“Very good value; very clean; pleasant and efficient staff”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Indianapolis Airport South
Ranked #30 of 180 Hotels in Indianapolis
Virginia
“Very good value; very clean; pleasant and efficient staff”
Reviewed September 7, 2007

I paid about $90 plus taxes, etc. for a single room (not a suite). It was large, very clean, and looked new, even though from the reviews here it appears the hotel has been here for awhile. The TV worked fine, as did everything else in the room.

The exterior of the hotel is extremely well-kept; an employee was mowing and tidying up as I drove up. There was plenty of parking. The lobby space, hallways, and rooms are inviting.

The hotel is, as several have commented, very near the highway and near the airport. On the one hand, this is very convenient, close to 465 and 70. When turning from Kentucky Avenue, it's easy to miss Flight School Dr.; watch for the gazebo, which is immediately north of Flight School Dr. On the other hand, if you are bothered a lot by highway noise, you might want to stay elsewhere, or certainly request a room on the opposite side of the hotel at the time of your reservation or during your stay; one of the reviewers here seemed not to think of this until writing the review. I am a light sleeper, but I thought the windows were reasonably well insulated and the air conditioning is a little loud, which drowns out the highway noise, and it didn't bother me at all. Car lights at night aren't a problem, because you can pull the blackout draperies closed.

The staff was very pleasant and efficient. I requested something for my room (I don't want to give away my anonymity!) and it was brought up within minutes, and the employee refused a tip! I had the feeling that as long as the staff could accommodate your requests (and the hotel was not full when I was there) they would do so.

There is no room service, though the nearby Damon's delivers for lunch and dinner. This is mostly sports-bar type food, but if you don't want that and have a car, there are other places near enough.

I didn't try the pool or workout facilities, but there were other people enjoying both during my short stay. So whatever problems occurred as described by another reviewer here, were apparently rectified since then.

Several reviewers have commented on the breakfast that is included with the cost of your room and how much they enjoyed it. I'm not sure I would say it was distinctive. There was plenty to choose from, and if you like milk, cereal, muffins, etc., you'll be happy. But there was no hot food being served when I went at a very early weekend time. It appeared that you could get some prepared eggs and meat out of a refrigerator, and microwave them, if you wanted them. Maybe if it had been later there would have been an employee preparing and serving hot food. So I am not sure whether my different experience (compared with that described by other reviewers) occurred because of different perceptions of the same thing, or because of the unusual time, or because they have changed menus and policies, or something else.

Overall, a hassle-free hotel with all of the services and amenities most travelers need and want, but without a luxury hotel price. By comparison, I stayed a few months ago at another chain hotel (in a smaller city with a cost-of-living maybe just a tiny bit higher than Indy's) that had good reviews on the web. I paid 40% more, and had a much worse experience. So I think the Country Inn - Indy airport is a very good value and very well-run.

• Liked — very clean and modern looking; very good staff
  • Disliked — food service (but it wasn't a problem; I just had to choose something)
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
5 Thank ACWhite

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed September 5, 2007

My favorite place to stay near the indy Airport. They know me by name. Always friendly. The rooms are great and the morning buffet is plentiful with good seating. Love the cookies at the front desk.
The elegant lady who runs the buffet is very sweet and she really takes good care of her guests.

• Liked — Country Bed and breakfast feel of the facility
  • Disliked — Right on the I-465 interstate on ramp
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank planelite1
Indiana
Reviewed July 15, 2007

What a terrible experience we had at the Country Inn and Suites at 5630 Flight School Drive in Indianapolis, IN. We specifically booked the hotel because of the availability of an indoor pool and complimentary breakfast. Upon arrival on Saturday, July 14, 2007, we discovered the pool looked very cloudy and greenish in appearance with oil/film floating on it. We decided at that point we would not be using the pool or hot tub. We were very exhausted and tried to go to sleep early. We were on the fourth floor. There were children running up and down the hallways, shouting, jumping, making all kinds of noise. After several hours of this, I couldn't take it any longer. It was after 10p.m. I had to call the front desk who said they would send security up. We overheard the security officer tell a child that it was at least the second time he had caught the kid in the hallway and wanted to know where the mother was at. I assume he took care of the problem; however, we should not have had to endure this for any length of time.

In addition, we were in a non-smoking room; however, a few doors down were smoking rooms. The smoke smell from those rooms filled the hallways and we could smell it in our room. Ask if the floor you are on has smoking and non/smoking rooms on the same floor! This was awful. Also, the beds and furniture are all HARD.

The next morning, we noticed that there was a sign on the pool door stating it was closed. We heard from others talking that someone had left a present in the pool and in the hot tub and both had to be cleaned. YUK!!! Am I glad that I did not let my children go into the pool. This cleaning should not have waited until morning. It should have been noticed and taken care of right away.

I sent this review to the hotel direct today.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
CountryInnDirOfSales, Director of Sales at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Indianapolis Airport South, responded to this review, September 2, 2010
I apologize for your bad experience years ago. Please be advised that we are now under new management. Every single day our pool is sparkling clean and our Maintenance supervisor is top notch and incredibly quick when it comes to responding to any issues. All groups with kids must sign and adhere to the hotel rules. I hope you will give our property another change in the future as it has completely changed. Thank you for your feedback.
Central Illinois
Reviewed July 5, 2007

We stayed at the Country Inn & Suite Indy Airport South twice over the last week - once flying into town and then again flying out of town. Main draws are the cleanliness and the accommodating staff.

We love to stay at well-managed hotels because every aspect of the hotel makes for a pleasant stay. (Think about the hotels that work efficiently in the way that the employees are empowered to take care of running the hotel as if they were staying as a guest, maintenance in order as preventative routine instead of resulting from complaint, or employees seeking out issues before they turn into problems, for example.)

FACTS:
-Room is clean where you would expect it to be clean and clean in those "behind" or "under" places, as well. Floor in bathroom is cleaned all over and not only cleaned in the more traveled area; tub/shower and sink are also well taken care of.
-No sign of mold/mildew on any part of the bathroom.
-Sheets, pillows, covers, and bed not stained. Fresh smell on all bedding.
-Breakfast is complimentary. Waffle iron is the only noticeable hot food until you see the cheese omelettes and sausage links in the window-front refrigerator for guest microwaving as needed. Well-stocked in other breakfast food areas, too.
-24-hr airport shuttle availability makes for easy transportation to and from the airport (make them aware of your arrival/departure schedules)

OPINIONS:
-Oftentimes see hotels that have the lobby is well-maintained but not the rooms. This hotel has the rooms maintained as they should be. They truly must be looking out for their guests. YEA!!
-Breakfast has many choices, yet could even be more inviting if hot foods were all presented without having to warm up the eggs/sausage ourselves. This is a VERY minor issue, however. We would rather heat up our own eggs than put up with a mediocre hotel. This hotel was tops. For us, pre-warmed eggs/sausage didn't seem to matter one iota in this comparison.
-The people at this hotel make the difference. Since you have a choice where you stay (and pay a lot of money each night) stay where the people who work there make the difference!

WE HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS LOCATION.

• Liked — Cleanliness, staff, airport location/shuttle
  • Disliked — Loud highway traffic on one side of building yet no highway and much quieter on the other side of building.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family