“Nice place, good location”

Candlewood Suites Indianapolis Dwtn Medical Dist
Ranked #78 of 182 Hotels in Indianapolis
Jacksonville, Florida, USA
“Nice place, good location”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

We stayed here in April '13 while I was having surgery done at the nearby hospital. Great location as it took about 5 minutes to get to the hospital parking garage. They also ran a free shuttle that my parents used often to get from the hotel to the hospital so you didn't have to pay for parking. They just called ahead when they wanted to be picked up and got a time estimate. Both myself, with my wife and son as well army parents and sister stayed in a 2 bedroom room. They were next to each other and great. The bedrooms give a great deal of a space and privacy. Also my son was just under a year and cried a little through the first couple nights getting used to the new place, but my family was unable to hear him cry from the room next door. Mostly noise was heard from above, not the side rooms. The kitchenette was decent, it did save the family from having to go out everyday for meals. There weren't a ton of restaurants around but on 10th St just north of Indiana Ave there are a few sandwich places, restaurants, pizza places, etc. We also got a great deal through the ProCare Concierge. We got the information about them from the hospital, and staying over 2 weeks made the 2 bedroom much cheaper per night. It is a little weird leaving your trash out in the hall, but usually it would get picked up fairly soon. Some days it did seem to sit out for a while though. We only had one real problem and that was for the last few days of our trip one of the elevators didn't work, leaving just one for the entire hotel which meant it could take 10 minutes just to get the elevator during the morning when people were checking out and using elevators a lot. I would have taken the stairs normally but was still sore from surgery. I'm sure this is no longer an issue so I have no problem recommending it to others. I hope to never have to go back to that hospital but if I need to I would stay here again.

Room Tip: 2 bedrooms were a very nice size. Maybe ask for something not on the side of the train tracks. I nev...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Don H, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Indianapolis Dwtn Medical Dist, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Thank you very much for you review from your recent stay. Despite the circumstances which brought you to the area, pleased that many aspects of your stay were enjoyable. Unfortunately, we did experience some mechanical difficulties with one of our elevators during the month of April, causing some inconvenience to guests. This has since been repaired. If you happen to return to the area, would hope that you would choose our location again for your hotel needs.

Don Hilton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Evansville, Indiana
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Just spent 4 days here while my son had cancer surgery at IU. We had a one bedroom which was clean and perfect for us, kitchen was a big plus since hospital food was not great, and there is really no dining around this hotel. OK though because it can get expensive. Hotel is somewhat isolated from the hussel and bussel. We parked at the hotel and saved on parking by using the shuttle. The shuttle leaves hotel on most of the hours expect some in the afternoon go every hour and half. Keep in mind this is a shuttle, not your personal ride, there are others to be picked up and dropped off. Shuttle may not take u directly to and from, therefore allow time. Don't expect to call and they will rush right there, u will have to wait for the timed run. I have nothing bad to say, we got everything we wantd and more. Only thing i did not see a playground that some said they had, loved the covered patio but in in the back with no good access. I also would was not sure what to do with trash, did not like the idea of leaving it in the hall as others did.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Don H, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Indianapolis Dwtn Medical Dist, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
I regret the circumstances that brought you to our location; however, am pleased that your experience with us was a positive one. I was also pleased to read your very descript comments of our hotel shuttle. Not everyone is as understanding as you. Candlewood Suites, by their brand definition, are not required to have shuttles. Due to the large volume of hospital business at our location, it was decided that a shuttle would be beneficial to service those guest visiting these entities, as well as guests who may be here for business/leisure. As the hospital patrons are such a large portion of our hotel, they are the priority when doing any shuttle runs.

In the event you do return to our location, the gazebo/patio area is accessed by going to the lower level (basement) and exiting the back of the hotel.

Due to fire code, trash receptacles, which were originally at the end of each corridor, were required to be removed. Hence, asking guests to set trash outside their rooms for our staff to pick up throughout the day.

I hope that your son is doing well following his surgery. If follow-up visits are necessary, I trust that we are your hotel destination. Thanks again for your patronage.
Aurora, Ohio
Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

This is my second stay at a Candlewood and never again... This place reminded me of a bad housing project with a front desk. Dirty, unkempt, no amenities, bad service, bad location and many customers you wouldn't would want to make eye-contact with. The only good thing, the bed was comfy (though maybe dirty). And the tracks... right outside!

• Stayed March 2013
Don H, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Indianapolis Dwtn Medical Dist, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
I am sorry to hear of your negative experience at our facility. Many guests who stay with us and are not familiar with the Candlewood Suites 'extended-stay' concept, might find the absence of daily housekeeping service, complementary breakfast and /or adjoining restaurant(s), etc..., as a lack of amenities. Otherwise, standard amenities would inlcude: shampoo, soap, toilet/facial tissue, etc...

This location, at one time, was an apartment complex. Hence, the smaller atrium area vs. that of a property with a more spacious lobby area. While our lobby area is smaller, the rooms are very spacious in comparison to other Candlewood Suites.

The location of our property is about 2 miles west of Downtown Indianapolis, putting it in close proximity to several hospital locations, as well as a more 'urban' setting. While this urban setting can be offsetting to some individuals, criminal activity is minimal to non-existant. No more so than any downtown hotel location. Given our proximity to the many hospitals: IU, Wishard, Methodist, Riley Children's, VA, etc..., we receive several persons staying at location for medical purposes. Many of these are here for organ transplant(s), cancer treatment, etc... None of the person(s) staying at the facility are contagious and/or a danger to any other guest of the facility who may be here for business/leisure purposes.

I do apologize for any cleanliness issues experienced during your stay and would be interested in hearing of your negative experience with my staff so that corrective measures can be made. Please feel free to contact me at your convenience.
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed January 29, 2013

We were only there for one night. Got in a 4pm and had our friends meet us there - the living room was spacious. The kitchen was fully equipped with glass, mugs, plates, large fridge. We had 2 separate bedrooms with king beds in both. The couch in the living room also pulled out. The only down fall - there was only one bathroom.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Don H, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Indianapolis Dwtn Medical Dist, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
We appreciate both your business and positive feedback from your stay. Hope to see you again in the near future.
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I love staying at the Candlewood Suites hotels. My fav orite thing about them is the full kitchen, making the hotel perfect for birthday parties or extended visits. My most recent stay was in Indianapolis for New Year's. This hotel is about 10 minutes (give or take a few) from the City Center downtown. I wanted something directly downtown, but when I realized there was a Candlewood Suites close by, I forgot all other options and booked my stay immediately. I was not disappointed. This is my second stay at a CS hotel, both times i was impressed, and I know I will definitely book my stay at another one soon.

• Stayed December 2012
We appreciate your loyalty to the Candlewood brand of hotels and the positive feedback from your most recent stay. We hope to have the opportunity to service you, and your guests, in the near future.
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed December 4, 2012

We stayed here recently for a conference in Indy and this hotel was a great choice for the following reasons.

1) Location. They offer free parking, outside of the downtown shuffle.

2) A shuttle service which was great for our conference. We simply notified them where we wanted to go, called when we wanted picked up, and had our own shuttle service around downtown Indy. This saved us on parking, and was like having our own taxi service if we needed it.

3) The rooms were HUGE. With a full kitchen in each room, we didn't have to always go out if we didn't want to. This was a nice feature to have.

4) The people who work here. From the men at the front desk, to the guys who drove the shuttle, everyone here was great. They seemed to enjoy working here, and treated you as you would want to be treated.

The only reason I didn't give the hotel 5 "stars" was the following. 1) We booked the exact same rooms for all of us, exact same cost...and one of the rooms was a lot smaller than the other. Granted, the rooms were still large, however it was strange when a co-worker came into my room and was shocked by the additional size. The room was basically the same, however one just had a lot more space and closet space. Normally I would have no issue with this, but we paid the same price so we should have had comparable rooms. 2) When booking on hotels.com (maybe hotels.com fault) but we were told we had two double beds where in reality we just had one larager bed and a pull out sofabed. When we asked, we were told if you wanted two beds you need a two bedroom suite.

Overall though, for the price...this is a GREAT option. I didn't notice the room being noisy, or anything being smoky like some have mentioned. Our rooms were spotless and was very quiet.

Room Tip: When booking on hotels.com (maybe hotels.com fault) but we were told we had two double beds where in...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Indiana
Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel because my son was having surgery the next day. I had never stayed at a Candlewood Suites, or any extended stay hotel, before and was very impressed. The room was the bigger than some apartments I've lived in before! The room was very clean. There were two flat screen TVs, one in the living room and one in the bedroom. We were only staying for one night but I can see it being very nice and comfortable for a family that needs to stay longer for things at the hospital. There was a full size refrigerator in the kitchen and even some dishes and cookware in the cupboards.

• Stayed October 2012