“Sawasdee ...very disappointing!”

Neighborhood: Washington
“Sawasdee ...very disappointing!”
Reviewed August 13, 2009

8/13/09
Just returned from my first visit to the Sawasdee Restaurant and experienced the worst dinner I've ever had. Having read a good review of the Poh Taek (soup that is a main dish), I ordered it. The menu describes it as consisting of shrimp, squid, mussels, fresh fish balls. There was one shrimp, one mussel, fake crab meat and tough chewy white things that could not have possibly been fish! I had to pull some kind of stringy sticks from my mouth that were in the soup. There was nothing else that came with this $15 soup.....no rice, no spring roll, no salad, nor bread....nothing....just this rotten soup with fake fish!! The service was lousy. No one came over to take my drink order. There were 6 of us and I don't think my fellow diners were that fond of their meals either.

2 Thank Gomer75

Seattle, Washington
“Very goof Thai in Indianapolis”
Reviewed June 13, 2009

I've had many a lunch at Sawasdee and never been disappointed in the food.

Understand that the restaurant IS in Indianapolis, so they've dialed back the heat for the sake of the Midwesterners. They offer mild, medium, or hot spice and I've found the so-called "medium" needs kicking up a bit. That said, the flavor is always very good and the entrees are served hot.

As with many ethnic restaurants, the menu translations are less than perfect and often the translations are fairly amusing. Based on the attached photo, the Ladd Nar must be "to die for" as it comes in a "light grave sauce."

While the food is consistently good, the service can be a bit more spotty. If you're there in the midst of the lunch rush....well, let's just say it isn't "fast food". But if you have time and a taste for Thai, Sawasdee is just the place to tickle your tonsils.

Indianapolis, IN
“Outstanding Thai food - best in the city”
Reviewed May 28, 2009

Although Sawasdee faces increasingly stiff competition in Indy, it remains the city's best Thai restaurant. The food is outstanding, the service is friendly and reliable and the atmosphere is very pleasant. I have eaten here numerous times for lunch and dinner and have never been disappointed. If you appreciate good Thai food or are just thinking of trying Thai food for the first time, I highly recommend Sawasdee. But don't take my word for it -- to accommodate the great demand for seating, the restaurant recently doubled in size (although it's still a little on the small side)

1 Thank owldog
Marion,IN
“Very Disappointing”
Reviewed February 26, 2009

Well, where to begin!! I guess I should start with the menu. I have never been to a Thai restaurant that did not have soups as an appetizer. All of the soups were priced as an entree $10.95, WOW! Further reading found that soup was included with most entrees along with a spring roll. Great, until you find that it is a thin broth with a sprinkling of Thai vegetables in a very small finger bowl. The server could speak little/no English and it was very noticeable. My son and I ordered the same dish, his with beef, mine with pork and we specifically asked that NO peppers of any kind be in the dish. I guess you know what's coming.....the portion was the smallest I had ever seen in a Thai restaurant with maybe 10-12 very small, thinly sliced pieces of meat and loaded with green and banana peppers. My wife, son and I told the server that we would like the dishes spiced Medium, which in most Thai restaurants has a bit of a kick to it. There was no spiciness in either of our entrees(My wife's was very short on chicken also). When the server came around to ask how it was, I tried to explain about our dissatisfaction and her response was a smile with OK, thank you. So I know she had no idea what I had said. We were just amazed at how bad our experience was, especially after I had read all of the reviews on here. My son, who lives in the Indy area had heard from others about how good Sawasdee was supposed to be. This was my wife's birthday dinner and I can say I am embarassed that I chose such a lemon to take her out to. We have had much better experiences at other Thai restaurants in the Indy area so we will never return to Sawasdee!

2 Thank 732MPD
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Ever since I moved I miss it but I would make the drive when given the time!!!!!”
Reviewed January 30, 2009