“Good food, inconsistent service” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Neighborhood: Washington
Indianapolis
“Good food, inconsistent service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2010

I have been to Sawasdee many times, and love their food overall. But their service is a bit undesired.

Once they charged my credit card $5 more tip than I signed. I found out a month later after I received the credit card statement and compared it to my original receipt.

Another time, my girl friend and I had lunch there, and gave the waiter 2 credit cards to pay separately. He ended up charging both of our lunch to my credit card (swipe my card twice with different total). My girlfriend found out when she was signing her receipt.

So watch out their charges.

Indianapolis
“Fabulous Food and Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2009

I have eaten many times at Sawasdee - the food is great as is the service. Having moved from London (UK) and eaten great Thai I made it a personal mission to find a Thai restaurant here in Indy. Sawasdee is that place. I would and do recommend it to everyone - interestingly they all think it is great too. That means something, especially as I work at an International School. I am almost offended that a couple of people say they had a bad experience - GO BACK AGAIN. That would be a smart thing to do, and fair. MJS

Indianapolis, IN
“Sawasdee ...very disappointing!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2009

8/13/09
Just returned from my first visit to the Sawasdee Restaurant and experienced the worst dinner I've ever had. Having read a good review of the Poh Taek (soup that is a main dish), I ordered it. The menu describes it as consisting of shrimp, squid, mussels, fresh fish balls. There was one shrimp, one mussel, fake crab meat and tough chewy white things that could not have possibly been fish! I had to pull some kind of stringy sticks from my mouth that were in the soup. There was nothing else that came with this $15 soup.....no rice, no spring roll, no salad, nor bread....nothing....just this rotten soup with fake fish!! The service was lousy. No one came over to take my drink order. There were 6 of us and I don't think my fellow diners were that fond of their meals either.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Gomer75
Seattle, Washington
“Very goof Thai in Indianapolis”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2009

I've had many a lunch at Sawasdee and never been disappointed in the food.

Understand that the restaurant IS in Indianapolis, so they've dialed back the heat for the sake of the Midwesterners. They offer mild, medium, or hot spice and I've found the so-called "medium" needs kicking up a bit. That said, the flavor is always very good and the entrees are served hot.

As with many ethnic restaurants, the menu translations are less than perfect and often the translations are fairly amusing. Based on the attached photo, the Ladd Nar must be "to die for" as it comes in a "light grave sauce."

While the food is consistently good, the service can be a bit more spotty. If you're there in the midst of the lunch rush....well, let's just say it isn't "fast food". But if you have time and a taste for Thai, Sawasdee is just the place to tickle your tonsils.

Indianapolis, IN
“Outstanding Thai food - best in the city”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2009

Although Sawasdee faces increasingly stiff competition in Indy, it remains the city's best Thai restaurant. The food is outstanding, the service is friendly and reliable and the atmosphere is very pleasant. I have eaten here numerous times for lunch and dinner and have never been disappointed. If you appreciate good Thai food or are just thinking of trying Thai food for the first time, I highly recommend Sawasdee. But don't take my word for it -- to accommodate the great demand for seating, the restaurant recently doubled in size (although it's still a little on the small side)

1 Thank owldog