“Great Place. .”

The Tamale Place
Ranked #12 of 2,416 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: Latin, Mexican
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Wow....What great food! We were a party of 4. We had fast service. .I would highly recommend to all..

Reviewed July 4, 2013

Great food. The tamales were terrific, but for us, the real star was the pork taco. It is carnitas with fresh chopped onion, cilantro, and a wedge of lime. Here's the kicker. They take their corn tortilla, put cheese on it, and put it on the flat top to melt the cheese. Fantastic. The mild salsa is also amazing. Make sure you get some to take home.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

My wife and I ventured to the west side to check this place out after reading the reviews. As you've probably read, it is limited on seating so you will get cozy with your neighbors most likely. Also, a line does build quickly, however it also moves along quickly as they are pretty efficient in what they do. Although they do have a menu high above the area in which you order, if you are looking for tamales you will need to study the dry-erase board on the wall to the right as it indicates what they have and how many. They actually subtract from their inventory as you order to stay on top of what they run out of.

With regard to the food, I ordered a mild beef tamale in red sauce, a spicy pork tamale in green sauce and a steak taco with everything on it. My wife selected a veggie tamale in green sauce, a spicy chipotle chicken taco and a chorizo and egg taco. Let me say that the tamales are some of the largest I have gotten at a restaurant. I really like a good tamale and enjoyed these. The red sauce was lacking in my beef tamale, but it did have a lot of beef. The was plenty of pork in the other and the spicy green sauce and both very tasty as well as spicy. The steak taco was good and cheesy. Of my wife's food, she was disappointed in the lack of veggies in her tamale as there simply wasn't much in it. Her tacos on the other hand were probably the two best things we ate overall and quite possibly the best tacos we've ever had, with the chorizo and egg being my favorite.

I did see in some reviews some complaints about the service and lack of regular plates, but we found the service to be friendly and efficient and the plates to be good enough for what we needed. This isn't a fancy sit-down place, and I don't think it tries to give any impression otherwise.

Overall, if we lived closer we would be regulars. Although tamale is in their name and they are good, the tacos so far seem to be the star of the show. Plenty of folks around us appeared to order the combo at about $9 which would include rice or black beans, chips & salsa, and a drink, but we thought spending about $3.50 for each tamale and under $3 for each taco was a better deal if you're looking for variety and trying different things. I do recommend having a game plan of what you want before you get to the counter just to keep the line moving along.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

We finally were able to stop in here and give this place a try. We ordered 2 tamales to go- one chicken- in corn husk and one pork in banana leaves. Both were very flavorful and had plenty of filling. We will go back again and try more items.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Yum, Yum, Yum!!! I didn't know what a great tamale is supposed to taste like until I tasted The Tamale Place ones. I am an out-of-towner who will definitely stop by this place again when in Indy. The spicy ones were delicious and had a good kick to them. Also tried the taco and it was wonderful served on corn tortilla with plenty of cilantro and melted cheese along with the chicken. Shared a half torte sandwich with hubby yummy! Got one of the last remaining pumpkin tamales (no other choices left) and it was like eating a great pumpkin pie.

The food is excellent and that is why I rated as such. The restaurant is counter service with picnic tables - don't expect fine dining but the food is VERY fine! I did not like tamales before as everywhere I had one they were just big globs of cornbread The Tamale Place has perfected the ratio of masa to meat and you just gotta try them. DDD got it right.