“Not fancy, neat place to go.”
Review of John's Famous Stew

John's Famous Stew
Ranked #313 of 2,384 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: American, Delicatessen
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Went for lunch. Had the stew and smashed potatoes with medium heat. It was delicious. The serving was good sized. The place was packed. You know the food is good when all the waitresses are older than me and the place was packed. Our waitress was wunnerful. She made sure we had everything we needed. Our wait was short. They get people in and out. Great for lunch. The building itself is old, but there is a lot of character. If I am ever in Indy, this will definitely by on my go back to eat list.
Actually, all around, it is at the top of places I ate at.

1  Thank Steve K
There are newer reviews for John's Famous Stew

Reviewed June 28, 2012

They do stew to suit you and are very consistent with quality and preparation. Not elegant but basic and wonderful.

Reviewed October 21, 2011

The lunch crowd starts about 11:30 am local time. The stew is great and goes good with the pork tenderloin. When you order the supreme pork tenderloin, ask for a "wet one" then either hot, medium, or mild. The place doesn't look like much, but it has great food. I have seen other food from there and if it is as good as it looks it should be great. The place is acutally a bar, so do not try and take minors to it. The great thing about bars in Indianapolis, IN is that they are all smoke free due to the laws of the county.
To avoid the lunch rush, go at 11:00-11:30 am.

Reviewed September 12, 2011

This blue collar eating establishment has been serving up hot stews and saucy banter from the waitresses (i.e. ask for Betty) for quite some time. It has quite a loyal following for lunch. Prepare for it to be packed most days from 1130 to 1230.

It isn't fancy. It can be loud. However, the service is generally quick and entertaining. The stews are wonderful. For our work crew, we seem to appreciate it most during the fall and winter when a serving of hot stew is just want the body needs.

Give it a whirl. If you aren't a snob, enjoy friendly and saucy banter from the wait staff, and appreciate stews, you will be very satisfied. Guaranteed!

1  Thank Boilermaker_Indy
Reviewed August 9, 2011

Whenever I'm downtown, this is the spot I go too. The food is amazing! I try something new everytime I go in and I am full when I leave. The people that work their are friendly. It's a great place. I crave it and I just go, even if I live 40min away. I know I am going to get a great meal and be pleased.

1  Thank Melissa G