“Holy smokes what tamales!”
Review of The Tamale Place

The Tamale Place
Ranked #12 of 2,358 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: Latin, Mexican
Chicago, Illinois, USA
“Holy smokes what tamales!”
Reviewed June 10, 2012

I was here a few months ago and they were out of tamales by the time I got there. It happens because of how high they are valued. This time we were passing through Indy nd called an order for pickup. Amazing flavor texture and value since I of these will fill u up.

1 Thank Shekhar T

Indianapolis, Indiana
“My husband's favorite”
Reviewed June 5, 2012

My husband loves to come here for the tamales, I love to come here for the nachos (My favorite tamale is the apple filling, plenty for two to share). We usually take it home because there is always a crowd and all the tables are taken. The ordering process is confusing at first but we are use to it now after visiting several times. The food is freshly made, which means they could sell out of your favorite tamale. Even though they are always extremely busy, the crew here is friendly and Fast.

• Visited June 2012
Cary, North Carolina
“I stumbled upon this place”
Reviewed May 25, 2012

I was on business and an area so far from any restaurants other than your typical fast food places that I was desperate to find a place to take a client. I lucked up and found this spot through my trip advisor location app on my phone. The client was shocked that I found such a unique restaurant in such an out of the way area. The food here is excellent and you can tell that each item is well thought out and made with care. If you like fish tacos they have the best one I have ever eaten hands down. The tamale's are great as well. It just happened that my client(this was our first meeting) was born and raised in Arizona and he was simply amazed by the authenticity of the food and the flavor. I scored big on this meal. It is nothing fancy but it is something special.

Raleigh, NC
“Pure Awesome!”
Reviewed May 23, 2012

This is a great example of local dive with excellent food. You can taste the love they put into their tamales and they only sell what is made that day (updating inventory on a white board as you order). Small seating area, but I see lots of takeout. I hit this place every time I fly into Indy - you need to try it - and get the side of rice and beans.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
“Surprised by it's rating”
Reviewed May 23, 2012

We live in Rosarito Mexico so we have access to GREAT tamales. The tamales at The Tamale Place are similar in style but that's where the comparison ends... I had the "poblano chile & cheese" which had the strangest cheese I have ever eaten. It was dry and I had to use a fork to cut it. The chiles part was almost non-existant. My husband had the pork with green sauce - the pork was excellent but "where's the sauce?" Also the guacamole was not very good. Would not return.

2 Thank Stephanie2733