“Great local dive”

Cuisines: American, Soups
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

Featured on Diners Drive-in's and Dives this restaurant is located on the near east side of Indianapolis. Don't expect chic and upscale this place is all about great food reasonably priced. The breaded tenderloin sandwich was big enought for two, tender, moist and flavorful. This is Hoosier home cookin at its best.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

Had to make time for a trip to Indy to check this place off my bucket list. I was there for the beef and noodles, made famous on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, and the green beans which I had learned from a previous Tripadvisor review were made with bacon and I just couldn't pass that up.

While waiting on my lunch, I watched the other diners' plates pass through the room. Some incredible looking pot roast breezed by, then a huge bowl of chili, next came pancakes and eggs and sausage, oh my, why didn't I order that?! It soon became very apparent I'll need to make another trip to the Steer-In.

My beef and noodles, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans and roll showed up, time to dig in! Okay yes, the noodles are just like the ones my mamma made - delicious. My only note is that they are a little on the salty side. Sadly, the mashed potatoes tasted like they were instant, however, the gravy kept them from being a total loss. Now those green beans, they were awesome! I'd have to say some of the best green beans I've ever eaten. I didn't spend much time with my roll, it was a little hard so I tossed it aside and finished every bite on my plate.

Now I'm an "eater" as my husband says, so needless to say I had to try a bit of what he was having. The Twin-Steer, a double-decker cheese burger, was super! Burger cooked perfectly, melted cheese and that incredible sauce! I should've gotten one of these! Oh, and did I mention he had my favorite crinkle fries?

Needless to say, I was very impressed with the Steer-In. The food was great and the service was perfect. I'll definitely be back this way again . . . probably a few times.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

We came here about a month ago and I ordered the fish and chips which weren't too bad. The staff was very friendly and the place was clean with lots of history. I would stop in again!

Reviewed April 21, 2013

While recently in the area, our daughter suggested a visit to the Historic Steer In for a late lunch.
We are very happy we did. Wife and I had the beef Manhattan and she had the beef and noodles. Just like Mammaw used to make was daughters comment. The best Manhattan I have had since the one at the Three Pigs restaurant in Bedford, IN back in the 70's.
The building is a bit dated, the floor and furniture shows use, service was friendly and efficient.
Typical old school Mom and Pop (and son it sounds like) place = great food in an older facility.
Don't expect the Ritz, plan on a great home cooked meal!
Our meals were about $10.00 each and included one side and a drink with to go refill option.
We will be returning for another great meal!

Reviewed April 18, 2013

I've gone to the Steer-In off and on since the 60's. The food is good, the menu is varied, and the service has always been good when I've been there. And, unlike a lot of restaurants, they offer their breakfast menu all day.