“Poorly Run Hotel”

Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis - Southeast
Ranked #64 of 185 Hotels in Indianapolis
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I check out tomorrow, so I will have spent 5 nights at this hotel and have very little that is good to say about the place. When I checked into my room, I noticed that the door knob was loose. It took 2 requests before the hotel made the repair.

House keeping never once made a complete effort to clean the room each day. Today, for what ever reason, house keeping completely over looked cleaning my room. The front desk clerk offered more towels to compensate for the house keeping ommission.

The breakfast is free, but don't expect too much from the over cooked omelets, bacon and weak coffee.

While it is not the fault of the hotel, other than fast food joints, there are few places to eat dinner around the hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room on the south end of this hotel. The north end abuts I-465 so you get all the traffic noi...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Riverstone4
KevinGSM, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis - Southeast, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

Dear Riverstone4,

I want to thank you for your review of our hotel, the Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis Southeast. When a person has a specific request, we do our duty to honor that request. Throughout your stay, you had informed our Front Desk that you only wanted towel service. One day, we even saw that your Do Not Disturb sign was on the door.

Our breakfast consists of hard-boiled eggs, yogurt, pancakes, cinnamon rolls, a rotation of the following five hot items: scrambled eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy, bacon and omelets, as well as bagels, pastries, cereals, orange and apple juice, and coffee.

Within 3 miles of the Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis Southeast, there are at least 20 different locations, and about half of these are your sit down franchised restaurants such as Bob Evans, O'Charleys and Texas Roadhouse.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

We spent two nights at this Holiday Inn Express and were very happy with everything! Our room was everything we could hope for at a great price. It was clean, the furnishings were newer and everything was just in great shape. We had a nice TV (so we could watch the Olympics...go USA!) and had no problems connecting to the internet. The breakfast was a bit better than the typical continental breakfast you would normally expect--scrambled eggs, bacon, biscuits and gravy were added to the usual fare. The desk people were the typically friendly people, the housekeepers greeted us....What else can I say? We had a great experience here and we would definitely stay here again. It's also close to the I-465, which makes it quite useful in travel around Indianapolis. By the way, we didn't have the problem of another reviewer who had extra charges on their card. We did originally book through hotels.com and didn't incur any extra charges while here. Maybe that's the way to go, or possibly that one person just had a bad experience. It does happen once in awhile. I wouldn't let one negative review stop you from staying here, though. Our stay was great!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
KevinGSM, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis - Southeast, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2012

Dear patty49er,

I want to thank you for the time that you spent to review the Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis Southeast! I appreciate the comments you have left for us! I would like to let you know that our hot items, which you have mentioned 3 of, does rotate on a daily basis. The other two hot items that we feature are sausage and cheese omelets. As you have mentioned staff members, I will make sure that your review is posted in our employee lounge. When you are travelling through Indianapolis the next time you travel, do not hesitate to give the Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis Southeast a call to book your room!

Reviewed July 28, 2012

Never even made it to the hotel, with such a horrible experience before even arriving at the hotel, we cancelled and booked at another hotel in the area, that ended up being much nicer and more accomodating that this place. Whatever you do be prepared for your entire stay plus $50 to be authorized on your credit card or bank card 24 hours before arrival. I dont have any credit cards, so I had no choice but to book using a bank card, only to get a notification from my bank that my account had been overdrawn by $200 some dollars, and that the hotel had authorized almost $400 onto my account and we hadnt even left home yet. After what seemed like hours between the bank and the rude staff at the hotel I finally had to borrow someone elses credit card to get my money back into the bank. The hotel is in violation of the FTC law, they must notify a customer of any prior authorizations and or charges, which they tell you no where on the reservations or confirmations anywhere. Nor do they tell you that even if you arent with an official group, if there is something happening in town that weekend, you are suddenly apart of that group. After I got my money back into my bank account, we cancelled our rooms and took our business elsewhere, also after reading some of the other reviews on here I am so thankful we didnt stay there, who knows what else they would have charged us for or would have happened to our belongings. Be prepared to fork over the money for your stay before you even check in!!! And dear manager that replies to all reviews, don't even bother with mine, because my complaint has already made up the corporate ladder in all aspects of your faulty authorization!
Stayers Beware and read all reviews before booking at this place!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank LowAC
KevinGSM, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis - Southeast, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2012

Dear LowAC,

I want to thank you for the time that you took to review the Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis Southeast. The length of your review shows that you spent time thinking about your stay. On a daily basis, we authorize the day's arrivals for the full amount of the stay, plus $25.00 per night for incidentals. During the phone conversations, you spoke with the Associate Guest Service Manager, the Assistant Guest Service Manager, the Guest Service Manager, the Director of Sales, and the General Manager. All Managers explained that the pending charge you saw on your bank statement was an authorization, that nothing had been charged. After this, as you stated yourself, you then went to our Guest Relations Department, who found in favor of the Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis Southeast, as we authorized, not charged the card on the reservation.

Reviewed July 14, 2012

This was a typical Holiday Inn Express hotel. It offered clean, comfortable, accommodations, and a helpful staff. We especially liked the two-king sized beds in the room. Indoor pool and jacuzzi was a nice offering. The breakfast area was clean and served a good selection of food: cinnamon rolls, sausage, scrambles eggs, along with the typical continental breakfast of cereal, yogurt, and rolls. There is nothing extraordinary about the hotel, however, if one is looking for clean, safe, and comfortable accommodations with free breakfast and a pool, then this is the place to stay. We stayed for a night and it was great for our needs. I would certainly stay here again. However, I felt the price was a little high for the area.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Amerasiangirl
KevinGSM, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis - Southeast, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2012

Dear Amerasiangirl,

I want to thank you for the time that you took to review the Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis Southeast. I can see that you have been well traveled! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us. In addition to the two king size beds in the room, all of our rooms also come with a 42 inch, 1080p LCD television, refrigerator, microwave, and an in-room safe. We also have various breakfast items, which rotate based on the day: scrambled eggs, cheese omelets, sausage, bacon, and biscuits and gravy. I do hope that the next time your travels take you through Indianapolis, that the Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis Southeast will be your first call so we can make your reservations!

Reviewed June 27, 2012

My wife and I frequently stop at many of the "new" Holiday Inn Expresses throughout the country and we have rarely been disappointed. That certainly was true when we spent two nights at the HIE Southeast In Indianapolis recently. Conveniently located just off the I-465 beltway that circles that city and only a mile or two from both the I-65 or the I-74 freeways, the Inn is immaculately clean, its rooms unusually large (every room contains two king-sized and quite comfortable beds), and its bathrooms well-designed. All the front-desk personnel were outgoing, efficient and very friendly. For travelers needing to find a location to stop in the Indianapolis area, especially in the south sections of the city, the HIE Southeast is well worth considering.

There is probably no such thing as a "typical" or "average" Holiday Inn Express despite many seemingly outward physical similarities across the USA. Some are, however, better than others thanks to any number of intangibles; some are not. The HIE Southeast falls closer to the latter than the former. There are lots of "problems" that cause such a generalization. Each morning's breakfast, for instance, is, at best mediocre in light of today's expectations. Scrambled eggs, a few sausages (but no bacon), biscuits with, occasionally, sausage gravy, a few cold muffins or plain bagels, several cold cereals, and a few other low-end items such as Walmart's Great Value tea, the only available choice. The only fresh fruit when we visited the inn were several overly ripe bananas. Add to that the fact that the breakfast room is located on the east side of the motel so that each morning many of the tables are so heavily bathed in sunlight that they are impossible to be used (unless one wants to be uncomfortable through the entire meal). Though there are several small restaurants located nearby, anyone looking for a wide variety of eating possibilities needs to drive to nearby Greenwood more than five to six miles away, a clearly inconvenient nuisance. Shopping in the immediate area means either Walmart or, farther down the street, a Big K-Mart. Anyone wanting more also will need to go to Greenwood.

There are many other small, but quite irritating detractions at the HIE. No matter how hard we tried to be considerate of several sleeping neighbors, our door squeaked so loudly when we opened or closed it that we had the feeling we had been transported back to the old Inner Sanctum radio show. Though the housekeeping staff did a very nice job cleaning and freshing-up our room, they failed on both days that we were staying with them to replace a burned out light bulb which we reported almost immediately after checking in and then again the following day. For some reason, the elevators have heaters in them which seem to come on automatically even when the temperature outside is in the high 90s. Though the bedrooms, as noted above, are large, if not truly spacious, there is barely room to put only one piece of luggage (unless one wishes to sweep everything off the desk and use it as a second luggage rack). And, even though it is, I suppose, a matter of personal choice, the inn has chosen to employ the same "weird" design of wallpaper virtually everywhere -- in all the hallways, in the front lobby, in the breakfast room, and elsewhere. It is a design that few could love.

Room rates are fair (though the nearby equally large LaQuinta Inn was, on average, more than $15 cheaper per night). Whether the HIE is worth the added difference is a matter each person will have to decide for him- or herself. Still, despite all the "things" noted above, we were in no way sorry we chose the inn when we were in Indianapolis. The HIE Southeast is a solid 3-star, maybe even three-and-a-half star place to stay. It offers a comfortable, restful night to sleep and, though there are drawbacks, many travelers will be as glad as we were if they decide to stop.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank BigP
Management response:Responded June 29, 2012

Dear BigP,

I want to thank you for the time that you spent to review the Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis Southeast. Just reading your review shows that you put a lot of thought into it! I noticed that you stated that all of our rooms have two king beds. Not only is this true, but also, all of the rooms do come with a refrigerator, microwave and an in-room safe. In the general area, we have mainly fast food restaurants, for example, McDonalds, Fazolis, Arby's, Hardees, and Rally's. Just two miles south of us on Southport Road is where our guests can find different sit-down chain restaurants, such as O'Charley's, Texas Roadhouse, Longhorn Steakhouse, Bob Evans, and Cracker Barrel. On the same road that we are on is a wonderful Japanese steakhouse, Fujiyama. We do have a variety of breakfast options, and these rotate based on the day of the week. I do hope the next time you are in Indianapolis, the Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis Southeast is your hotel of choice!

Reviewed June 21, 2012

This is not a new hotel but an updated one. But from what I saw it still looked in good shape and well kept. The staffs from the front desk to the morning breakfast were really helpful. Booked just a 1 night stay online and when I checked my credit card account later I saw the room cost plus that $25 charge so many reviewers talked about. That charge was the first time I have ever seen over several years of traveling. I have seen resort fees and dog deposits but never a misc. fee that is not charged unless the hotel feels you have caused some type problem in your room. Within three day after the stay the only the room charge and tax remained. I agree that the hotel needs to tell the guest at check in about the charge. If it was on the registration form then it should be pointed out to the guest at that time. The online site only quotes the room rate and tax. I liked the two king beds. Our 37 year old son comes with us and the bed was better than a sleeper sofa. And the room was very large. This was basically a 1 night sleep stay so we did not get a chance to use the pool or hot tub. Breakfast was great and followed the high standards for Holiday Inn Express. The hotel in general looked well maintained and all staff members I met were polite. I have added this location on my stay list.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded June 24, 2012

Dear RetiredTravelerOhio,

We opened for business a little over 3 years ago. When you check in, we authorize the card presented for $25.00 for incidentals, plus the cost of the room and tax. Any unused portion of this is then released back to you upon checkout. You stated that you liked the two king beds in your room. In addition to the two king beds, all of our rooms do come with a 42 inch television, microwave, refrigerator, and an in-room safe. I see that you have added the Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis Southeast to your stay list, and I do hope that when you are in Indianapolis next, that you do decide to stay at our hotel.

Reviewed June 20, 2012

We had a wonderful experience at this property. The room was clean, large, with contemporary decorated styling. The beds were extremely comfortable and provided a refreshing sleep. The pool and hot tub were relaxing. Breakfast was delicious with a variety of choices. Don at the front desk was very friendly and professional.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple