“The Tacos are special”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Downtown Indianapolis
Reviewed June 30, 2019

My partner loves the COCHINITA PIBIL tacos and I favor the POLLO ASADO tacos. Both are excellent. We have been there many times. Basement is good for drinking at night and the courtyard is great for brunch

1  Thank newpal
Write a reviewReviews (240)

Reviewed June 27, 2019 via mobile

Great Mex selections, street style tacos. House margarita was excellent. Wait stagg was a little slow, but overall great experience!!

Reviewed June 25, 2019

Between my wife and me, I was the one excited to come here based on things I had read over the past year as I enjoy tacos, but she was the one raving when we left. I guess for me, the taste of the food was not enough to outweigh the lack of quantity nor somewhat higher prices.

We made reservations via Open Table for 4 at 6:30 on a Monday and had no issue getting in. We dropped off the girls to go find a parking space and they were asked if they preferred to be upstairs, on the patio, or in the basement. The girls replied upstairs, which apparently is simply the ground floor where you enter as they seated us at a picnic style table against the wall to the left of the entrance.

We split 2 chip-themed appetizers with their Queso ($6) and Trio ($10) that included guac, salsa verde, and a red chipotle salsa that was very smoky. The queso came in what looked like a small iron skillet and reminded me in taste of a fondue, but the other folks with me didn't care for it. The verde was one of the better ones I have had with a little spicy kick, but I'm not a huge fan of smoky salsas, although the other couple with us loved it. The guac was good and chunky, not amazing but not bad.

My wife and I ordered fish ($4 each) and shrimp ($4 each) tacos along with the hongos (mushroom) tostadas (3 for $7). The tacos are displayed nicely, but are not much more than 2 - 3 bites in size. Each comes in a single corn tortilla. My wife is not usually a fan of these, but these were a success due to their flavor not overwhelming the contents and their being sturdy enough to not tear apart as you eat them. Both the shrimp and the fish come breaded, I would guess you could possibly ask for grilled, but I didn't think to do so. The fish was good, but I liked the shrimp better. To be honest, I probably prefer the shrimp and fish tacos at Chuy's, but they both tasted good. My wife loved the mushroom mixture on the tostada, but we both thought the shells it came on was lacking in texture and flavor. Would have preferred them as taquitos or even tacos.

The other 3 in my group split a pitcher of their margarita and seemed to think highly of it. Our server Brittany was attentive without being pushy. She was good at answering our questions.

In the end, I wouldn't be opposed to coming back, but it wouldn't be my first choice. The others in my group probably feel more fondly of it.

2  Thank Jason_W_in_Indiana
Reviewed May 26, 2019

The name of the restaurant is misleading for sure. Sounds more like a British pub. But the tacos were amazing. I liked them so much I ordered six. Every flavor was unique and tasty. I would definitely go there again!

Date of visit: May 2019
Reviewed May 13, 2019

Very good selection of Tacos. Fast and efficient service and nicely furbished on Mass Avenue. Can get crowded.

Date of visit: May 2019