“Love this Hotel!”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Indianapolis-Downtown
Ranked #7 of 188 Hotels in Indianapolis
Reviewed May 31, 2011

We just returned from our annual Indy 500 trip. This is our 5th year staying at the Homewood Suites in downtown Indianapolis. We love this hotel. The rooms are so large with beautiful exposed brick and high ceilings. There is sufficient space for our group to spread out. The location to downtown bars and restaurants is so convienent. The hot breakfasts this year were exceptional. Even with all of the new hotels being built in downtown Indy, we will continue to stay here. If Nebraska makes it into the inaugral Big 10 football championship, we will be back in December.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
hwsplainfield, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Indianapolis-Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2011

Dear valued guest,

Thank you for choosing the Homewood Suites Indianapolis Downtown; "your home away from home".

We are humbled and graciously accepting of your kind remarks. Your loyalty to our brand and hotel is much appreciated! When your travels bring you back to the wonderful City of Indianapolis, please feel free to contact me personally at 317-363-7992 or via email at Eugene.Hilliard@Hilton.com to reserve your hotel accomodations.

Again, thank you for your patronage. We look forward to seeing you in the near future.

Eugene Hilliard, CRDE

Write a ReviewReviews (1,095)

Reviewed May 14, 2011

The rooms are very nice, recently updated and decorated. Bed comfortable. Flat screen TVs in both the living room and bedroom. Huge bathroom and rooms over all were very large with high ceilings. Too bad the neighborhood is LOUD! Motorcycles roared past throughout the night and drunks squealed on the street below until well past 3 am. On a Tuesday night (and not during the 500). I hardly got any sleep. It is probably quieter during winter. Too bad because the hotel itself was lovely, but I wouldn't stay there again. If you're a sound sleeper give it a try.

Room Tip: Ask for something away from the front of the hotel
2  Thank Laura A
hwsplainfield, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Indianapolis-Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Homewood Suites Indianapolis Downtown; "your home away from home"!

Please accept my deepest apology for the noise that you encountered from the entertainment venues near the hotel. We are working deligently to remind our neighbors of acceptable noise levels after hours, so that our guest experience is what they have come to expect from our hotel.
As you have indicated, our hotel offers a variety of uniquely well appointed suites. We have several desireable locations throughout the hotel that can make for a comfortable experience. You are a valued guest and we do appreciate your patronage. Thank you for your kind and informative comments. Should your travels bring you back to the Indianapolis Metropolitain area, I'd like to have the opportunity to regain your confidence. Please contact me at your earliest convienence at Eugene.Hilliard@hilton.com or at 317-636-7992.

I hope to hear from your soon!

Reviewed May 11, 2011

Basics: My 4 y.o son and I tagged along w/ my husband on a business trip - Sun to Thursday - 1 bedroom suite via AAA.

The good:
Great valet service - rather expensive ($24 a day) - but, these guys (who I believe are subcontracted and not hotel employees) do a great job - and each day they offered me driving directions to my destination. Very prompt and courteous service.
Great breakfast buffet in the AM (but rather early for me 6 to 9AM) (and see the "ugly" comment below re: unwashed fruit). Each day they have a different "hot" entree and then the usual, toast, bagels, rolls, cereal, yogurt, fruit, hot waffles (machine). Coffees, and juices.
Mon - TH evening light dinner buffet - this was nice because my husband was going out and networking and my son and I could grab something quick and easy and not have to be bothered with going out by ourselves. Again, they have one featured item and there is a calendar menu on your fridge in your room to tell you in advance of what they are serviing. FREE beer and wine too!
Nice size clean pool area - my son even learned to swim there!!!
The elevators are (good) quite quite - we were right next to one and i never heard it in my room: however (bad) they are very SLOW. Two in the hotel.
Decor and loft warehouse feel - nicely decorated. Great open kitchen w/ small table w/ 2 chairs; sectional pull sofa - flat screen TV. Large entryway. Adequate size bathroom.
The 1 bedroom in sq footage is quite large - we had plenty of room.

The Bad (or not so good):
We checked in ~5 PM on Sun eve- I asked for a quite room since i have a napper and we all are light sleepers - only 5 floors in this hotel - so something off the main street would have been desirable. The clerk had us originally on 3 rd floor - facing noisy front street and right beside elevator - NOT GOOD. He informed us they were full due to the convention (which my husband was attending). He said he could move us up one floor - so we said - ok, fine; well, this was NOT a 1 bedroom -but, rather the suite room - with everything grouped together and smaller - so I called and said - we need the 1 bedroom; well, he only offered us rthe original room - so ok fine. But, really - i understand they are full - but, not everyone had checked in yet - and he reallly didn't try to relocate us - he seemed rather apathic about my concern for need for a quite room.

This may be a good for some -but, for us it wasn't good - the location. You are smack dap in restaurant/bar area - Wholesale district - bars across the street and beside you and down the alley... VERY vERY noicy from 11 pm to 2:30 AM. The police station is just down the block - but, you would never know it.

Garbage trucks - from 3:30 to 5 AM every night?! BEEP BEEP BEEP - backing up - than CRASH DUMP - garbage collecting!! uugghhh - not much the hotel can do about these I know - but, sleepers beware!! (This goes to my request for a quite room)

No bedroom door - it's all open - i guess to make it more of a loft warehouse feel - but, that is the reason I want a separate bedroom - I want a door! May not be an issue for most - but, for us w/ a small son it was.

IN room movie rental: they have a special section for $4.99 (and up*) - well, you have to read the small print - I ended up buying a movie (Shrek) for 9.99 - thinking it was $4.99 and then we could only watch it once?

Bed - mattress or bed needed replaced.

NO dish soap provided - you had to run the dishwasher to clean a few dishes.

The Ugly:
Our confirmed AAA rate was $151 a night for 4 nights. When my husband checked out and brought me the bill on Thur AM - I was shocked to see we only rec'd that rate on our 1st night and M and Tu night we were charged more than double and on Wed $171 a night; so, i took my confirmation down to the front desk and asked for a mangaer - I ended up speaking to the Dir of Sales and she was polite and got everything changed but really didn't offer up much explanation for the mishap!?

Breakfast buffet - I noticed by the 2nd day that the fruit all had stickers on them still -and upon further inspection yes, they NOT been washed at all. I asked the food service lady and she confirmed that "no, she didn't wash them - they come in a box .... already washed"... ummm NO -they are not washed - and there is no where in the breakfast area to wash them!? She did offer to go wash my apple for me. But, ppl - it's a breakfast buffet - ppl are grabbling apples, pears, etc to sit down and eat or run out the door to eat for a snack later - shouldn't this food all be washed? Isn't that Food service 101? I realized after all this that we had served my son the blueberries the previous day and I am quite certain it wasn't washed either!! GRRRR!! I infomed the Dir of Sales of this on my check out, along w/ the bill mishap and also the lack of concern for my request of a quite room.
She did follow up in a few hours with a phone call; but, with basically just another apology and to notify me she had followed up on these items... so, PLEASE - let me know if you readers stay there and see the stickers still on the fruit!! I am so curious to know if that was corrected or not!?

1  Thank beardogmom
Reviewed May 9, 2011

I booked this hotel as we were attending a conference at the JW Marriott. We had the option to stay there, but felt we didn't want to be right on top of it.

We were delighted with our stay here. From the moment we arrived the staff could not be more helpful.

The rooms are huge, and I mean huge! The beds are comfortable, and street noise is hardly there. Ocasionally you get the odd guest who might not respect that other people are sleeping, but to be honest what hotel doesn't.

Breakfast is a simple affair, cooked or continental. Though you can pour your own waffles!

Included in the price is an evening meal, although simple they are tasty and included is a selection on wines and beers, with soft drinks for those that choose. All in all great value!

Location, is perfect. You are within 5 minutes walk to all the best restaurants and bars.

The Circle Shopping Mall is directly across the road and open till 9pm, so shopping available on tap.

The Indy Speedway is only 15 minutes drive away as well.

All is all I would recommend staying here and would have no trouble doing so again should I be in Indianapolis!

1  Thank Spiderdude
Reviewed April 9, 2011

Where to start? Was forced to use their valet service$$$$$$$$ and not given the option of parking my car myself. Real inconvenience to get your car after parking it. Rooms are nice, but could use a door between the dining/living room area and bedrooms. This hotel sits right in the middle of the party district, which means you get no sleep until after the bars close. The outside noise is terrible, police sirens, bar patrons, loud music from cars, etc. Spent 3 nights here and didn't get any sleep. The staff is not overly friendly, especially the valet service. Ask for your car and if you want to park it on the street, they won't give the keys to you, tell you the will hang on to them and give them to you as you need them.

Room Tip: No good rooms, noisy in all rooms
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Sh0pper100
hwsplainfield, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Indianapolis-Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2011

“In regards to your TripAdvisor review about our Homewood Suites property in Indianapolis, I ask that you please contact me, or let me know how I can reach out to you to make this situation right. Please give me a call at 317-636-7992 or email me at Eugene.Hilliard@hilton.com. Again, I'd like to offer my sincerest apologies.”

Reviewed March 17, 2011

We were extremely surprised at the size of the rooms here. They were HUGE. A neat place over all, tall ceilings, great furnishings, convenient to everything down town.

Fitness center was small, but never more than two people using it. Breakfast was nice, lots of good options. The person working the morning buffet was very efficient and friendly with all the guests.

We came back around dinner and our room hadn't been cleaned. This was due to a mix up with house keeping. We called the front desk and the manager came up, the front desk clerk came later with towels and then the head of housekeeping came in and when we came back from dinner our room was clean. Excellent customer service.

The building behind us was being renovated and we were right next to it. It was noisy, but c'mon, the hotel can't control that. So other Trip Advisor members, please don't mark down a hotel for something like that ... no way they could tell the contractors next door not to empty their dumpsters or use power tools.

Overall a great stay. We will definitely stay here next year when we return for our conference.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank russhhs
Reviewed March 8, 2011

Stayed with large group of teenagers, parents, and coaches for a downtown academic competition. Teens devoured the extensive free breakfast.
Hotel is recently remodeled warehouse. Big, comfortable rooms. Warehouse architectural elements incorporated into design, i.e. exposed wooden beams and original rustic brick. Valet parking only 4 bucks more than the garage.
Located in the heart of the entertainment district, tons of restaurants and drinking holes. Only blocks from both the Pacers and Colts stadiums.

Management, If you read this the fake Chia Pet decorations in the rooms are tacky.

• Stayed: March 2011