The Tamale Place
Ranked #12 of 2,412 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: Latin, Mexican
Reviewed August 4, 2014

Overall, we were very pleased with the tamales from the Tamale Place. They have a great amount of flavor, and huge menu to please even the pickiest eaters. We were a bit disappointed with the set up though....long line out the door, no where to wait for food to be prepared and there was no where to sit for quite some time. I'd suggest taking it to go!

Reviewed July 26, 2014

I've been to this place once before this visit and it was good. Unfortunately, on this visit they were sold out of the tamale I wanted. The only chicken tamale they had was a spicy one wrapped in a leaf. It wasn't that bad but a little too spicy for me. I did get some chicken nachos and they were so so so delicious. They give you a lot. It's enough to share with three people. I would visit again.

1  Thank Casandra H
Reviewed July 24, 2014

We went here after seeing it on Diner’s Drive-in and Dives. The food was very good and the service was quick. They had a wide variety of tamales available to order from. We tried several different versions and all of them were excellent. If you’re in the Indy area and searching for authentic Mexican, plan to make a stop here.

1  Thank myrickbrian
Reviewed July 22, 2014

This is a very tiny restaurant. You order at the counter, wait for your food and hope there is a table when you get your food. I have always gotten my food to go so I don't worry about seating.

I originally saw this on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives and decided to check it out. I don't know anything about tamales and haven't tried them. I tried the spicy chipotle chicken tacos and I'm afraid I've never tried anything else, I love them so much. The taco shells are soft but not the wimpy soft you get most places. Be sure to get them 'loaded' or 'with everything' so you get the onions and cilantro with it. Also comes with a couple of lime wedges that just finish off the flavors. Whenever I get to Indy, I have to stop there and get my tacos. If you are expecting something similar to Taco Bell tacos, you might as well stick to Taco Bell. These are nothing like them and are great

If you are going there for tamales, they only make a certain number of each kind every day. They list what they have and how many are left on a white board. I've heard that they often sell out of many of the tamales (sometimes all) so you may be disappointed if you are set on a certain tamale. If so, you should call ahead and pre order.

The furnishings and decor are very plain. You don't go here for the ambience - just the food!

1  Thank ibmjas
Reviewed July 22, 2014

My wife and I did a triathlon in Indy so we decided we would have our post-race meal here. We had discovered it on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives, so this gave us our chance to try it.

Without question, the food quality was everything we had hoped it would be! Everything is made from scratch, and I am guessing, was probably the most authentic of Mexican that I had ever had. I say "probably", because I've never been to Mexico, so I'd be guessing!

There are two things you really need to know about this place before going, however, and we did not fully grasp either one, which led to a mild disappointment. First, it truly is not a sit-down restaurant. It is truly a take-out restaurant, which happens to have five or six tables set up for those that want to eat in! You order your food at the counter, pay for it, and they call your name when it is ready, which is almost immediately! The other issue was, and they have it right on their website (so I have no one to blame but me!), they do not guarantee that they will have the type of tamale that you want at any given time of day. If you want to be guaranteed a certain type, you must call in advance. Well, since we were meeting friends and we were eating at 2:00 in the afternoon, we figured this would be safe. Nope! They only had about 6 different types of tamales available, and wouldn't have another batch out until about 3:00. CALL FIRST!

The food, as I mentioned, was really, really good. The tamales were as good as advertised (my favorite was the pork in red sauce), and my wife said the fish taco was to die for. Portions were huge, also. Our friends had the nachos, which we also shared, and they were spectacular, as well.

Overall, I'm very glad we tried this place, and I'll know what to do next time, if there is one. :)

1  Thank TimmyB1957