“Great new place right off Mass Ave.”
Review of Union 50

Union 50
Reserve with OpenTable
Union 50 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 2,453 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: Gastropub
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Union 50 has done it right..... restaurant (the Grand Board and the french fires are outstanding and not to be missed), bar (a huge two story back lit bar with top shelf drinks and wine on tap!), club (the lounge area is comfortable and communal for conversation) and the patio (outdoor dining this summer has never been better), all are right on. Union 50 has brought the feel of a Chicago or New York venue to town. THANK YOU!

Reviewed July 30, 2014 via mobile

The newest in the Bru restaurants, Union 50 is the closest to a dining experience rather than just a meal. Some do not like to do this, but ask you waiter for advice. Top picks were the stuffed dates, sticky wings (with an awesome seaweed salad), ribeye cap. Duck shortrib (could have been a little crispier). The truffle fries with a garlic dipping sauce had us fighting over the last crumbs. A terrific atmosphere had a room of energetic enjoyment. I will be back

Reviewed July 27, 2014

Wow! What a place. Am I in Indianapolis?. Beautiful decor, lots of space, with a fantastic looking, to-the-ceiling bar, also a lounge area with comfy furniture and what looks like a private room for groups. There is a great outdoor area with, I think, fire pits. My friend and I sat at the outside bar table that abuts the sidewalk. A great place to people watch. I had the baby kale salad and hand cut fries. Both were great. You can choose how the fries are prepared and also choose two sauces. My friend had the wood fired wild mushrooms and the seared duck shortrib and pronounced them terrific. This will be the go-to place. The Cunningham Group does it again. Update-07.27.14-Went again two days after first visit and sat at a high top in the bar area of the main room. The service was impeccable Our server, Jane, was the 'server from heaven.' My wife and I had a cheese board. Plenty of cheese, for a reasonable price at $12. My wife had the special, a grilled salmon dish, $32, which she rated a 10! I had the vegetarian version of the roasted half chicken, sans chicken, replaced with wild mushrooms. Very rich and tasty except I don't like the rubbery texture of the shitakes. One complaint is that there are some games at the east end of the main room, I'm sure to attract young men. The problem is that they generate whoops and hollers that sort of disturb the dining atmosphere. Strange they were not placed in a separate room. They also cut down on available dining space and just don't fit the ambiance of the main room. There is a parking lot too, and they take dining reservations. Love it!

Reviewed July 22, 2014

I went to Union 50 for a special event and it made me really want to come back to try the rest of the items on the menu. I had no idea what "gastropub" meant, but once I experienced Union 50, I have a great idea, and I think they pulled it off, perfectly. I was intrigued by the diversity of the menu, and the food I had was wonderful. The decor is super cool, quite open, industrial without the coldness typically associated with such environs, and very interesting to the eyes. The service was excellent, even though they were quite busy. It was brand new, so everyone was still figuring things out, but my server, Kathleen, was super. I haven't been there during the times they have live music, and that really won't be the reason I will go back, anyway. I think Union 50 is attractive to a variety of people; those who want a good meal in a unique place, and those who are more into the late night scene who want to relax with some cocktails and music. Whatever you are looking for, I would suggest checking out Union 50.

1  Thank KarlZIII
Reviewed July 9, 2014

We ate here the third day they were open. Overall, it was a study in contrasts.

First, the positives: The indoor space is gorgeous. The outdoor seating is lovely too. The bar is well laid out with some seating, but if there is also a very civilized, Architectural Digest-worthy lounge area where you can sit and wait for your table with a drink. They have a great cocktail menu and the wine list was well-priced, both by the bottle and the glass. The service was terrific, especially given that it was only their third day. Everyone we encountered - the hostess, the bartenders, the servers in the lounge area and our waitress - were friendly, polished, and very competent, even though the place was hopping on the first night of the Fourth of July weekend. This is a great place to see live music, and the performer on stage that night was excellent. An upscale live music venue like this is a welcome addition to downtown Indy.

The only negative - and the reason for the cheeky title of this review - is that the food doesn't live up to the rest of the experience. If this were a bar and/or concert venue first, and a restaurant second, that would be okay. After all, who among us hasn't eaten something grody in the interest of some good tunes? (Klipsch Music Center, I am totally looking at you right now.) But Union 50 is touting itself as restaurant first - a restaurant where they just happen to play music. In fact, the Union 50 website describes it as a "chef-driven gastropub." (I know. We laughed too. But I'm starting to think "gastropub" is synonymous with "pretentious.") Unfortunately, despite everything else that is cool about Union 50, the chef's driving leaves something to be desired.

First off, the menu is totally unwieldy. It features three catagories of "small plates" - but the smallness of the plates varies by category. The largest of these "small plates" are priced like entrees ($20-30), but they are not complete meals. To round them out, you have to order other small plates from (you guessed it) the slightly smaller plate catagories. Confused yet? We were too. Our waitress tried her best to explain it to us, but we were still flummoxed, and so some of us ordered too much food, others not enough. Despite this, none of us felt like we'd had a complete meal when it was over. No one was satisified, and for the money, we should not have been debating a Steak-N-Shake chaser on the way home.

Second, although the menu looked interesting and potentially delicious (think Late Harvest or Bluebeard), the food was neither. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good, either. Nothing really sparkled. The chef's choice cheese and charcuterie plate was nothing to write home about.
Every other dish felt unfinished. There were no interesting sauces to pull the ingredients together. The risotto balls with pulled duck centers and cheese should have been amazing, but they were flat and bland (not to mention totally lacking in color or plate presentation) without a sauce to contrast the richness of the cheese and duck. The duck trio also sounded delicious, but tasted like plain pulled pork because again - no real sauce and thus no real flavor. The roasted beets and mushrooms were okay, but they were crying out for a vinagrette or something to pull it all together. Because so many of the dishes share the same ingredients, that lack of finish resulted in several dishes that pretty much tasted the same. (Yo quiero Taco Bell!) All of it was more disappointing because the descriptions of the food were mouth watering.

The cognitive dissonance between the food and the rest of our experience makes this place hard to rate. I will definitely give it another chance, because it has so much going for it. But it's got some serious ground to cover in the food department if it wants to compete with the likes of Bluebeard and Black Market in the Mass Ave corridor of Indy.

1  Thank SarahM1971