed in the Library Wedding Suite which is secluded as it's the only room downstairs so there is some privacy. Yes, you do hear people walking above you at times, but that is part of having wood floors. It boasted a huge 2 person jacuzzi tub with plenty of room as well as a double sink and stand in shower (negative note was it smelled like old urine next the toilet so when I wiped the floor with a damp kleenex I could see some yellow on it; who knows maybe a guest missed the toilet and it's on the wall too. I couldn't bring myself to tell the inn keeper about it). The cleanliness around the rest of the bathroom was fine but that toilet area needed some attention. Otherwise, everything else seemed tidy. Finally, the butler's pantry is well stocked with soft drinks and snacks. Overall, a great experience!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank scrawlz
Reviewed January 31, 2010

Charming old-town feel with exceedingly warm hospitality and it's own off-street parking (a plus!). Gary is ready to greet you with friendly conversation, informative tidbits and history, and expert local directions...to anyplace you want to venture. Not to worry, if you get lost on the way, he always answers his phone. We stayed 2 nights in the Tiffany room, which had a double jacuzzi and wonderful decor. Boasts that each room has a private bathroom. Gary outdoes himself each morning for breakfast...and also has a nice selection of snacks for the afternoon or evening munchies.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2009

My wife and I stayed for an evening getaway/night out and had a great time. Gary was so nice in showing us around and making us feel comfortable. This was our first visit to a B&B and we were a little nervous not knowing how it would work for freedom of coming & going and eating breakfast with "strangers". It was a much more relaxing and unintimidating experience than I expected. The breakfast was wonderful!!! This will certainly not be our last visit!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple