Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis - Southeast
Ranked #61 of 178 Hotels in Indianapolis
Hudsonville, Michigan, United States
“Great Room”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

Beautiful room with two King beds. The staff was very friendly. My only complaint was the extremely slow WiFi. The breakfast buffet was what you expect at a Holiday Inn Express, but even with a fairly busy morning, the breakfast selection was kept full and warm. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
HolidayInnExpressGSM, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis - Southeast, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
We are happy you enjoyed your visit at the Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis Southeast. Being the only hotel in the U. S. with two king beds and 42" TVs in everyroom we can offer spacious accomodations and the comforts of home. Thank you for your feedback and we hope to see you on your future travels to Indianapolis.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

I arrived in a saturday afternoon for a one night stay meeting up with friends. We had 6 children between us ages 4-12. The young lady at the front desk was polite, friendly and very helpful. The hotel is beautiful and CLEAN! I actually enjoyed the way the sheets smelled - HOTEL SHEETS! The pool area was clean and the pool was fantastic. The kids swam for hours and and had an absolute blast. There were several other families in the pool but there was plenty of room in th pool and in the seating area for parents. The hotel is very close to several food options and activities. The beds are HUGE and there was free breakfast. Inianapolis is the mid point between my friend's and my home and we meet up frequently with our famillies. I don't think we will stay anywhere else after this experience. I am very pleased with all aspects of this location.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
HolidayInnExpressGSM, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis - Southeast, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Lori H,

Thank you for your kind words regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis Southeast. As the only hotel in the US with two king beds and 42 inch TVs in every room we can be a great option for families. We are happy you enjoyed our swimming pool and Smart Start Breakfast. We hope you will again select the Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis Southeast when your travels bring you our way.
Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

Arrived on a bus with 30 youth and 10 adults for one night. The mgr insisted on holding up the line because of supposed prolems w/ my CC. (never had problems before). After checking in, many of us went to swim in the pool. Had to ask the Mgr to turn the lights on. Same with the Great room. Wouldnt turn on the lights until asked. Not very welcoming. The temp in the exersize room was 75 and the thermostat was locked. Called the front desk, Said they would 'see what they could do" nothing done. Our group had to leave at 7:15 Sat am. Our leader asked several times if they would open the breakfast before 7. Absolutely not. A little disapointed with the customer service attitude.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mark S
HolidayInnExpressGSM, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis - Southeast, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Thank you for your response. We are always open to ways that we can improve our product. I want to thank you and your group for selecting the Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis Southeast. As the only hotel in the US with two king size beds and 42" TV in every room we feel we are a good fit for groups like yours. With more than 25 rooms and over 75 people in your group all arriving at once by bus to our lobby I was happy to greet you. As the Director of Sales, this is a beautiful sight. I apologize if you were made to feel uncomfortable at check in, the card you presented did not have your name on it. But as the person who checked you in I know it could not have been more than 10 to 15 seconds of your time.

It is April in Indianapolis and the weather is constantly changing. The owners of the hotel have designed both our Great Room and Pool area with a wall that is nothing but windows. On a bright sunshine day it is easy to forget to turn on the lights. Our pool lights are to be on from 10:00 am to closing. When I got the request to adjust the temperature in the exercise room I personally went directly to the room and it was vacant. The temperature was 75 degrees with the heat turned on and set to 72. I converted the system to air conditioning and left the setting at 72. I personally thought it was comfortable. It is April 19th today and it snowed at 1:30pm so it is a challenge to keep all systems at the ultimate settings.

With a group of this size, we enter into agreements that spell out what is expected and what is offered and come to an agreement. Your group agreed to having our Smart Start Breakfast starting at 7:00am. We are pleased that we were able to feed your entire group at that time and still have you make it to your event. We hope that you will entrust us in the future with your group and as such we can arrange to have breakfast served at the time you designate. Please call on me if you have any additional needs or requests.
Marietta, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

I arrived mid afternoon for a 10 hour stay I was greeted by a freindly and helpul young lady...descent sized parking lot easy to get a semi into,ask for top floor that was not a problem, this is a fairly new facility...room was great ,standard HI Express..super clean comfy, great water pressure and hot water...nothing could have been better and the price was really great! this is where you will find me on my next stay when Im in the area..

Room Tip: top floor nice and quiet, great for a day sleeper..
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank teamster175
HolidayInnExpressGSM, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis - Southeast, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Teamster 175,

Thank you for your recent review and your support of the Holiday Inn Express Southeast. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and we will forward your kind remarks to management. We hope the next time through you will select the Holiday Inn Express Southeast.
east liberty, oh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

We stayed here 2 nights with our 4 boys. It was awesome to find a place that could accommodate 6 people, have an indoor pool, offer free breakfast, and not cost a fortune. Everything was clean and the beds were comfortable. The breakfast offered a large variety of choices. The manager was incredibly professional and courteous. We will definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
HolidayInnExpressGSM, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis - Southeast, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Dear Sarah W.

Thank you for your kind words related to your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis Southeast. We are the only hotel in the world with two king sized beds and 42" TV's in every room. Our rooms are 150 square feet larger than other Holiday Inn Expresses. We are glad you enjoyed our "Smart Start Breakfast". We hope when you travel you will include the Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis Southeast in your plans.
Evanston, IL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

On February 14th, I traveled to Indianapolis, IN on business. My team was staying at this hotel, and I was the first to arrive. I asked if there was a room under my name. Nope. I inquired about whether a block of rooms had been reserved and mentioned a few names. No luck. It occurred to me that perhaps I was just to pay for my own room and simply be reimbursed. No big deal. Happens all the time.

Flash forward to the rest of the crew checking in after dinner later that evening. I had dined with them and we all ended up at the front desk together. It turns out that nine rooms had been booked after all. Our fearless leader asked if he could take over billing for the room I had already charged to my card. "No," they said. Understandable and no big deal. I'd just proceed as usual and put the charge on my invoice and get reimbursed by the company. That's fine.

HOWEVER, they would not remove the now extraneous room that had previously been booked. Nine people were staying in nine rooms, but, due to arcane rules and penalties, a tenth room would be charged. A tenth room that no one would enter. "It is too late to cancel that. There's nothing we can do."

What happened to customer service? Is this really the first time such a situation has occurred in the history of the hotel industry? Why are you making us regret selecting Holiday Inn Express? I called IHG guest relations to explain this saga several times over, and, while the first few agents were understanding and compassionate, IHG corporate ultimately sided with the management of the Holiday Inn Express who apparently never met a short-term penny they didn't like.

Please note that the parking lot was not full and the staff admitted that the property was not sold out. If the SuperBowl were in town or a huge convention were happening, I'd totally understand, but this was not the case.

"There's nothing we can do." From the desk clerks to the manager, the mantra-line incantation is repeated: "There's nothing we can do."

And while we're on the topic, the manger is petty and unpleasant. Ultimately, IHG is petty and unpleasant. Avoid this and other hotels in the IHG family (Crowne Plaza, any Holiday Inn, Hotel Intercontinental, Staybridge Suites, Candlewood Suites, etc.)

My plea is simple: Select another hotel chain that can AND will do something reasonable in the event of a truly silly misunderstanding. "There's nothing we can do" is not an acceptable response.

Pat

P.S. I'm looking forward to the manager's response below. He'll cite policy, what we did wrong, etc., but guess what, we came to sleep, not get inundated with technical fouls. You are in the service industry, sir. Make people happy. Honest "mistakes" happen. Adjust. Your policy does not engender satisfaction on the part of your customers. It's a money grab, and I'm left with a very sour taste in my mouth -- as are the other 8 gentlemen who watched this all go down.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
14 Thank Patrick T
HolidayInnExpressGSM, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis - Southeast, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Patrick T,

I want to thank you for your review of the Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis Southeast.

When a person makes a reservation, they are responsible for informing their counterparts of reservations made under their name. This has happened before, and the resulting charges were also not waived. There are reasons why both IHG and our hotel has in place the policies and procedures that we do. As a Priority Club member, since you did mention that in your conversation with IHG, you do realize that the cancellation deadline for most days is 6:00PM on the day of arrival. This was no different than on arrival day. We had you arriving at approximately 5:20PM. After you had dined with the rest of your team, your group came back to our hotel. It was now approximately 11:15PM, well after the cancellation deadline. At this time, you informed us that you were part of this group, and asked to cancel one of the reservations. As it was 5 hours, 15 minutes past the cancellation deadline, this request was denied. My Assistant Guest Service Manager also states that there was no complaint prior to her leaving, and that she left at 1:30AM. She stated that you were checked into the hotel without a reservation. The person who made the reservation asked if they could cancel the reservation, and was ok with not being able to cancel. Further, he even offered to refund your money back to you.

As you have been given a check for the full amount of the stay, we are asking that you cease and desist any further derogatory comments.
Madison AL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

First of all, anyone who has ever read my reviews know that most of my reviews are VERY positive. However, my experience with the owner/GM of this hotel left a sour taste in my mouth and they will never have to worry about a review from me after this because we will not be back.

A couple of months ago, I found this hotel on Trip Advisor while looking to book a hotel for a cheerleading competition. After booking the hotel, I called several other families that also decided to book there on my recommendation. The day before our arrival, I received a call from Kevin saying that they had attempted to authorize my debit card for the FULL amount of the stay PLUS $25 per DAY incidental charge and my card had been declined. I explained to him that I was unaware that any authorizations would be placed on my debit card before I even arrived and that a deposit would be made at midnight that night (my check) and didn't intend on transferring money for the full stay to be authorized given the circumstances. I was promptly told that this was "hotel policy" (which is posted no where on their website) and that I could either give them another card or my reservation would be cancelled. I asked to speak with the manager, who I later find out is an owner of some sort.....Manu Joshi. He was unavailable so I left a VM. Within 30 minutes I received a call back from Mr Joshi who explained to me how it was their policiy because people will make 15-30 night reservations and that they authorize the whole stay up front in order to keep from losing revenue. I explained politely that their policy was 1) not available to anyone via their website and 2) I was only staying for 3 nights and their cancellation policy was until 6 pm local hotel time. If they authorized 1 nights stay (for which funds WERE available on my card without me making transfers or deposits) then if I didn't show up, they were covered for the one night I would be liable for, and , per THEIR policy, the remainder of the reservation would be cancelled after I didn't show up. Mr Joshi's response was that I had until 4:00p.m. that day to give them another form of payment or my reservation would be cancelled and that if I couldn't afford to stay in the hotel, then he suggests I go somewhere else. I was FLOORED. I have NEVER EVER had someone speak to me in that manner. This man has no IDEA what I can or can't afford. I do not keep large amounts of cash in my checking account and typically transfer what I need into the account when it's needed. (Anyone that has ever had a check or debit card stolen would understand this) It just so happened my paycheck was actually being deposited so I saw no need to transfer money over just so the hotel could put some bogus amount on hold. $25 a day INCIDENTALS???? In a hotel that has NO restaurant, nothing.......What in the world were we going to charge?

I wanted to cancel the reservation right then, but since all of our children's friends were staying at the hotel, and knowing that I was the one that led everyone TO the hotel......I hated to move. I did find out later that day, after the phone calls back and forth that several other families were spoken to the same way. This man has no CLUE what customer service is and Intercontinental Hotels should be embarrassed that one of their Hotel chain names in on this hotel. When I called back to the hotel after transferring additional funds into the account, I spoke with Kevin. I told him that the funds were available and he could run the card but I wasn't happy at all about being spoken to the way Joshi had spoken to me, repeating to him what was said. He seemed genuinely surprised and apologetic regarding the inappropriate remarks.

After arriving at the hotel and checking in on Friday, Jan 18, my husband mentioned to the desk clerk that he felt the GM owed me an apology for speaking to me that way. Within 10 minutes of being in our room, our phone rang and Mr Joshi asked what we needed to speak to him about. I took the phone and explained that my husband and I both felt that an apology was in order regarding his earlier remarks to me regarding what we could or couldn't afford. Mr Joshi told me he was going to have to "respectfully disagree"....that he didn't owe me or anyone else an apology and stood by what he said. When I went to speak, he said "you have a nice day "....and completely dismissed me.

For a hotel that apparently this manager/owner felt I couldn't afford, it was average at best. The king beds in the room were a big draw to me at first, but they didn't outweigh the stained furniture, paper thin walls where one could hear the next door neighbor's conversation, or the complete arrogance of Joshi. It was fairly clean although the hair I saw in the bathroom on the shower wall before my luggage was even all in the room was definitely not my color.

We attempted to take our kids to the indoor pool one evening but only lasted about 45 minutes because the chlorine in the air was so strong, our eyes were stinging and watering. The kids even complained (and kids never notice that kind of stuff) that the chlorine was just to much.

We also had to park on the side of the hotel twice because of late night arrivals after competition but were forced to walk around to the front doors in 10 degree weather because the side entrance keycard swipe wasn't in working order per the sign on the door.

Needless to say, we were beyond disappointed with the whole experience. Somewhere down the line, this Mgr has lost all sense of customer service. To be treated as though I was unable to afford this hotel was beyond insulting to me and my family.....even worse, if I HAD needed to wait until Friday a.m. for the authorization to be placed on my card, I obviously would have been treated with complete disrespect and disdain because of it. This man couldn't even agree that the policy SHOULD be on the hotel website so that consumers can make an informed decision as to whether they want to book that hotel with their policies. I am not able to recommend this hotel to anyone based on my experience here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
34 Thank DJL930004
KevinGSM, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis - Southeast, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear DJL930004,

I want to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, the Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis Southeast.

While we do accept debit cards due to their agreement with either MasterCard, Visa, or American Express and our agreement to accept these cards, we do not recommend doing so. This is because in the financial industry, debit cards actually take 3-5 times longer to release authorizations than credit cards. For this reason, we suggest that a credit card be used to secure the reservation. As most Holiday Inn Express locations are independently owned, the corporate office has a generic page for each location, and each location's page will look nearly identical. The only way to determine a hotel's policy that you are traveling to is to call that hotel itself. Even the central reservation office does not have all the policies concerning the operations of the hotel, as they are not part of the ownership group. For them to be able to provide every policy that each hotel has would simply be too great a task not only for collecting the information, but also storage and displaying this, as there are approximately 5,000 hotels under the Holiday Inn Express family of hotels. You will notice that none of the other Holiday Inn Expresses have this information on their page either, for the same reasons as we do not have it on ours.

When a person makes a reservation at the Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis Southeast, they give their credit card to guarantee the reservation. Prior to the guest's arrival, per our internal policy, which can change periodically, we do authorize the credit card on file for the entire stay. We do this so that we can verify that there are sufficient funds available. Upon checkout, any unused portion of this authorization is then released back to the cardholder. Incidentals are anything that is charged to the guest room, not including the room charges. For instance, the most common incidentals here are long distance phone calls and laundry. Without a valid credit card, a reservation is subject to cancellation.

I know that you have spoken with Zdenka Pulliam, Assistant Guest Services Manager. Ms. Pulliam informed you that she is one of the Managers here at the Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis Southeast. When speaking with her, Ms. Pulliam told you that the policy of the Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis Southeast is to authorize credit cards prior to the guest's arrival, and that phone calls are made to those guests whose credit card declined. This is done to ensure that there are funds available for the entire stay.

After you spoke with Ms. Pulliam, you then spoke with George Reed, Director of Sales. Mr. Reed reiterated that all guests have their cards authorized prior to arrival to ensure that the cards are valid. Next, you spoke with me, Kevin Smrz, Guest Service Manager. We all have said that it is our policy to attempt an authorization prior to the guest arriving at the Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis Southeast. If a guest's credit card is approved, then no further action is taken by the staff. However, if a guest's credit card declines, then, out of courtesy, we do call the guest so that they can provide a credit card that will be authorized prior to arrival. You then contacted the corporate office of Holiday Inn Express. After reviewing both side's comments, the corporate office found in favor of the Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis Southeast, as we were following our internal policies set forth by the corporation that owns the Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis Southeast.

Finally, you spoke with our General Manager, Manu Joshi. Mr. Joshi attempted to explain our policies to you, and I was standing next to him throughout your conversation, and I was able to listen to both sides of the conversation. I was surprised to hear you say that you would get what you wanted or that you would go online to post fake reviews. We believe this to be extortion and when a person makes demands in this fashion, we do not take kindly to those demands. Even more surprising was the threats that were directed toward Mr. Joshi and against the hotel from your party. Therefore, we are asking that you stop harassing the staff of and the Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis Southeast.

During your stay, I noticed that you claimed that the chlorine in the pool area was so strong. This is the first that I have heard of this, as we had no other complaints over the weekend. I would think that something such as this would have been brought to my attention. On a daily basis, we do check our chemical balance three times a day. This includes ensuring that the pH, chlorine, and alkalinity are all within the proper range as prescribed by the Marion County Health Board, as well as recording the water temperature at the same time. This water is tested on a weekly basis by an outside lab and monthly by the county Health Board. The results of these tests are on file here at the hotel.

Before each room is deemed ready to rent and after Housekeeping has cleaned the room, our Executive Housekeeper, who has been with the company that owns the hotel for 9 years at this hotel and others, inspects each room. She goes through each room and visually inspects it, and should the room pass her inspection, it is then turned over to Front Desk as a room that is ready to rent. Between me and Ms. Pulliam, we were at the Front Desk for 18 hours per day and neither one of had a complaint from you in regards to this.

Again, thank you for reviewing our hotel. I do hope that in the future, you will give the Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis Southeast a chance to redeem itself in your eyes.

Kevin J Smrz