“Bad experience turned out to be a great experience”

Candlewood Suites Indianapolis Dwtn Medical Dist
Ranked #78 of 185 Hotels in Indianapolis
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I recently stayed at this Candlewood, because I was displaced by the University Place Hotel. So my visit to Indy wasn't starting out the way I had hoped. I didn't know what to expect when first arriving but I was greeted with a smile by Dwayne at the front desk. Once I got to my room I was in disbelief at the size of the room and how clean it was. I called down to the desk once getting settled and asked if that room would be available the next two evenings. It was and I was happy. I booked the room the next two nights and called Univeristy Place Hotel and cancelled. I was also offered to join the frequent traveler club offered by Candlewood which had great benefits. I used the shuttle twice while there to go into downtown for dinner. I was there the next two days and each time I walked by the desk Dwayne greeted me by name. I was at the elevator and came back to the desk and asked how he knew my name. He stated that he had checked me in the night before. I had never experienced anything like that at a hotel. He was also very knowledgable about the downtown restaurants and local attractions. I will definately be back to this location when traveling to Indy every other month for business. Thanks for making what had started off as a bad trip to Indy a great one!

1  Thank DRuss_12

Reviewed June 26, 2012

If you do not absolutely have to stay in downtown Indianapolis, this is a great choice. The rooms are set up like furnished apartments, including a kitchen stocked with pans, dishes, cutlery, and a dishwasher. The full refrigerator even has an ice maker! Bed was decent, a little soft for my taste, but did have both foam and good feather pillows. Will definitely stay here again when in town.

Reviewed June 21, 2012

Stayed at the Candlewood Suites week of June 11 for a week long conference. I had a one bedroom suite...wow! It was huge! The suite had a full size fridge and kitchenette that was very convenient. No, it is not downtown but, the shuttle will take you where you want to go including the wine and grocery stores. They dropped us off at the University every morning and picked us up in the evening. They dropped me off to meet friends at an outdoor concert at the historical society. Very, very convenient. There is also a gazebo out back with grills.
Yes, the door to get into the lobby is a single door and that should probably be changed. It was hard to get through with a week's worth of luggage and groceries.
A special thanks to Dwayne at the front desk. He was always very pleasant and helpful.
A warning about GPS. You need to update your GPS as it doesn't like the address and will send you to another part of White River Pkwy. If concerned, call the hotel and they will give you an alternate address to plug into your GPS.

Reviewed May 29, 2012

This hotel is not downtown!!!! It is across the river and there is nothing within walking distance. The rooms are nicely appointed and clean, however cars were broken into each evening we stayed there. We will never stay here again, it is worth paying a premium to stay at a real downtown hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank DanB21
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

Dear DanB21,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your comments regarding our property during your recent stay. Guest comfort and safety are of the utmost concern to us and our hotels are committed to making every possible effort to provide a secure environment. Please accept my apologies for the confusion regarding our hotel name and location. Your comments have been documented and this will be used to help us improve in the areas we may have fallen short.

Irish V.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed May 23, 2012

This was our second stay at this hotel. The set up of the rooms are so nice and the extra room because they were apartments is awesome. I didn’t realize how great the kitchen was until I stayed at another suite hotel that had no cabinets or drawers to put anything away. We had a one bedroom suite this time. I love having a separate room for sleeping so everyone does not have to go to bed at the same time. The bed was super comfy. I do wish that there was a way to muffle the noise from outside the room. The neighbor across the hall slammed their door no less than 10 times between 6 and 10pm. The other thing this hotel desperately needs is an automatic second door. The main doors open automatically but getting in that next single door with a cart full of luggage is next to impossible with just one person. The front desk did help but even just putting a handicapped opener on that door would make it work so much better if not adding a second set of double automatic doors. I was very disappointed when trying to check out that all four carts were gone. Going up and down from the 11th floor 4 times was not my idea of fun. I asked at the front desk and was told I should check the other building which we had already done. Not sure if people had them in their rooms or where they were. It was a Wednesday morning but I was told a lot of people were checking out. My husband did manage to find one just in time to bring down the cooler. Unfortunately we were about 20 minutes late hitting the road because of that. Most of the front desk staff are very nice and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 9, 2012 via mobile

Good service, nicely appointed suites, no lobby to speak of. Although it is described as city center - it isn't. There is nothing nearby - 2+ mile walk or a cab ride to the city.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed April 7, 2012

I probably would've given it a 5 had my checkin experience been better. I booked the childrens museum and zoo package,but when checking in I was informed that location doesn't normally participate in that promotion. I had to suggest to the clerk to try to get them from another hotel, and when the hotel she called said it would be at least one hour, I had to suggest she call another hotel so we could actually use the tickets that day. Once that problem was solved,room was very clean and spacious, store had reasonable prices,and location was close to everything but boardering on a bad neighborhood.

• Stayed: April 2012