“Pass the greens and cornbread, please!"”

Mississippi Belle Restaurant
Ranked #350 of 2,403 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Reviewed September 25, 2011

This is a humble restaurant with humble furnishings, and humble food, but boy is it good! Anyone who knows anything about the origins of "soul food" knows about its humble beginnings. It is the LOVE that's put into preparing the food that makes it special, and I would say that this restaurant is pretty special.

We dined on a Sunday, and fortunately, when we arrived around 1:30pm, the place was mostly empty. On Sundays, the food is served family-style. Each diner chooses a meat, and the table shares 4-side dishes served in big bowls. Other days of the week are served normal entrees from the menu. I chose the ribs and ordered one piece of fried chicken just to taste. My husband ordered the roasted pork. For our side dishes, we had green beans, yams, macaroni and cheese and dressing. Hot water cornbread is complimentary with each meal, and I cannot say enough about how perfect that cornbread was! Surprisingly, the food was wheeled out on a cart within minutes, which was GREAT! All of the meats were moist, tender and delicious; though, I think the ribs may have been boiled...maybe just baked? But I'm almost positive not grilled. Anyway, the meat was still very flavorful and tender and moist. The fried chicken was well-seasoned and crispy. My husband's pork was delicious, too. Sliced very thin almost like turkey, and topped with gravy. All of the portions were very generous. You shouldn't leave here hungry, and we like to eat! lol

They also have desserts: peach cobbler, sweet potato pie and cakes. We purchased the cobbler and sweet potato pie. The cobbler was not the best I've ever had. I was sadly disappointed, but the sweet potato pie!? Chile...hush yo mouth! Delicious!

This will definitely be a regular stop for us now. I'm so glad we found it. Oh, and remember how I said the restaurant was nearly empty when we arrived??? When we left, we were squeezing through bodies to get to the register and get out of the door. There were huge families dining together before we left. They probably had a couple of parties of 12 - 16, and the rest of the dining room was packed. We just got there at a GREAT time!

All of the employees were friendly, except one of the cashiers who acted like it would kill her to smile. lol Our server gave us a HUGE hug when we left. :-) How can you leave in a bad mood with a hug???

Reviewed September 12, 2011

My boyfriend is stationed in Indiana and we decided to try something different when I visited Indiana. I found this restaurant online, and it was very easy to find. The menu selections are great and we enjoyed the family style serving idea. There was alot of food and I have never heard of getting refills on your meat portions. But if you do get a refill on your meats you cannot take it to go. You can only take a to go plate with the food that's on your plate. The downtown area was busy with baseball games and people sightseeing the historical parks. I would definitley visit the area again.

1  Thank TravelingDiva704
Reviewed January 28, 2010

I'm from St. louis and I have eaten at soul food restaurants all over the country. The food at Mississippi Belle was outstanding. It was fresh, flavorful, tastey and very good quality. I am definitely going to make it a point to visit them again the next time I'm either in the area or just passing through. In fact, I might even plan a trip just to have dinner there. You must visit Mississippi Belle and experience the excellent food, you will be very happy you did.

1  Thank roybenz
Reviewed February 23, 2009

This was a first time for me at Mississippi Belle. After the memorial service for my infant son October of 2008. My church family took myself and several other family members both from here in Noblesville, Indiana and Columbus, Ohio. The family style serving of food is a great concept that way you can taste it all. The Fried Chicken, Greens, Yams, Mac & Cheese, Dressing w/Gravy, Corn Bread and the Ice Tea/Lemonade mix was DELICIOUS. The Servers are very delightful. I have not been back but plan on going soon. You know what they say about first impressions.

1  Thank ms_tiffj
Reviewed November 18, 2007

I've eaten there twice and not only is the food sooooo heavenly good the service is great too!!!!! The waitresses/waiters are so outgoing and polite. There might be a slight wait for your food because its always packed, but the food is soooo worth the wait. I could be starving and I'd still wait even for an hour to eat there. It's that good!!!!

2  Thank jktad5