“Don't let the outside mislead you”
Review of Oriental Inn

Oriental Inn
Ranked #197 of 2,358 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
“Don't let the outside mislead you”
Reviewed July 6, 2012 via mobile

For years I drove by this restaurant thinking it was run down. Today I stopped in and was pleasantly surprised. They have a large menu. I stopped for lunch and the prices were very fair and the portions quite large. The service was pretty good although I think they were understaffed. I will go again.

1 Thank boilerbop

Indianapolis
“Oriental Inn of satisfaction”
Reviewed June 28, 2012

The menu is extensive; I love reading it. Questions are answered thoroughly. There's so much variety that I find it difficult to decide on a selection. The servings are generous; I'm full and have enough remaining for another meal. Pleasant surroundings, great service and a terrific meal.

Visited April 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Consistently Good Neighborhood Chinese Food”
Reviewed June 7, 2012

For years our family has frequented The Oriental Inn on Arlington Avenue just south of 16th Street. We have never been disappointed. This is an Irvington institution.

This is a family-run restaurant where people know your name after a few visits. The staff aim to please and are attentive. Requests for substitutions and adjustments to "spiciness" are honored. It is nice to be treated as a welcomed guest.

The Oriental Inn offers affordable lunch and dinner specials that include soup, egg rolls, crab raggoon, and an entre with rice. I especially like the hot and sour soup. The broth is always rich and spicy. My husband is not a fan of too much spice, but he likes the garlic chicken and other less spicy dishes. The range of choices makes it easy to accommodate our different tastes.

The atmosphere is traditional. The lighting is relaxing. This is a good place for a date, a lunch meeting, or a family dinner. The mood is casual but not a strip mall feel.

Portions are generous. My husband and I often split a dinner special and add a bowl of soup. When the kids are with us, we usually have leftovers to take home. When the check comes, fresh fruit, such as slices of oranges or watermelon are included with the traditional fortune cookies.

My only complaint has to do with the ladies' room. It is servicable but has the feel of an amateur home repair. I have no experience with the men's room, but the men in my family have never complained about it. It is possible, however, that we have different standards.

Take out is available, but we enjoy eating there.

• Visited May 2012
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“My whole family loves this place. They remember our names when we go in. The food is reasonably priced and delicious...”
Reviewed February 13, 2009

My whole family loves this place. They remember our names when we go in. The food is reasonably priced and delicious! I particularly love the MuShu Pork.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“This place is great! Do...”
Reviewed November 11, 2007

This place is great! Do yourself a favor and don't order the simple lo mein or broccoli and beef. Order kung pao, sauteed shrimp and scallop or one of their house specialties.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook