Looking Glass Inn
$179
Omni Severin Hotel(Indianapolis)
$229
  • Restaurant
All reviewsbutler's pantrywillow roombed and breakfastbreakfast was deliciousminute walkselection of dvdsquaint neighborhoodupdated bathroomraisin breadplenty of storageboiled eggswhirlpool tubthe ground floordefinitely stay here againpleasant staydowntown indyenjoyed our stay
Reviewed October 7, 2012

My husband and I stayed here to celebrate our anniversary. We really enjoyed the home and our room--the Willow Room--was beautiful, roomy, and very clean. My only complaint about the room was that there was a bit too much light coming in. Thicker drapes might help that. We stayed on the weekend and we were expecting a full breakfast. They only served a slice of quiche. It was good but not quite what we expected since the website said "full breakfast" for the weekends. The coffee tasted like Maxwell House, and we kind of expected something a bit better. Overall, we were pleased with our stay and were especially surprised by the cheese tray we received upon arriving. The young girl working throughout our stay was very nice and on top of things.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Just recently spend a night at the Looking Glass Inn and was very impressed with the responsiveness of the staff. Everyone was so kind and the rooms were lovely! If in the Indianapolis area again will most definitely book with this family! Rooms and common areas were very clean as well as being beautiful. Breakfast was okay... Take a walk to the One Eleven Cakery which is just a few blocks away. Great cupcakes and chocolate chip cookies! :O)

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 18, 2011

LOVED IT.
I was traveling on business to Indianapolis for the the FDIC conference (28,000+ firefighters were descending upon the city!) I booked flight and hotel late, and everything within a 10 mile radius of the Lukas Oil Stadium was booked. The Inn had one room left, and the owners were very accomodating for a late night arrival (weather/flight delay- arrived at 2:45 AM) They have a unique little system set up for acquiring the key and letting yourself in, which they communicated to me clearly and in advance.

The longer I travel for business, the more I believe that staying in B and Bs is the way to go. So much better than hotel chains that are boring and isolating, and way over-priced! The Looking Glass Inn is a gorgeous, perfectly preserved old Victorian Home- definitely a step back in time. I cut my hotel bill for this trip in HALF by staying here, and my meal budget too. . .I had a perfect homemade breakfast (MUCH more than I could eat) ready each morning before I had to start a grueling day of networking. The Looking Glass Inn was a $7 cab ride downtown (2-3 miles away) tucked away in a historic part of town (think sprawling Victorian homes on tree-lined streets, the Inn was quiet, the bed was soft and comfortable. The Butler's Pantry with sodas and snacks was always open, which was convenient, and there was a nice little selection of DVDs and VHS movies to "borrow" and watch on the TV/VCR combo in my room (the "Portrait Room").

HUGE plus- Ben's banana pancakes. I woke up to a wonderful breakfast every morning, but Ben promised the banana pancakes would blow me away on Sunday morning. . .if I could just make it through the week. He was right. Best pancakes I've ever had!

Other points for business travelers:
Owners were, again, VERY accomodating. I checked out Sunday morning at 11 AM and wanted to take in a local museum, but not drag my suitcase with me. They arranged a place for me to leave my suitcase until I left for the airport later that day. NOTE for business travelers: I had zero problems with the wireless internet- it was available and worked perfectly, free of charge. Also note: both owners would have printed off documents in house if I had asked them to.

Only drawback: I set out on foot one evening in search of dinner and walked towards downtown for over a mile before running into a restaurant. But- silly me- that's what cabs are for!

If I'm ever in Indy again, I feel I have friends to stay with. I'll definitely stay here again- for business OR for pleasure!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank glharrsn
Reviewed February 21, 2011

Since I always wonder what type of traveler other reviewers are, here is the type I am: I'm fairly laid back and not the type to get bent out of shape over slight annoyances. I expect to be treated with respect by staff and I expect the room/hotel to match the description given online. I try to be objective and honest in my opinions.
My husband and I were looking for a place to stay not too far from the Scottish Rite Cathedral and this inn was only a mile. The innkeeper and his girlfriend were very friendly and accommodating. The banana pancakes he made on Sunday morning were DELICIOUS! The room was beautiful as was the rest of the house. I believe he said it was built in 1905. The bed was very comfortable. My husband and I both slept like rocks. There is a "butler's pantry" with free sodas and bottled water and snack-sized chips and crackers.
A couple of downsides: 1. Only a couple of the rooms have space heaters and since the house is old, the rooms are a little drafty and chilly without them. If you get cold easily like I do, request a room with a space heater or bring your own. 2. We stayed in the Gold Room and I could not get the door unlocked or locked from the outside without my husband's help. The house has probably settled so some of the doors are a little off. 3. If you are extremely sensitive to mold like I am, stay in a more recently built hotel. Old houses tend to have mold and I was feeling the effects within a couple of hours of being there. My husband doesn't have the same sensitivity and he was fine. 4. The walls are very thin so if you are a light sleeper, I don't recommend this hotel. We played music on my husband's phone all night and we were fine though.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AthleteOfGod
Reviewed August 15, 2010

Could not ask for a better time. The inn is really nice. Very clean and the inn keepers were very nice.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple