“Great Environment, Amazing Food, Delicious Drinks”
Review of Bakersfield

Bakersfield
Ranked #36 of 2,216 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Downtown Indianapolis
Reviewed February 26, 2019

This is my go to if I am on Mass Ave with a group of friends! The tacos are really good and the drinks are GREAT. The margarita pitchers are the best value if you have a couple of friends to split it up with. The food is a little pricey, but it's quality. However, if you try to go on the weekend, be prepared to wait at least an hour and a half for a table. No big deal though - just put your name in and walk around the shops!

Date of visit: October 2018
Write a reviewReviews (240)

Reviewed February 22, 2019 via mobile

Really good quality Mexican inspired dishes. Just gave it 4 stars because it is a little pricy for what you get. But everything is very well prepared.

Reviewed February 14, 2019

The better half and I decided to do our usual day before Valentines Day Valentines Day. We often celebrate with a meal out, but also folded a day trip to Indianapolis into the mix. You know, get outa Dodge! We have hung out in the current day downtown area before and decided to do so again. We checked out the James Whitcomb Riley Home, then headed to the trendy Mass Ave area for lunch.
One of the wrinkles in out trip to the deservedly well rated Bakersfield Restaurant was parking. If you're not a conventioneer with your vehicle in a parking garage, parking spaces super close to the restaurant may be sparse. From the restaurant we headed northeast on Massachusetts and found street parking within a block or two of the restaurant. What we were unfamiliar with was the newish parking system used for the street parking. Despite carefully following the instructions at the parking station I found myself gloves off in the ~0 degree windchill wrestling with the parking station machine and getting nowhere. A passerby noticed my discomfort and said he too had the same problem in the past, and his solution was to download the app which was easier to use. This I did to excellent effect: I had the ParkMobile app downloaded and an account created in half the time I spent fiddling with the uncooperative parking station machine curbside. Highly recommended! You can even extend your parking spot time from the comfort of your table in the restaurant. So, parking resolved, it was a short block and a half walk to Bakersfield.
We arrived just before noon, and were seated immediately. The better half is picky and her preference was accommodated straightaway. Lexie, our server, was friendly and helpful for this our first time visit. She explained the fare was made from scratch from fresh ingredients. She pointed out the menu was somewhat "tapas" style with some food being individual size (eg the tacos), and some items being larger that could also be shared (eg the taquitos). We started with chips and guacamole. At least two aquacates were sacrificed for our delicious appetizer. I ordered 2 fish tacos, and my wife ordered a hongos taco (mushroom) as well as a corn truffle taco. We shared an order of taquitos. Everything was yumbo and nicely presented.
Oh, did I mention the full function bar? I had a draft American Beauty ale by Dogfishhead, and my lovely wife had a Meyer lemon margarita. We have discovered the allure of upscale finely made cocktails and mixed drinks, and the better half declared the margarita to be the best she ever tasted. The "$3 shot of the day" was Redemption Rye, and well, since it was a celebration after all, we shared a shot for dessert. The Redemption's start was caramel buttery and the finish nicely peppery as rye will be. Awesome.
Service ala Lexie was great. Also the manager checked in to say hello. It was obvious this was one well run establishment. We "trust the vibe" in eateries, and the patrons as well as the staff were harmonious.
Bakersfield, we are fans!

Reviewed February 10, 2019

Went with group of friends to celebrate...food, drinks (margarita pitchers) excellent and high end. Cost reasonable. Staff friendly, professional and attentive. Great environment! Would visit again and again......

1  Thank Vacation619627
Reviewed February 4, 2019

While the menu isn’t vast, it is more than ample! We started with chips and salsa. I’m a bit of a salsa snob. This is served with a green and a red salsa. The red is smoky and delicious. That’s not to say the green isn’t good, but for us it was overshadowed by the red. We also had the quest which is yummy but fills you up! I could see going here for drinks and apps but then you would pass up the tacos. Don’t do that. You order per taco. We each ordered 3 different ones and were satisfied with full tummies! All were good, but I wouldn’t go again without ordering the short rib version! One son ordered the tostadas but wasn’t a fan as much as he likes the tacos.
Drinks are good, too. I had a premium margarita and Wow! Such good flavors. Everything is made in house, fresh, and quality.

1  Thank pegalewis