“Needs a good cleaning”

Ranked #2 of 18 Indianapolis B&B and Inns
Buffalo
“Needs a good cleaning”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2007

We liked the location, very convenient to downtown; and the host/owner was very friendly and accommodating. But . . . I have never experienced such a lumpy mattress (we stayed in the 2nd floor room in front with literary theme), and the floor was visibly dirty, and the only light in the bathroom does not illuminate the small mirror, and the bathroom floor has rugs covering unfinished uneven spots, and pipes are exposed, and the bedroom is full of the owner's belongings. We both had a hard time getting to sleep because we were itching - perhaps this was psychological, as I noticed no bites later. We had to leave early to catch a flight, so I can't comment on the breakfast we missed.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MyraNBob

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Hebrew first
Lafayette, In.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2007

We travel around the country traveling from different bed and breakfast and inns. We have stayed in over a hundred or so and give this Old Northside house the top 3 rating of all time, especially for food. The beautiful house was just wonderful.
Our innkeeper was extremely helpful and on top of everything.
The food was terrific and we had a different meal each day of our 4 night stay. Highly recommend it.

• Liked — food
  • Disliked — no opinion
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Indiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2006

My husband and I spent our wedding night at this B & B, Feb 12th, 2005. We drove 2 hours directly from the reception to Indy. We were warmly greeting and given a brief tour.
We wanted to take a bath in the jacuzzi tub.... oops, no hot water. We could not wash up. We did not have hot water until morning! Not very romantic.
We said something to the inkeeper in the morning, however he dismissed us.
The breakfast wasn't that great, when compared to other B & B's. We had plain scrambled eggs, bacon, toast, smokie links, and something that was warmed up from a frozen box. Small proportions.
I later sent a letter to the attention of the owner of Old Northside
B & B, regarding our disappointment due to the cold water issue on our wedding night, we never received a response back.

• Disliked — no hot water
  • Stayed February 2005, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank braxton1
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2006

I was unsure about going there after reading all the reviews but let me tell you i'm glad we went.I took my girlfriend there for our one year together. I was worried when we got there because it was an old neighborhood and the house didn't look like much from the outside. When we got there Joe greeted us at the door with a freindly smile, showed us around the house and gave us background about it. It's a magnificent house. We stayed downstairs in the wedding suite and we loved it. Yes the upstairs floor creaks and yes the pipes make noise but HELLO what do you expect! However don't let that turn you away, the house was beautiful and clean(unlike stated in other reviews). Later we met Emily and she was also very nice, I can't explain nice both of them were and how much effort they made to make us comfortable. That morning we had the best breakfast I have had in a long time, there was so much great food I can't list it all but our favorite was these big waffles as big as the plates(i'm getting hungry thinking about it). When I go back and read some of the reviews its like I am reading reviews for a totally different place. Let me tell you I am a modern person but I took my girlfreind to a BB for the first time for either of us because she is an old fashioned girl and I thought she would enjoy it, well she did and so did I. It was so nice and romantic she even said "yes" when I asked her to marry me!! Thank you Emily and Joey I hope you guys read this, we have lots of memories to share forever.

• Stayed March 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
St. Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2005

Have some knick knacks! They need a yard sale to get rid of the junk. Rooms are not serviced daily. Breakfast was marginal. Wedding suite is in the basement, very creepy and the floors above creak when someone is walking around. The TV is so tiny you need binoculars to see it from the bed. I've been to a lot of B&B's and this one is one I will never return to.

• Stayed August 2005, traveled on business
3 Thank MacCurly
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2005

Upon our arrival the innkeeper greeted us with no smile or hello, only asked our name and took us to our room immediately. Our room was okay, but not $200.00 okay. The woodwork had brown water stains running from the top of the trim to the floor. In the morning we were served one cup of coffee each, one small glass of orange juice each, one small plate with two scrambled eggs 3 pieces of bacon and two McDonalds type hashbrown patties, and no toast. While we waited for the second plate of food, it finally dawned on us that we were expected to share this woefully inadequate breakfast. Upon our departure we were not thanked for staying at The Old Northside Inn, or even told to have a nice day. Needless to say, we left hungry and had to stop at another food establishment to obtain a proper breakfast. This was our worst experience staying at a B&B, and we have been visiting B&B's all over the world for more than 10 years. I would not recommend this establishment to my worst enemy.

• Stayed August 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2004

I am a huge B&B fan and was excited to go here for my birthday. But what a DISAPPOINTMENT. Although the inn was beautiful, the "hosts" were unprofessional, not friendly and served a greasy eggs, bacon breakfast every morning!! She spent most of the time smoking in the kitchen. Too bad, the place is beautiful other than water in our room on the floor every day due to a leak somewhere. Very disappointed.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
, manager at Old Northside Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, February 18, 2005
I was surprised and perplexed when my attention was directed to this complaint. Our B&B is entirely smoke free and the atmosphere is clean enough to have qualified us to be listed as preferred accomodations on a travel website for chemically sensitive individuals. We serve a traditional breakfast of bacon and eggs, sausage, hash browns and everything else you can think of, plus accomodate special diet requirements upon request. Most of our guests are health conscious, so we take pains to pat the excess grease off of the bacon and sausage before serving, and we use a non-stick pan for our eggs with no grease or oil at all. I checked our records for two months prior to this being written and only one guest from Ft. Wayne stayed in that time period, and that person is a repeat guest whom we know. Could this person have erroneously left this complaint here, intended for an inn with a similiar name? I don't know, but we have been in operation for fourteen years, and remain a popular destination for travelers to Indy. Thank you for the opportunity to reply.

Bob Price - manager