“Well worth a visit”

The Tamale Place
Ranked #12 of 2,409 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: Latin, Mexican
Reviewed March 14, 2013

First off, I am not a huge fan of Mexican food, but after seeing it advertised on "Diners, Dives, and Drive-Ins" I thought it worthy of a visit, and am glad we did. We both ordered the $8 combo. Wow, talk about filling! It included your choice of any tamale (which comes wrapped in corn husks), black beans or rice, chips and salsa, and a drink. The Tamale Place is small, located in a strip mall, but the size is perfect for the guests they serve, or at least it was on a Wednesday evening about 5:15 P.M. The parking lot was almost crowded, and quite a few customers were in line. However, the serve time is very quick. You dispose of your trash in covered garbage cans located at the entrance, which cuts down on labor, and therefore does not escalate the price of the food. I would most certainly recommend The Tamale Place for anyone who wants authentic Mexican food

Reviewed March 12, 2013

We were visiting Indianapolis and I had heard things about this place so i wanted to try it out. I was amazed the food was so good. We ate there and then I had to buy more to take home with me. I am glad I don’t live to close by because this place would have all my money. I would recommend getting the Chipotle Chicken it was delicious.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I've been planning on eating at The Tamale Place for at least a year. I never took the time when I was in the Indy area to search it out. Big mistake. The food is terrific!

Since we had never been there before, we weren't sure if it would be very good. Figured that if it didn't meet expectations we could leave. It's located in a small strip mall with a parking lot that was pretty full. That was a good sign. When we opened the door to The Tamale Place the line to place an order was back to the door. Most fast food businesses could learn from them. We were up to the counter within a few minutes and our orders were ready before we got to the checkout register. Great service.

I ordered a chipolte beef tamale combo with hot salsa (tamale, chips, salsa, rice or black beans, and a drink) for $8.00. The tamale was much larger than I expected. Good balance between masa and filling. The beef and salsa were spicy hot with great flavor. Many establishments have hot sauces that are hot and spicy, but with little if any flavor. The Tamale Place gives you the heat without sacrificing on taste.

The preparation and cooking area is right behind the order counter. Freshly made tamales, etc. right on site.

Very little seating. We shared a picnic table with a couple of guys on their lunch break. I see this as part of the charm of their atmosphere. If you're looking for a fancy dining room, this won't be the place. What it lacks in fancy dining is more than made up for with a warm, friendly experience.

I will be sure to return on another trip to Indy or perhaps I'll make a trip to Indy for an excuse to eat at The Tamale Place.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

Geez, I've never had a tamale gift wrapped in a corn husk! Augusto and his family really know how to do tamales right! An $8 combo is exactly the ticket! you get rice or beans, chips and salsa, drink, and a huge tamale wrapped and steamed, not to mention, seasoned, just right. like others have said, "Get there before 1 in the afternoon, or there won't be any tamales left"...they're made fresh everyday.
Only wish I lived closer.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

I was introduced to breakfast tacos during an extended visit to Houston in 2001. Corn tortillas with egg and chorizo, a few toppings and salsa, generally for $2 or less. It beats the hell out of any drive-thru you can think of.

A year or two later we heard of The Tamale Place in, I think, Indianapolis Monthly. On the first visit I knew it was great. Actually, better than what I had in Houston. Back then, three egg and chorizo tacos were $5.50 for 3. Arguably the best plate of food for under $10 in any city, let alone Indianapolis.

Today the same tacos in the new location (a new building not 100 yds from the old strip freestanding location) is $7.25 for three. It is still one of the best values in the Circle City. There are many versions, including steak and chicken. But, my favorite and my recommendation will always be the egg and chorizo.

There are plenty of other menu items - tamales, nachos, tortas. All of them are good, but it is the tacos that are the standout to me. Go hungry - leave stuffed and happy.