“Excellent Seafood”

OR
Get food delivered
Ranked #2 of 148 Quick Bites in Indianapolis
Cuisines: Seafood
Description: We are a family friendly atmosphere. Limited seating, outdoor seating weather permitting. Very affordable fish and seafood fare. From sandwiches to po/boys,homemade sides,sauces and desserts. Fresh baked buns and rolls for every sandwich. Voted #1 Restaurant in The State of Indiana three different times. Come see what everyone is talking about. Caplinger's Fresh Catch open Tuesday-Saturday. We also have a full, gourmet Fish Market with fresh fish being delivered daily. Call for special orders
Reviewed July 21, 2018

We went to the restaurant for dinner on a Tuesday and it was very busy, but the wait for the food was worth it. They have seafood for everyone's taste. The side dishes are very good, too. We had the fried catfish, fried shrimp and fries. My wife enjoyed the fried okra. The staff was very friendly and did not rush us out of the restaurant even though the store had closed and we were still eating. Endless fountain drinks. Parking no problem.

Date of visit: July 2018
Write a reviewReviews (331)

Reviewed July 12, 2018

I'm between two opinions on this one. First, the fish was great and sides had good flavor. The fish market aspect was great and I wouldn't mind trying the scallops. They looked wonderful. And the guys serving were very kind and careful.
The other thought was that the sides that came with our combo were very small... about four or five spoonfuls. And the clam chowda only had two pieces of clams in it.
Would I go again - absolutely. But I would order now with some knowledge of what not to get.

1  Thank Steve B
Reviewed July 9, 2018 via mobile

This place gets really crowded at lunch time and there is very limited and cramped parking. Thats about the only negative thing. They offer to go, but you still have to find parking and walk in to get your food. The other busy day is Friday nights.
The staff is friendly. Service is a little slow but only because the food is made to order. The seafood is fresh. I had oysters, very good. It also doesnt have a lot of seating but the food is so good no one seems to mind. A little on the high end as far as price but worth every penny.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed July 9, 2018

While in Indy this past weekend, I thought I'd check Trip Advisor for a new restaurant. Caplinger's had great reviews, and my husband and I love seafood. Boy, were we disappointed!

We got there around 530 pm, so it was very busy. We waited in line about 10 minutes to order, then we waited about 40 minutes for them to call our number. We were stuck at a table with two strangers (the place is tiny and you have to fight to find a seat) when we got our food, so we began to eat. I got fried clams that were supposed to be "buffalo" (meaning large, not hot), but were mostly bits and pieces of small clams. They were OK at best - and a small portion, to boot. The candied yams were lukewarm and again, just OK. The collard greens were probably the best part of my meal. My husband got soft shell crabs which were a decent-sized portion, but salty and nothing special. His fried okra was terrible - cold and rubbery. Overall, probably one of the biggest restaurant disappointments of all time. Granted, we visit Florida every year, so we are used to great seafood. Unfortunately, Caplinger's brags on bringing the best of the sea to Indy, and we believed them. Never again.

We wanted to love it, but we just couldn't. Although the guys working behind the counter were nice enough, it just wasn't very good. And it took FOREVER. Based on my experience, I would definitely not recommend it.

1  Thank ChilliNative
Reviewed July 9, 2018

had dinner there with 2 other couples. You can order off their menu, or you can select something from their fresh fish case and they will prepare it for you while you wait,. Find a seat and they bring the food to you. Its good food, not fancy food. You can also buy fish there and take it home to cook yourself. There is some outside seating as well.

Date of visit: September 2017