“JUST PLAIN OLE NASTY”
Review of Shadeland Inn

Shadeland Inn
Ranked #157 of 185 Hotels in Indianapolis
Reviewed May 31, 2012

this place is nasty as hell the owners should be ashames of theirselves ughhhhhhh the only reason why i didnt leave is because my uncle was there & i had to make sure he was ok i was not gonna leave him there by himself i wish we would have stayed at the holiday inn express like the rest of the family i had to clean my whole room i used 3 handtowels to do that i had to get me clorox cleaner moved to another room the same thing the only difference is i had hot water jus plain nasty

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank chelcie r
rodewayinnindianapol, Webmaster at Shadeland Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2014

Dear Guest,

While your comments are from 2012, they deserve a response. We’ve used these and other comments to improve the property and are now better than we ever were before. I sincerely apologize that we fell short of complete satisfaction in your case and challenge you to visit us again when you’re in the area to see how we’ve improved. You’ll be very surprised.

Reviewed March 11, 2012

My family and I stayed for two nights here. The receptionist was very, very nice. Everything else was terrible though. The light in our room was almost hanging from the ceiling. A bottom piece of the lining along the wall was falling off. The coffee was terrible. The continental breakfast consisted of muffins. There were very few, and they weren't that great. The pool was down the whole time we stayed. Our bath tub had jets in it, that did not work. When we took a bath, it filled with disgusting pieces of crud from the jets. There were very few cable channels. The neighborhood was pretty terrible as well. To make everything worse, I'm now itching all over. I definitely wish we would have splurged for a nicer hotel!

Room Tip: The room we were in was terrible, and I'm not sure if any of the others were that great either.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Heather315

Dear Guest,

Thanks for these comments. Although they were years ago, please understand that they were important to us and help us as we’ve made changes and improvements to this property. We strive for 100 percent satisfaction and are meeting the needs of hundreds of guests each week. I’m sorry we fell short in your case all those months ago and hope you will try us again to see how we’re better than ever.

Reviewed February 11, 2012

OMG!!! Stay as far away from this hotel as possible...not only is the staff rude and ignorant...they have the filthiest rooms I have EVER SEEN...including BED BUGS!!! And when we told them about it they didnt even care. Holes in the carpet and stains on the counter tops, dirty blankets on the beds, hair in the drains,the security lock was pulled out of the door, TV didnt work right, and SMELLY...worst night I have ever spent at any hotel...again, STAY FAR FAR AWAY...

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Tiny W

Dear Guest,

While we have never had an insect problem in this hotel, I can see from your comments in 2012 that we did not meet your needs when you stayed with us, and that’s a shame. I sincerely apologize to you and encourage you to visit us again when in the area. You’ll see that every aspect of this property is improved and revamped, and we’re better than ever before.

Reviewed December 11, 2011

We stayed in this motel one night during the Big 10 game in Indianapolis. I began to have 2nd thoughts about it the minute I stepped out of our car! There were beer cans and empty beer bottles laying on the sidewalk to the entrance. They were still there when we left the next morning.
When we got to our room, the TV didn't work; it kept rolling and didn't stop.There were stains on the bedspread so we took it off. The towels were so thin I had to ask for 2 extra towels. There was no coffee maker.There were 2 bedside lamps and one had a bulb burned out. The toilet was yellow with rust.However, the front desk people were extremely nice. That and the fact that the mattress was decent and it was the only room we could find so close to a big event in Indi were the only reasons we even stayed there. I would NOT go back again. Think twice befor staying here. For the full price of a Choice motel, it was NOT worth it!!!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank itchyfeetFt_Wayne

Dear Guest,

Your comments were nearly 3 years ago, but they deserve a response. I sincerely apologize that we fell short of meeting your expectations. We have made significant changes and improvements to every aspect of this property and welcome you to visit us again. You’ll find a completely different, better experience.

Reviewed August 27, 2011

Booked this hotel for 2 nights for my daughter and I. Not a child friendly atmosphere. The rooms were fair for the price, but not very clean. The breakfast is a JOKE!! The pool appears to be very nice in the pics, but be warned it is NASTY!! We did not get in it at all. DO NOT RECOMMEND to anyone looking for a nice pleasant stay.

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank Gurl00
Reviewed August 26, 2011

The Cons:
Old leak probably from the roof and wallpaper was coming off the walls in room 104 and some visible water stains. There was a weird odor in the room right when I walked in but I guess I got used to it. Curtains would not close all the way so some light from the street lights came in. Door would not close all the way. Plaster on carpet most likely from the textured ceiling. Inside of bathroom door was filthy at the bottom like every guest that ever visited put their dirty shoe on the door. Toilet made weird noised throughout the night. Most of the TV channels had lines running through them. No outlets by the desk. Had to unplug either the refridgerator or TV to use the microwave. LIghtbulg was out in one of the lamps. No sheets or pillows for the convertible couch. No way to adjust the flow of the air conditioner so it blows straight on you when in the bed. Ironing board but no iron. Something is up with the pool. Water tastes weird and filmy. Decided not to swim anymore after a few minutes despite my 3 year old bawling to go back in. Ice machine down the hall is so loud that it woke up my 1 year old twice. No shampoo or conditioner in bathroom but there was a wrapped bar of soap. Online reservation system showed rooms at $40.00 for the dates I wanted but when I went to book it, it told me no rooms were available. I called them to make reservation and was told rooms were available but for $50.00 and then was told that $40.00 is only for Sunday - Thursday. If this was the case then why did the online reseversation system quote me $40.00 for Friday and Saturday and then tell me no room were avaiable. You have to go through two glass doors to get into the lobby and you have to really pull on them and they close too quickly making it hard to carry your luggage in. Toilet seat was all chipped. Bathroom door was all chipped and looked like my 1 year old painted it. Stain on convertible sofa cushions looked like it could have been blood or red juice. Probably not the safest neighborhood but definitely not the ghetto.

The Pros:

TV has RCA inputs for a gaming console. There was a decent size refridgerator in the unit as well as a microwave. Very spacious. A/C works great with a digital display of the temperature and very easy to adjust. Unexpected convertibile sofa in room with the king size bed. Free Wi-Fi that I was able to easily access from my room and did not have to go into lobby to get better connection. Good sized drawers which held all of my clothes, my sons clothes, and my daughters clothes. Lots of vending machines. Decent size pool. Had all my paperwork ready when I checked in.

Summary:

For $50.00 per night on a Friday and Saturday it was the least expensive hotel I could find near my kids. Having a fridge, a microwave, and a TV with inputs for a gaming counsel was a splendid surprise and mostly overshadowed all the other unpleasantries as I needed something to warm up my 1 and 3 year olds food and a fridge to put drinks and left over food in. The room was very spacious and to have both a king size bed and a convertible sofa in the room was pretty neat and gave the kids a great place to sleep as it was close to the floor. The king size bed was comfortable but the pillows were only okay.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 13, 2011

I can't remember ever staying in a worse hotel and I've stayed in plenty. Our "in room air conditioner" popped its circuit breaker about every 45 minutes making the nights hot and humid. The "continental breakfast" was very amusing. The most we ever saw were six little muffins in a case. One day we came out and all there was was a half empty gallon jug of milk on the counter. The room furnishings were old but decently comfortable and the WiFi worked very well. The bathroom was functional but seemed to be rotting away, probably from the humidity. If you wanted a cheap place to spend one night, I suppose you could do worse, but I certainly wouldn't go back.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business