“Don't Waste Your Time or $!!!”
Review of Prime 47

Prime 47
Reserve with OpenTable
Prime 47 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #56 of 2,358 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown Indianapolis
Description: Prime 47...Indy's Steakhouse is Indianapolis's only locally owned & operated Prime Steakhouse. In addition to our wonderful steaks we offer a variety a fresh seafood and an extensive wine list. What really sets Prime 47 apart from other Indy steakhouses is our staff. Our servers work in teams of two to ensure that every guests has the Prime Experience. Set in the Majestic Building, Prime 47...Indy's Steakhouse is a site to behold. Built in 1895 for the Indiana Gas Company, this unique building has a lot to offer. From its original tile floors, marble columns and 18-foot windows to view Pennsylvania and Maryland Streets, the atmosphere starts from the ground up. Prime 47 is one of the few downtown Indianapolis steakhouses that features live music nightly.
Carmel, Indiana
“Don't Waste Your Time or $!!!”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Accompanied my husband on a business outing here before the Colt's vs. Denver Game. This place was completely packed, and hand's down the worst meal I have EVER had in an upscale restaurant. Ironically enough, I had one of the best meals ever here a couple years ago when it was Mo's. Last night our dinner for eight was a couple grand, and the ONLY thing I think they did right were the steaks, which I didn't order. To start, the building felt damp and smelled musty, not appetite appealing. The meatballs were overdone and looked like they had been sitting in a warming oven for hours. The hot crab dip wouldn't have been too bad, but the chips they served it with were so salty, it completely ruined the dish. The crab cake tasted fishy and old. And don't even get me started on the soup and sides. Horrible!!! I'm a soup girl, order it almost every time I eat out, and never really met a soup I didn't like. My husband and I ordered the Minestrone, and we both thought it looked and tasted like they opened up a can of tomatoes, dumped a few beans in and warmed it up. In my small cup I had a chunk of tomato that was the size of half the cup and looked like a bloodclot. NO taste to it whatsoever. The Lobster Mac was served cold, no flavor to that either, the asparagus was just steamed and thrown on a plate with bad hollandaise that tasted like it came from a jar. The mashed potatoes weren't even flavorful, and what Steak/Seafood house messes up their Mash? I had the sea bass, one of the most expensive seafood items on the Menu and it was overcooked and dry, which is damned neared impossible to do with sea bass! The head chef here should be completely embarrassed and fired at the very least. Had I been paying with my own money and not been with business people, I would have sent nearly everything back and had a nice long chat with the Manager. I would never go back and highly recommend you choose a downtown restaurant worthy of your money! At least the Colt's won and saved the evening! Robert Irvine really needs to pay this place a visit and introduce this chef to a little thing called Presentation and Flavor!

• Visited October 2013
3 Thank 9Hazel91

Salem, Virginia
“Excellent experience ...”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I hosted a business dinner for 16 people. The food and service were top notch. I highly recommend the shrimp cocktail ... get ready for some of the best cocktail sauce you've ever had. Patrick Roberts was our "service specialist"; he did an outstanding job.

indianapolis
“Good but not great”
Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

Went on northside nights. Food was good but service was spotty. They had two persons waiting on us and wondered if communication between the two was in sync. Desserts were the most disappointing. We had blueberry bread pudding and strawberry shortcake. Very few strawberries and neither dessert would be flavorful without whipped cream. All in all, for this type of upscale steakhouse, the experience was below average.

Visited September 2013
United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great for Business Dinners”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Our organization hosted a business dinner for 17 in the seating area upstairs. The staff was excellent - professional, mannerly, attentive, timely. They presented me with a few wine options to taste and inquired about my time and lighting preferences before our guests arrived, leaving no detail unattended. We had delicious seafood hors d'oeuvres, salad, steak, and a variety plate of desserts. It was easily one of the best fine dining experiences I've had and our guests were impressed. I also appreciated the hand written thank you note I received a few days later. I would offer my highest recommendation of J Hamman to anyone with an appreciation for exemplary customer service and quality food.

Langley City, Canada
“Fine Dining - Steak”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Very Fine steak restaurant. Excellent food in presentation, taste and quality. Excellent attentive staff and servers. Regrettably, steak was not in our budget, however we can fully vouch for the superb drinks, appetisers & desert. Choosing a steak dinner, wait staff will bring out a platter for your perusal, choice and approval prior to kitchen staff preparations. Well worth the $$$$.