“Not bad”

Ranked #133 of 180 Hotels in Indianapolis
Merrillville
“Not bad”
Reviewed July 23, 2014

My two children and I stayed there for what was supposed to be three nights but had to cut our trip short. The front desk was very helpful and has no problem refunding me for the one night we didn't get to stay. Wished they had those signs do not disturb or please clean room. We were never bothered but the cleaning lady never made it to our room and we were on the first floor. The front desk worker was very helpful and super friendly. I would stay there again

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Noelmarie82
Peyton H, Owner at Indy Lodge, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
We appreciate that you took the time to tell us what we did right, but also for letting us know where things weren't so great. We like the good comments of course, but the "unhappy" ones give us the opportunity to improve. Housekeeping is very much expected everyday when visiting the Indy Lodge and I regret that somehow we missed your room. Did you report this to the Front Desk at any time during your stay? Please accept my apology for letting you down as I understand it is more pleasant to return to your room and everything is tidy again. We hope that otherwise things were up to expectations and that you will come back to see us again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

We requested a renovated apartment and got one, but this was far from renovated. The only thing they did was paint and install laminate flooring in entrance, still all old appliances, fixtures etc. Moulding that was hanging off of the walls, fans hanging from ceiling, a bathtub dented and dirty (would not use) a blanket not a comforter and no bed skirt, just wrapped in plastic. The armoire was missing the doors and there was ants on the floor, seriously i can go on. I really do like to give the non-name brand hotels a shot but this was a huge mistake. Lots of young kids hanging around and saying things to us outside made us feel uncomfortable and made it seem like a drug activity area. And as noted by someone else the evening hotel desk lady spends a lot of her time smoking outside the door (she was nice though) Oh yea! And the walls were paper thin, woke up in the morning to the neighbors making babies! Able to hear everything, everything. Please do seriously ask to see the room first, i would REALLY not recommend this place.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank J P
Peyton H, Owner at Indy Lodge, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Dr. JP of Dayton,
My goodness. First let me sincerely thank you for your feedback. I'm as outraged to hear of your experience as you must have been living the experience. I will offer no excuse except to say that we obviously were overbooked and put you into a room that was far from renovated or ready for guests. Please accept my sincere apologies that this happened to you and your family. I do not wish to make excuses, but it sounds as if your original reservation was not for "an apartment" and we tried to accommodate you with an older room that was long in need of repair. Instead we should have put you in your intended room (which was not an apartment) or helped you to find another property for you to stay. I am truly heart-broken to hear of your experience as we have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars and now have some beautiful rooms. I wish you could have been place in one of these. I have personally taken up the issue of the employee and how she spends her time. Again, my deepest apologies and I wish there was a way to make this up to you.
Flushing, NY
Reviewed June 4, 2014

We were greeted by a sweaty female wearing a white t - shirt and blue jeans who was planting flowers. The room and hallways smelled like cigarettes. All of the employees hang out outside and smoke. The pool was out of service. No continental breakfast. We were told that the Internet is slow because the walls are in the way. NEVER AGAIN!

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Jeremy J
Peyton H, Owner at Indy Lodge, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Greetings Jeremy. Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We, at the independently owned, Indy Lodge regret that your experience was anything less than stellar. The good news is that our beautiful, acid-scrubbed, indoor pool is now open. While we had some very helpful volunteers planting flowers out front, our front desk staff was there to greet and check you in. We have a designated smoking area for guests away from the building and with room renovations ongoing, the building has an increasingly fresh smell throughout. We do not provide or advertise breakfasts, my apologies this was not disclosed when booking your stay. We regret that you had any problems with the internet service during your visit, follow up testing has been completed to assure our guests have internet access. We appreciate constructive criticism, as it helps us to get better as we continually strive to provide high-quality accommodations and service to our guests.
Ringwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 27, 2014

Booked through Priceline - upon arrival my reservation was not made so I had to pay premium price to stay there on top of the Priceline booking fee. The room was damp, floors dirty and noise between rooms was poor. I had at least expected some help from the front desk staff who seemed more interested in taking money for 2 extra nights than contacting Priceline to sort it out. Glad I don't have to visit again any time soon!

Room Tip: Rooms in the Marriott are much nicer for same price!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Chris K
Peyton H, Owner at Indy Lodge, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. Please accept our apologies that your Priceline reservation was not handled differently. The Indy Lodge guest rooms have been renovated; we continue to work diligently to provide high-quality accommodations and exceptional service to our guests at low-cost. We regret any inconvenience or discomfort that you may have experienced while visiting the Indy Lodge and would welcome the opportunity to make things right with you if you are in the area. Again, thank you for your feedback, it is appreciated and has been addressed accordingly.
Westland, Michigan
Reviewed April 27, 2014

Well you get what you pay for with this place. We had a room that stunk like old smoke. No remote for the TV. No power on night stand or bed side (needed for CPAP). Pool was closed. Wifi was not working (must have been since it was so busy). Staff was very nice. No major issues. Hotel was completely booked for an event, so the room must not have been one that was renovated. It is next to Red Lobster, so if you want to have a nice meal and a few drinks, you don't have to walk far.

Room Tip: I hear there are renovated rooms, ask for them. Also book directly through hotel as you will pay mo...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Wendell G
Hi Wendell,
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback. Sadly, we do have guests that break the rules and smoke in our rooms. We use industrial ozone machines to clean the air, we dry clean the curtains, change the linens and steam clean the carpet and other bits of the room to rid it of odors. We regret that your rooms slipped by our housekeeping inspection without going through this rigorous process. We try to tell all our guests, if there is anything you don't like about a room at check-in, to let us know and we'll get you another one. If you come back, ask for one of our newly renovated rooms and enjoy our indoor pool area as well. We regret that your experience wasn't top-notch with us and we will keep working harder to avoid such experiences in the future. Thanks.
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed April 17, 2014

When I do business travel and the company pays for my stay, they normally book brand name hotels. When I travel with my family, we stay in small boutique hotel. We find the Indy Lodge is a great getaway place when we go to Indianapolis, IN. We go there several times per year and we love to return to the Indy Lodge especially now that the new owners have ramped up the place a few notches. This place is a gem and the price is just about right. You can't get this kind of price for the value that you're getting. Soon, they will open up the pool. I was there last week. They have the pool restored but waiting for license/inspection. It looks beautiful!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Ron R
Hello Ron from Tulsa,
Thank you for your kind review from your last trip. We are delighted you have discovered the Indy Lodge on the south side of town, just 8 miles from the center of downtown. We have now opened the pool and things are splashing about just super. We have new rooms coming up everyday so please come visit us again soon and take a dip.
McLean, Virginia
Reviewed April 4, 2014

I stay at the Indy Lodge every times I'm in Indianapolis. The price is right. They have a simple rewards program even I understand. The new owners are very caring people. They have great staff who care about the property and guests.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Sammy A
Hi Sammy in Virginia,
We are happy to hear that you like our rewards program. We think it's pretty special, but also very simple! Anyone can take advantage of it. We appreciate your taking the time to write a few words and review us. Thanks for mentioning our caring staff; we also appreciate our staff which show everyday that they truly care about the building and our guests. The way to keep our guests happy is to make sure our staff are all happy, too. We work hard everyday to keep it this way. Come back soon and check out our new rooms and open indoor pool.