“Great hotel but some bumps”

Conrad Indianapolis
Ranked #3 of 185 Hotels in Indianapolis
Reviewed February 21, 2011

This is a very nice hotel, with a great location and lots of pluses!
The location is fantastic.
The valets were so nice and helpful with directions, the check in went well.
The problem that seems easy to fix and yet so many guest were having trouble with was the elevators and ice.
Seems trivial but oh, so annoying.
We and many of the guests did not completely understand how much the room key is needed.
Ice is not on every floor, and this is not explained, nor the fact you need your room key to access the ice on a different floor.
We felt silly, but not when three other couples were doing the same thing, and were just as confused.
Hello people, you don't want your guests feeling like they are committing a crime, because they want some ice.
After that fiasco, where thankfully we all had a giggle, there was a nice evening service with water and ice delivered.

The fact the Capital Grille is located in the hotel, was a wonderful convenience. A wonderful restaurant whose prices reflect their excellence.

Tastings was a lot of fun at night. The fact there are so many wines to taste was fun, if not a bit pricey. The nice plus is that you can buy a bottle of one of your favorite selections at a price close to retail. The small plates and appetizers were delicious!

The rooms were well appointed, and bathrooms were roomy and upscale for sure!
The bed was very comfortable and the flat screen TV was great.
Not so great, the fee for wireless internet!
Hello, it is 2011!! To get free wireless I guess you have to go to the Panera next door.
For $300 a night and up, free internet should not be even questioned.
I have been a Hilton Honors member for over 20 years, but was not at the correct level, ugh.
That little thing had my husband fuming.
Not worth whatever little they are making on it, for the bad will they create.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Conrad Indianapolis

Reviewed February 21, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Conrad for a belated Valentine's Day celebration; we live in Indianapolis, so this was a "staycation" for us. The Conrad has a great reputation here in town, so our expectations were high going in. The lobby is gorgeous with a lovely Chihuly-style light fixture. Common areas appear very clean and well-maintained, and the indoor pool/whirlpool area was great, although we did smell very strongly of chlorine after a dip in each. Our upgraded room on the 18th floor had an awesome view of Monument Circle and downtown to the east. The room itself was nicely decorated with a huge bathroom that contained a soaking tub, separate shower and television (very luxurious). Our only minor complaints - the full-length mirror in our room hadn't been cleaned very well and was streaky, and the drain in the bathtub didn't seal completely so water slowly leaked out. We semi-solved that problem ourselves by covering the drain with a washcloth, which helped, but at these room rates, we really felt everything should be perfect. We enjoyed a glass of wine in the on-site Tastings wine bar, then had dinner at the on-site Capital Grille. We ordered continental breakfasts from room service the following morning. Both the service and the quality of the food were very good, but definitely not cheap. Overall, our whole stay was relaxing and enjoyable, but it was definitely a big splurge for us and not something we'd do on a regular basis.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 21, 2011

The hotel was not the nicest hotel I stayed in, but the bathroom was definitely the nicest bathroom. There is a sunken in tub and dual-shower head shower, and a t.v. in the bathroom. It was so nice and relaxing to take a soak in the tub. They had a great fitness center and swimming pool too. Service was very efficient and attentive and met expectations for a hotel of this quality.

2  Thank peacepax
Reviewed February 3, 2011

I have stayed at the Conrad twice now for business. Both times, I have been very pleased overall. The service is top-notch. Rooms are modern, clean and comfortable. The elevators are FAST! :) Tastings and the Capital Grill both have great food and drink options right there in the hotel. The hotel location is perfect - right in the center of everything.

My favorite thing about the hotel is the fitness center. It is the absolute best of any hotel fitness center I've used.

Highly recommend!!

Reviewed January 21, 2011

We stayed at the Conrad for two nights when we came to town for a basketball game, using my husband's HHonors points. The hotel is beautiful! The bed was super comfortable, and the bathroom was great with a big soaking tub and a TV. Nice big TV in the bedroom. The indoor pool was maybe the nicest I have seen, and the gym was great. We especially liked the evening turn-down service. The location cannot be beat - you walk out the door and in all directions are tons of bars and restaurants (Champp's, Rock Bottom, Weber Grill, Buca di Beppo, Palamino, PF Chang's, Morton's, just to name a couple) Easy walking distance to Conseco Fieldhouse. The hotel is connected to the Circle Centre Mall so you don't even need to go outside if you don't want to. Valet parking is a bit steep at $33/night, but whatever - we'll definitely be back when we return to Indianapolis.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 17, 2011

The Conrad was exceptional from beginning to end.

Our stay was 'just for the fun of it' and to do some shopping at circle centre mall. Access to the mall was all indoors and allowed us to avoid the snow and leave our coats behind when we shopped.

All the amenities we expect from a five star hotel were present, and more. Service was above and beyond anything we could have expected. We had picked up some flowers at a corner stand on the way to Indianapolis. When we arrived, they took our flowers and delivered them to our room arranged in a vase. Turn down service when we arrived back after dinner was a pleasant surprise as well.

We visited the pool and it was a perfect temperature (I would say 85), The oversize jacuzzi was grand as well.

We enjoyed our stay and HIGHLY recommend the Conrad Hilton if you're anywhere near downtown Indianapolis, Indiana.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 11, 2011

This is an excellent hotel with top notch service. I have stayed here twice in the last month and am very impressed. Both rooms were spotless, including ledges, corners etc. The housekeeping and service staff was outstanding, I called down for more cream for my coffee and within five minutes a suited gentleman was outside with a pitcher of cream and extra coffee for the Keurig as well.

In the evenings turn down service includes a bottle of water, they will also tune your radio to soft music and dim the lights. Nice to return to after dinner. If you are a Hilton Gold or Diamond member you will receive vouchers for free breakfast or $10 off prepared breakfast which is served in the Capital Grill. Gold and Diamond members also receive Internet service for free. The eggs benedict and egg white omelets are great, as is the fresh fruit/yogurt/granola breakfast.

I see there are complaints that there was only a single bottle of water, if you take the time to visit the nicely equipped gym facility on the sixth floor there is an abundance of water that is yours for the taking. They also provide headphones, extra towels and plenty of amenities in the locker rooms, a nice touch.

Showers include a Grohe dual headed flip showerhead, there is also a separate soaking tub and a TV in the bathroom. What a luxury to watch the news while getting ready in the AM and enjoying my cup of Keurig prepared coffee.

In general I felt like a pampered princess while staying here, the valet even stopped traffic so I could pull out in the AM, not kidding. I only wish my corporate rate would extend past this week, seriously, I would stay every week but it's back to the Homewood Suites for me (also a nice property).

My only complaint is the somewhat uneven level of service from the check in staff. When I checked in my first night, the gentleman who helped me appeared somewhat disdainful. Maybe it was the corporate rate, who knows? I'm a Diamond Hhonors member though, and stay at Hilton properties 4 days a week/365 and I figure most Conrad guests are probably on a corp rate too, non? I asked him if they served hot breakfast at the restaurant and he said, "I'm getting to your vouchers." He never explained the internet service, didn't offer to have newspapers delivered, and was very unfriendly. My colleague who checked in with a different staff member had top notch service from someone who was very friendly, asked which newspapers she would like delivered, explained the breakfast vouchers and was just generally friendly. My check in staff member was the only downer, everyone else was great.

1  Thank MrsSpike34