“A vanishing breed”

Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Reviewed July 2, 2013

These days it is hard to find a Chinese restaurant that does what I call old fashioned Chinese food and is not trying to be everything to everyone, a giant buffet with usually mediocre food, or an essentially fast food Chinese carryout where the food is kind of average, but okay in a pinch. Oriental Inn is none of those things. It is a family owned and run restaurant that has been in the same location on the east side for 30 years or more, with fast service and friendly wait staff. It's usually the owner who greets you at the door and seats you - he is very jolly and good natured, treating everyone in a friendly manner and after a customer has been in there a few times, he recognizes faces and even sometimes remembers what you like to eat. The decor reminds me of the Chinese restaurants I used to eat in when I was a kid, traditionally Chinese and quite pleasant. The food is very good - have never had anything that I did not like. Most recently I had garlic chicken that was very delicately spiced with just the right amount of garlic, tender chicken, water chestnuts. crunchy celery and sauce that was not overpowering. Egg rolls, crab rangoon, and all the soups are also good. They will work with you on the level of spice you want, adding or subtracting to your taste or bringing it to the table on the side if you want to "do it yourself" - very accomodating in any way they can be. There are a variety of dinner combinations including soup and appetizers, or you can order al a carte, but the value is good and everyone can find something in their price range as almost all entrees are under $20.00, as are many of the dinners, and the amount of food is ample - usually enough to take home some leftovers. This restaurant is well known to east siders and quite popular, but perhaps could be considered a hidden gem to folks from other neighborhoods. Well worth a trip from whatever one you live in to try this little hidden gem.

2  Thank Linda C

Reviewed June 3, 2013

I would say that you get what you pay for from this diamond in the rough of a Chinese restaurant. The inside of the restaurant is nicely decorated for a quiet dinner with the significant other, or for a business meeting. The owner is extremely friendly, and like others have said, he is more than willing to help you with questions about your order - taking all the time that you need to feel comfortable. He advised me on how much food to order to feed my group when I ordered carryout.
The food is very fresh - the flavors are just the right amount of strength and the aroma is good.
They are pretty fast at making up a carryout order.
Only reason I don't give a 5 is because they got a small part of my order wrong, and I think they are more expensive than the average Chinese carryout restaurant - although you do mostly get what you pay for in good service and great food.

1  Thank Andrew M
Reviewed April 25, 2013

the hot sour soup is tasty! although the food is not spicy enough as I thought, but they taste like Chinese food.(I am Chinese)

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Food was great. Price at lunch was to cheap. Hope they don't change it though. Two adults with drinks and only $14.65. Food to box and take home .

1  Thank Robert R
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I used to visit this place often when I worked nearby, but now that I'm not, don't get the chance to visit it nearly as often as I'd like! This place can be a little tricky to find, even though not really hidden. I've almost driven by it several times because it sits back off the main road a little and the paint scheme and sign are not real visible or noticable when you are driving, However, I've not only eaten there a lot in the past, but have probably had 90% of the dishes on thier lunch menu (Best time to go), and the food has always been great! The dishes are always fresm hot, and full of flavor! And even though they have a lunch special menu (& prices) it is often necessary to carry some home because of the portions! I honestly feel they have some of the very best and Top flavored Eggdrop & Hot & Sour soup in the Indianapolis area! And if it were not for the really great main dishes... I could very much go for a huge bowl of both for my meal instead! I've been to hundreds of Asian places to eat & have also spent 8 years in the Far East (Asia - etc) and they indeed can compete with such, especially in comparison to so many others in Indiana. Prices are very reasonable for what you get in portion size, and hey! Who cares when you also get fantastic flavors and nothing bland on your plate! Oh! If the dish says "Hot", you can bet it'll be spicey! Yumm! Service is always friendly and fast, and you don't have to wait long for your main dish after finsihing up the Soup! The Oriental Chips are fresh made there everyday,and the Green Tea is really great! If you like Asian food (primarily Chinese), you indeed need to visit this place! I can't believe it has not been rated in the top 20 Asian places in Indianapolis to go! Not a Fast food joint... and a very comfortable & relaxing atmosphere!

2  Thank Don L